Don't currently have a BB plan on my existing contract (using the PDA plan with an HTC TyTN II) ... need a Blackberry for my upcoming trip to Europe. Was going to wait for the Bold, but looking like that won't happen in time for my trip (mid-July).

Can I modify my account without starting a new contract? I can source a Blackberry pretty easily.

-Al
    06-21-08 01:48 AM
    Yes you can I have the $30.00 email and unlimited internet plan on mine. It is just like anything else such as text messaging you can add it at anytime.
    06-21-08 01:54 AM
    Negative... For international, you have to keep the BB plan on for a year or you get the $175 penalty. Also this doesn't stop you from getting the $175 penalty for canceling your contract either.
    06-21-08 02:41 AM
    Also welcome to the crackberry.com family!
    06-21-08 02:42 AM
    I stand corrected lol Thanks Jayden thought it was the same for some strange reason
    06-21-08 02:45 AM
    No problem... I did too, until one of my reps pointed that out to me. I was like wtf. Then we realized all the international plans were like this.
    06-21-08 02:49 AM
    Negative... For international, you have to keep the BB plan on for a year or you get the $175 penalty. Also this doesn't stop you from getting the $175 penalty for canceling your contract either.
    Don't mind keeping the BB International plan as long as it doesn't affect my ability to get a Bold later.

To review my current situation, my last phone upgrade was January 2007. According to my account status, "This line is eligible for reduced equipment pricing when you sign up for a new 2-year service agreement."

If I get a BB International plan in early July, then the clock starts ticking for a 1 year contract. Does that create a problem for me from getting a Bold in August with device discount and 2 year contract?
    06-21-08 12:43 PM
    Don't currently have a BB plan on my existing contract (using the PDA plan with an HTC TyTN II) ... need a Blackberry for my upcoming trip to Europe. Was going to wait for the Bold, but looking like that won't happen in time for my trip (mid-July).

Can I modify my account without starting a new contract? I can source a Blackberry pretty easily.

-Al
    For international I think TMobile has a BB plan... If you are only traveling for less than a month what I did was just got a TMobile blackberry and added the unlimited international BB data plan and returned it when I got back (before the trial period ended)...
    06-21-08 01:14 PM

WOW!!! didn't know that...thnx for the info
    06-21-08 04:36 PM
    Don't mind keeping the BB International plan as long as it doesn't affect my ability to get a Bold later.

To review my current situation, my last phone upgrade was January 2007. According to my account status, "This line is eligible for reduced equipment pricing when you sign up for a new 2-year service agreement."

If I get a BB International plan in early July, then the clock starts ticking for a 1 year contract. Does that create a problem for me from getting a Bold in August with device discount and 2 year contract?
    No, it doesn't effect your handset eligibility date... This only came about because a lot of customers would go abroad and come back and take the plan off. The problem came because we would get the charge from those carriers late and without the plan on there, they would be charged at the normal billed rate. To try a cut down on those escalations and billing issues, they decided to impose the 1 year contract for the international data plans. There are other reasons to, but this was at the top of my head.
    06-21-08 09:10 PM
    WOW!!! didn't know that...thnx for the info

np .
    06-21-08 09:22 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!
    06-21-08 09:24 PM
    No you do not have to do a new contract. Just add like text messaging or some other feature

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 09:32 PM
    Also, just thought I point it out there is no bolt-on with out a contract for BlackBerry either.

And, yes, the BlackBerry Int'l Data package DOES require a 1 year contract, with that $175.00 ETF @ Xodedexo18.

@Jayden, look at the iPhone Data Int'l 20mb, for $24.99, when you can. It doesn't require a contract.
    06-22-08 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD