Can I legally tether for free using existing software in my computer and device even though Verizon charges $30 extra a month for tethering? I've seen posts about people claiming to lose service and fines for such things. Is this true?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 05:48 PM
    Pretty well spelled out in the Terms and Conditions copied from Verizon Wireless.
    Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
    These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device�s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Verizon would have every right to charge you for data usage if they find you tethering to their network.
    01-08-10 05:58 PM
    In other words: No.
    01-08-10 05:59 PM
    That being said, if you don't go overdo it, they won't know.
    They can tell by the amount of data. 5gigs is pretty hard to reach on a BB.
    01-08-10 06:23 PM
    Legally, sure. What law specifically are you violating? Is it a violation of the terms of service? Yep.

So yes, you can tether without paying for a feature. Its not "illegal" but just don't be surprised when interesting things happen to your bill.
    01-08-10 08:07 PM
    Legally, sure. What law specifically are you violating?
    Theft of services?
    01-08-10 08:33 PM
    Pretty well spelled out in the Terms and Conditions copied from Verizon Wireless.
    Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
    These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Verizon would have every right to charge you for data usage if they find you tethering to their network.
    I figured that was the case. If things are too good to be true then... You know. =) thanks for the help.

01-08-10 09:04 PM
    That being said, if you don't go overdo it, they won't know.
    They can tell by the amount of data. 5gigs is pretty hard to reach on a BB.
    I regularly reach 2GB+ a month without using tethering.
    01-10-10 02:20 PM
    I regularly reach 2GB+ a month without using tethering.
    You're a huge bill waiting to happen. Just because you flew under the radar in the past doesn't mean they won't catch up with you in the future.
    01-10-10 03:30 PM
    Note that I did say without tethering.

Plus I'm still on my Alltel plan that includes unlimited data for both the phone and tethering
    01-10-10 03:32 PM
    Alltel has/had soft 5GB caps. If you exceeded it on a regular basis, you would have heard from them about it.
    01-10-10 03:55 PM
    I've only exceeded 5GB once, and I called them in advance to let them know it was likely to happen
    01-10-10 04:09 PM
    It would only be theft of service if you don't pay the high bill they send you.
    01-11-10 04:47 PM
    A Verizon rep told me flat out that the Alltel plans have NO 5GB cap and tethering is free and unlimited. I've proven this with nearly 12GB of data in one month, and I use 2-4 GB a month at a minimum. I don't know about Verizon, but us Alltel refugees are good to go!

01-11-10 04:56 PM
    A Verizon rep told me flat out that the Alltel plans have NO 5GB cap and tethering is free and unlimited. I've proven this with nearly 12GB of data in one month, and I use 2-4 GB a month at a minimum. I don't know about Verizon, but us Alltel refugees are good to go!

I use anywhere from 15 - 35GB a month, thank god I still have my grandfathered Alltel Aircard, I never intend to change it

No DSL or Cable in my area makes this my primary internet, I dont think the cap thing is fair.
    01-11-10 05:19 PM
    There's going to be a "soft cap" either way. If you use over a certain amount, they're going to watch you. They may or may not contact you, and your bill may or may not change, depending on whether or not you're following the ToS. If you're following the ToS, they're not going to do anything.
    01-11-10 05:48 PM
    I use anywhere from 15 - 35GB a month, thank god I still have my grandfathered Alltel Aircard, I never intend to change it

No DSL or Cable in my area makes this my primary internet, I dont think the cap thing is fair.
    at the end of the 2 year converison your alltel card wont work anymore, all alltel plans will be discontinued.
    01-12-10 09:16 AM
    I just renewed my AllTel contract with a 2 year like 2 months ago. I have 4 lines with AllTel packs 2 with data 2 dumbphones. I was able to tether for free with my q9c. It was called internet sharing and came Preinstalled on the moto. Since I'm still on an AllTel plan what are my options for tethering?

01-12-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD