Quick question for you guys. If I buy an unlocked smartphone that is not made by AT&T, will I be able to use it without a data plan? I realize I won't get the internet or any of the services that come along with the plan, which is fine with me. I know that AT&T can tell if you're using a Blackberry, even if it's unlocked, so my question is...will they be able to tell the phone I'm using is a smartphone, since technically it's not one of AT&T's phones?

Thanks
    02-20-10 12:46 PM
    It's a crap-shoot. Sometimes you will, sometimes you won't. IF you get a phone that AT&T has never offered, you have a better chance. If it is a phone that AT&T offered a model (but your phone isn't from AT&T but they offered the same phone), your odds go down. Only thing you can do it try it.
    02-20-10 01:36 PM
    They shouldn't be able to identify the IMEI number if they don't/have never offered the particular phone though, right?
    02-20-10 01:39 PM
    they will find out because one you insert you SIM card in a Berry for the first time, you get a registration email/text from RIM stating that your Berry is now registered with them. If its registered with them, its registered with AT&T. IF you had a Berry prior to Oct 09, and it did not have a data plan, you would be ok, but anything after that they will find it.
    02-20-10 02:28 PM
    Yeah, I'm aware of that issue concerning a Blackberry, but I'm not planning on buying a Blackberry. I'm asking if a non-AT&T phone will still require the data plan.
    02-20-10 02:31 PM
    It depends on how they enter IMEI numbers. It appears that they do have more IMEI numbers than only phones that they have offered. But they don't have all of the IMEI numbers that are out there.
    02-20-10 03:15 PM
    It's possible. Choose a non-ATT smartphone model that ATT has never offered and you should be okay. If they haven't offered it, they probably don't have the IMEI numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-10 03:24 PM
    AT&T shouldn't know if your IMEI is not in their Database.

When I lived in Mexico, whenever I came to the USA I would use my mexican iPhone 3G on AT&T GoPhone and there was never a problem (I used it for a week every month without a glitch)

So I guess you should be safe, but you can never be sure.
    02-20-10 10:08 PM
    If you don't act like a moron on the phone with AT&T, no one will care to push the issue, but irritate a rep, and they can look the IMEI up from the network, and slap you with a smartphone plan like nothing. Doesn't matter if AT&T never offered the phone before. That just covers the automated stuff.
    02-21-10 12:06 AM
    Well, you said it's not a Blackberry, it's a phone. What kind of phone is it? If its a regular **-hum (lol) phone then no you don't need a data plan. If it is another branded (unlocked) smart phone than everyone else is correct, just tell em its a random flip phone, give them your ESN or IMEI and let it be done. Careful you dont use data though...wont be pretty.
    02-22-10 09:03 AM
    Data use is not an issue.

If you ask for help with data use or MMS, you WILL noticed, since the rep will have to know the make and model to even begin to attempt manual programming of the device.
    02-22-10 10:12 AM
    I'm getting a mytouch3G, will I still be able to use my MEdia net plan? (iPhone has changed IMEI)
    02-22-10 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD