I have this for a few months now and its 30 bucks. I'm saving for an engagement ring so I could definitely do without checking email and updating facebook from my phone.

Can I drop this feature?

I know my girlfriend was able to do it with T-Mobile.
    02-17-10 07:43 AM
    Since the last months of 2009 ATT requires a special plan for all smartphones. Short of changing phones there seems to be no way around the charge.
    02-17-10 07:55 AM
    Depends on when you signed a contract with them. If it was recently no, they changed their terms and if you have a smart phone you have to have a smart phone plan. If you on a older contract then you should be able to remove it. Call customer service.
    02-17-10 07:55 AM
    I got the Blackberry and updated my plan I believe in November 2009.
    02-17-10 08:01 AM
    I got the Blackberry and updated my plan I believe in November 2009.
    Yeah, you're out of luck. The requirement was established in September of 2009:
    AT&T to Require Data Plans for Smartphones - BusinessWeek

You might be able to change devices, but you'll probably be paying full price. If you got that route, make sure it doesn't require a messaging, or data plan.
    02-21-10 06:01 PM
    Use a T-Mobile or Verizon BlackBerry, and you're good to go.
    02-21-10 11:35 PM
    I tried this a couple weeks ago actually.. As long as you have a blackberry smart phone on that number they will not take the bb personal plan off the account you will have to get another phone/ime number to register with that line the service is connected to. Good luck on your proposal
    02-21-10 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD