Hey everyone, quick question for anyone who has had an Airrave. I recently canceled my service with Sprint and switched to Verizon. While I was with Sprint I was given an Airrave because of poor network coverage in my home. My brother also has Sprint and has the same coverage issues, so my plan was to give the airrave to him and have him pick up the service on his account. When I called Sprint to tell them about the switch, the rep told me that I have to return the unit and cannot give it to my brother even though he would be paying the monthly fee to use the device. Is it normal practice to return this device even though it will be put to use and Sprint will be getting a monthly fee from it if my brother were to take it? I was very happy with Sprint and their customer service, they went above and beyond to keep me happy as a customer so I have no problem sending the unit back just wanted some opinions from all of you. I wish I could have stayed with Sprint but I needed more reliable coverage in my area due to my job.
    12-23-09 09:06 AM
    the reason they loaned you the airave was to retain a customer they could have lost due to poor in-home reception. now that they are loosing that customer anyway, you have to give it back. it is their property, and there is nothing in it for them to let you pass it around to your friends/family. if your brother needs an airave, just have him call up retentions and say he needs one for his account. i'm sure it will work for him if it worked for you.
    12-23-09 12:35 PM
    I'm pretty sure if they gave you an Airave for free, they'll want it back...
    12-23-09 02:12 PM
    Never heard of this, nor did they do that when I left Sprint.

The equipment isn't a loaner in the first place, there is no "rental" fee for the equipment.
    12-23-09 02:15 PM
    Never heard of this, nor did they do that when I left Sprint.

The equipment isn't a loaner in the first place, there is no "rental" fee for the equipment.
    Maybe it just slipped through the cracks in your case, but the Airrave is usually assigned by 1.) the customer contacting retentions and filing a complaint about the call reception. You are loaned the device and the monthly fee is waived for X number of months or 2.) paying $100 for the device up front and agreeing to pay the $4.99 per month. (you'll be surprised how many people did this).

If you were loaned the device, then you must return it. If you paid up front, then it 'should' be yours.
    12-23-09 02:49 PM
    There in lies the problem.. I got mine free through CS, but they waived the $100 fee. How the **** is the customer supposed to know what happened... They never even said there was a loaning option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 03:27 PM
    That's strange, I received my in July 2009 and along with it came a nicely typed letter outlining the 'conditions'. I wouldn't keep it, sell it, or pass it on to a friend/relative. Who knows what will happen? What if they send you a letter months later asking for it back?
    12-23-09 03:56 PM
    That's strange, I received my in July 2009 and along with it came a nicely typed letter outlining the 'conditions'. I wouldn't keep it, sell it, or pass it on to a friend/relative. Who knows what will happen? What if they send you a letter months later asking for it back?
    I'm not really worried about it since it's been about a year, but it's a confusing situation (if I cared about the airave).

They didn't give me any terms and when they sent me the free airave they told me they would waive the $100 equipment cost, but *never* told me there was a monthly fee, then they just started charging me once I got it. That's why I stopped using it altogether.

Based on most of the other people I've seen who got free Airaves, they got the $100 fee waived and did or did not get the monthly service fee waived. This would also mean that the $100 equipment cost was waived which should mean they own it... If they randomly pick and choose how it's credited that's really confusing.
    Last edited by papped; 12-23-09 at 07:32 PM.
    12-23-09 04:02 PM
    I recently cancelled my service with sprint and they made no mention of me returning it. They gave me an Airave a while back because of the dismal service at my apartment along with a $100 credit to cover the device and a free service for the Airave.

So... Anyone wanna buy an Airave.

12-23-09 11:53 PM
    The reason they don't just want these Airave's just floating around to anyone is they cause interference with older 911 Emergency system's used by Police and Fire. That's why there is a impending check of your location before they relinquish it to you.
    12-24-09 10:56 AM
    They probably started changing the terms and adding the extra paperwork later on. I got mine very early on.
    01-06-10 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD