I'm trying to upgrade to a Blackberry Curve 8900 without adding the $30/month data plan that AT&T has mandated for smartphones. I know that buying an unlocked phone would allow me to bypass this. But if I was to buy a used 8900 off of craigslist that was still tied to the AT&T network, would I be able to simply insert my SIM card and use the phone on my current plan (without data)? Or would I need to activate the phone to use with my number (thus adding the data plan to my service)? If I want to use this phone without adding a data plan, would I need to unlock it first? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    11-23-09 07:32 PM
    Hi anishkabob, I don't work for at&t, but I can answer your question.

You can take your at&t SIM card and place it in any at&t phone or unlocked GSM phone from another carrier and it should work on the at&t network. There are some exceptions with different carrier frequencies, but you shouldn't have to worry about that if buying a phone in the US for use in the US.

Unlocking a phone is only if you want to use a phone with a carrier other then the one that sold it or that it is branded to. So if you go out and buy a T-Mobile 8900 you will need to get it unlocked before it works on at&t. However it will work on T-Mobile without being unlocked. The same goes for at&t, since you plan on buying an at&t phone it will work without being unlocked with your at&t SIM card. If you ever plan to use a SIM card from another carrier you need to get it unlocked. At&t should do it for free if you are a customer in good standing, just call 611 and they will walk you through the process.

You will not need to notify at&t of your use of the BlackBerry, just put your SIM card in and you are good to go. Nothing else is needed to start using the phone, you will be able to use the phone for internet when connected to a WiFi network. However keep in mind many data features won't work over WiFi and require a BlackBerry data plan.

One thing to keep in mind when buying a phone on craigslist is that it could be stolen. If it is and the user reports it the phone can be blacklisted and won't work. So be careful where you buy the phone.
    11-26-09 04:05 PM
    But don't be surprised if you get caught & receive a bill w/ back dated data charges on it. Because it will happen.
    11-27-09 01:29 PM
    You don't need to unlock it since it will be branded to the same network. As far as being able to fully use the device you may be limited as most services require the BB Data Plan.

If you do get away with being able to use data and AT&T does notice it they will charge you adequately for not having a BB Data Plan.
    11-28-09 10:46 AM
    You don't need to unlock it since it will be branded to the same network. As far as being able to fully use the device you may be limited as most services require the BB Data Plan.

If you do get away with being able to use data and AT&T does notice it they will charge you adequately for not having a BB Data Plan.
    True... they have a system that does account sweeps. If they see a Blackberry is being used without a plan you will get a text regarding the proper package...
    12-29-09 10:21 PM
    I had to put my sim in an old dumb nokia phone for a couple days not too long ago, and when I went to pay my bill it showed that nokia as my phone on my online account. So I'm thinking it detects it almost immediately.
    12-30-09 10:38 AM
    Do you have data on your current Curve? If not and you had it before the TOS change you will not need to have data. I have two phones I had before the TOS change and I am not required to have data. Only if I activate the data would I have to keep it because of my BB.
    12-30-09 10:48 AM
    Sorry to tell you this but there is No way to bypass the policy, it strictly states that ANY smartphone added or detected on your account after 11/1/2009 will have to have to have the $30 or greater data pkg
    01-05-10 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD