I can live without data on my phone (I use MEdia net w/ my iPhone w/ changed IMEI) if I could get a blackberry or an iPhone 3GS, I don't NEED data, I have wifi on campus and at home plus I'm a student not a business man so i don't need e-mail everywhere, but I love smart phones.
    02-22-10 08:39 PM
    No they cant. There is really no reason to buy a smartphone in your case.
    02-22-10 08:45 PM
    I like the apps, sophisticated operating systems, wifi, good mobile e-mail and browsing, etc. You guys charge 30 for iPhone and will for Android too, that's crazy!! Normal internet only costs a little more than that.
    02-22-10 08:52 PM
    blackberry can't load app without be rigistered on a bis.
    02-22-10 08:56 PM
    Yea but everything you described except wifi, requires the internet. In order to use the sophisticated os you need the data plan. If you dont want to pay, then dont get the phone.
    02-22-10 08:56 PM
    That's what an iPod Touch is good for. I keep my Storm and Touch on me most of the time.
    02-22-10 09:03 PM
    I HATE the iPod touch, plus WiFi is the internet!! Okay, forget about the blackberry. iPhone works perfectly as texting and calling, iPod, games, videos, off wifi and INTERNET on wifi!! Pocket Pc's, Android phones, work without Data, I've had a palm treo on verizon without data, I could do my homework on word mobile and such and it's a great organizer.
    02-22-10 09:06 PM
    You can't do that on Verizon anymore, ALL smartphones require data. And even some feature phones are requiring minimum data plans now as well. When blackberry first came out it required a 30 service fee..... Same price as today.... But that data plan only allowed 3mbs of data!!!! Now data is so cheap you get unlimited for $30. Plus it sounds like you go to school AT&T I know gives some school discounts so check that out. And stop complaining the devices are centered around data and pretty worthless without it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 09:37 AM
    Few groups at AT&T have the authority to override the smartphone data requirement. It negatively affects your account if you do manage to talk to one of those groups.

So use another carrier's phone, or use a messaging or basic phone.

Also, AT&T can see which phone you are using at any point since the start of your service.
    02-23-10 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD