Hey Everyone,

I have seen some posts from people stating that you have to change your data package if you upgrade to one of Telus' new HSPA compatible BlackBerry's. Is this true??

I have an unlimited data plan (back when they offered it) which is self explanatory, which also gives me unlimited SMS, voice mail, and unlimited email. So from what I am reading lately, if I were to purchase an unlocked, brand new Bold 9700, activate it on the Telus HSPA network with a SIM card, I can't just transfer my data package over to the new Bold and forget my Storm 9530 behind?

How would this even be possible, if I transfer my package over to a new unlocked phone, buy a Telus SIM card and continue with the rest of my contract?

I am confused by this rationale, and I am trying to find an answer, because I have been thinking about buying a new unlocked Bold 9700, but if my current data plan wont be transferred over, then I won't buy one.
    11-17-09 06:18 PM
    I was told by a telus rep a few days ago that i could not transfer my current unlimited data plan to the new network.I know i am not giving up my current unlimited data plan and nationwide 10 for a clear and simple plan.
    11-17-09 07:06 PM
    You will loose your data package. You will need a HSPA approved* one !

* Please note: HSPA approved means were going to charge you more for way less than we were giving you ! Now please sign here, bend over, and grab your ankles.

xoxo
    Telus' NEW Clear Choice Plans that save you money*

*Please note, do not actually save you money
    11-17-09 07:06 PM
    I have unlimited data.

I called L&R to see what they can do for me. They said I'd have to give up the plan. I signed a 3 year contract when I got my Storm, so I'm going to wait it out. See if I can outlast them. CDMA suits me fine, and although I'd like a BB with a keyboard, I'm not giving up my great data plan for a piece of crap.

I figure once my contract is up, I'll have some real bargaining power. And I can always buy a Tour outright in the meantime or on Ebay if need be.
    11-17-09 07:16 PM
    Data is data!!! How the heck does the new HSPA network affect what my contract is for? My contract is for unlimited data, did they invent some kind of new HSPA data? I realize that they have 500mb, 1GB, and 3GB plans for the new phones that is EXTREMELY hard to max out, but what gives, they had those plans rolling out just before they flipped the switch to HSPA!
    11-17-09 09:20 PM
    Yeah I cannot say that I am at all impressed by their new plans.
    11-17-09 10:49 PM
    I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way, I had to switch to a HSPA plan but it worked out to be $1 more a month and I get 1GB of data per month instead of 500MB with my curve.

Sure you may have an unlimited data plan right now but do you ACTUALLY need unlimited? Check a few of your past bills and average it out.
    11-17-09 11:56 PM
    For what it's worth, my experience was the same. I was told that I couldn't switch to the new network without signing a new contract and getting a clear & simple (rip off) plan.

The issue isn't just about unlimited data (which I also have), it's more fundamental. As a longtime client of Telus I have a lot of incentive rewards that built up over the years, e.g., extra minutes, long distance, VM 10, etc.... I was told that if I switched to the new network, I'd lose everything that I currently have, not just the unlimited data. In other words, I'd be in the same position as a completely new Telus client - EXCEPT that I wouldn't receive the full subsidy on the phone, I'd only get $200 off the no contract price.

Again, this isn't just about unlimited data (I agree it's hard to max out on a Blackberry because of the way it utilizes data compression). It's about Telus abandoning it's commitment to existing and longtime clients.

I want an upgrade, but I won't sign a new contract. I'm just going to save up and buy a Tour outright, which I can activate on my current account without changing a thing. I'll ride out my contract and then I'm gone - there's got to be a company out there that actually values its clients or at least learns to the hard way.
    11-18-09 07:21 AM
    I still have 1 yr left on my current contract. Unlimited data, extra this and that... No rush to switch to the new network for a crappy rate plan. It would be nice to have a newer phone cause mine is starting to show wear though.

I am curious to see what is going to happen when the contracts start expiring. Am I going to be allowed to carry on with the plan and rate with no contract or are they going to cancel it (not offer) and force me to either get a new rate or switch carriers?

Only time will tell!!!
    11-18-09 08:14 AM
    on another thread, someone mentioned that on howards forum under the telus section there a thread for about 432 replies that shows what ppl were able to transfer over to the new network, no unlimited data transfered over to new network, some ppl have been able to transfer there vm weekends/weeknights/ etc over...
    11-18-09 08:33 AM
    It kinda sucks when they do that. I have an 8330 with unlimeted data and the most that I have used is about 130 mg, and thta was pushing it. I also have talk 15 which is great as it has only $0.10 per minute LD. They are now chargingt $0.35 per minute for LD. When we get HSPA here in Manitoba, maybe a year from now I'd love to upgrade to the 9700. If I have to change my whole plan I will try to negotiate but if they don't come across, asta-lavista baby, I won't be back. I'll negitiate something with another carrier. Good luck to all you lucky ones who have HSPA in getting cheaper rates. They have to pay for this new system somehow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 12:03 PM
    THERE's NOT A CHANCE IN H3LL i'll ever let go of my unlimited plan.

I'll be the b@stard rocking his 9530 for 5 more years, grandfathering the $hit out of it!!!! A GIANT " F-That " to you Telus.
    11-18-09 04:25 PM
    In another thread on here, someone mentioned that the reason for getting rid of the unlimited data plan with HSPA is because the new network allows you to tether. If you can tether, you can see how an unlimited data plan would create a problem. Its fine for BB use, not so good for computer use (well, it would be great for us, not so good for Telus! :P).
    11-18-09 10:47 PM
    Telcom pricing for practically everything is arbitrary. . . unless one Telcom is renting equipment/lines/service at their arbitrary rates to another Telcom. . . who then puts in another arbitrary 3rd party profit ontop of said original arbitrary rate. : )
    11-18-09 11:05 PM
    I don't get how ppl are saying they can switch over their unlimited data to the new network every rep I talk to including my friend that works at Telus said it's not transferable and a total rip off

My contract is done I tried to get a deal on the Storm2 and basically the rep told me she would let me keep my old plan epp $17.30 and $25 for 500mb data so basically being with telus for almost 10 years they are "letting" me keep my old epp plan and pay $10 more for 500mb instead of unlimited.

I thought the more years/loyal you are with a company the more incentives they give you?

FCUK TELUS!!!
    11-20-09 11:23 AM
    they are firm about not letting ppl switch over to their new network and keep the existing data plan. I would have signed my contract for 3 years for a 9700 but instead im staying away from clear and simple plans and buying a tour with no contract.

maybe the future will be friendly. till then telus is at a new low with loyalty
    11-20-09 11:51 AM
    I have shopped around Bell is still offering $15 unlimted email and IM
    11-25-09 11:46 AM
    I got a Bold 9700 yesterday and got my rate plan(student 50) transferred. so it is possible
    Last edited by jaycop; 11-26-09 at 11:53 AM.
    11-26-09 11:37 AM
    ^^^B/C it's still offered as a plan, a rip off plan. We're talking about better grandfathered plans.
    11-26-09 06:05 PM
    I got a Bold 9700 yesterday and got my rate plan(student 50) transferred. so it is possible
    How were you able to get it transferred? Did you go to a store or was it through the phone?
    11-26-09 11:44 PM
    they offered me
    300 daytime
    my5
    cid,vm,umlited text etc...
    telus-telus
    $15 unlimted data
    >5 free and weekends
    $47 tax in (on the "old" network)

same plan pretty much offered on new network
    but $25 -500MB
    and no telus-to-telus

what u guys think?

What phone to get is making me difficult to decide?
    heard storm2 is crap from people that are texters so that leaves only The Tour for the old network

new network
    bold2 is to small IMO

hoping they'll get better phones durin xmas

does it make sense to try to stay on old network? eventually the new network plans will probaly be the "cheap ones" as rates just seem to keep going up
    12-05-09 05:59 PM

same plan pretty much offered on new network
    but $25 -500MB
    and no telus-to-telus

LOLOLOL..... seriously, we have to get CB to get the telus reps off this forum.

HAHAHAHAH, this is laughable. You're paying 80% more and getting a very ****ty plan. No, that is not the same. Not even close.

It's like saying a Pontiac Fiero is pretty much a Ferrari.

Telus reps stay off the consumer chat!!!!
    12-06-09 12:19 PM
    they are firm about not letting ppl switch over to their new network and keep the existing data plan. I would have signed my contract for 3 years for a 9700 but instead im staying away from clear and simple plans and buying a tour with no contract.

maybe the future will be friendly. till then telus is at a new low with loyalty
    if u're interested in getting a tour at no contract in a months time, msg me...i'm planning to sell mine and get the bold 9700
    12-06-09 12:39 PM
    Well, Bell will transfer the $30 unlimited data plan from CDMA to the HSPA network, so call and ***** about that.

I have Rogers, and I don't think we have ever had unlimited data.
    12-06-09 05:45 PM
    Well, Bell will transfer the $30 unlimited data plan from CDMA to the HSPA network, so call and ***** about that.

I have Rogers, and I don't think we have ever had unlimited data.
    u can call and whine all u want to telus that bell is allowing the transfer of unlimited data but telus wont budge at all
    12-06-09 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD