what type of precautions should i be taking other than checking the ESN??

Any advice/feedback?
    08-26-09 04:06 PM
    Meet in a public place. Make sure there is a lot of communication! But esn is super important that's the first thing I'd do!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 04:09 PM
    Agreed, ESN is very important. You should call Telus with the number to check its status. If it is reported as stolen/lost or is attached to a delinquent account, they will not let you activate it. You could also ask him to bring the receipt for proof of purchase. Check it over and make sure it jives with his story.
    08-27-09 12:14 PM
    I just wouldn't do it. Craigslist is full of a bunch of scammers. Meet IN a Telus store. Have them scan the ESN barcode, and then go from there. Check for a bad trackball. Try it on 70/70
    08-27-09 07:54 PM
    I would go to a local Telus store or dealer, pick a BB you like, ask for any deals they have going on, and complete your purchase. Easiest way to know what your getting and that your BB is not stolen, broken, or just cracked right out
    09-30-09 07:49 AM
    Verify the ESN and meet in person locally
    09-30-09 04:04 PM
    well I bought my 1st BB on kijiji then sold it, because I upgraded to a pearl! Then I bought the storm on kijiji 2 days after it was released! then I sold it on kijiji, and bought the curve! lol!!
    Now I always do shopping on kijiji/craigslist for these items.....
    I go with my gut, if they dont seem real then more than likely it isnt, if the price is REALLY cheap something "might" be up!!

What I did was I checked the esn then met them in a public place once it was at a Telus store that way I could do the exchange and Telus verified it was good as well. If you meet in public make sure that you check the esn on the phone when you see the phone, make sure there are no signs of dropping the phone, make sure the phone will turn on! also ask the telus rep if the phone is a refurb phone, you dont want that!!
    see if there is a warranty left on the phone.
    As far as the recipt, well you can ask to see it but you have no right to keep there receipt only because it has there personal info on it! I know i wouldnt give my receipt away! oh yeah, and check the battery as well, because you dont wanna have to buy one!
    good luck
    10-09-09 01:11 PM
    Meet in a open area (recommend a Mall)

1) Call Client Care, see if the ESN is reported Stolen/Lost & ask them if the phone is a Swap Unit or Original Unit
    2) Check if it's under warranty
    3) Check for any Physical or Liquid Damage on the Battery & Phone (i.e: 8830 Water Damage Indicators - WITH PICS - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community)

With the Tour make sure you the package comes with:
    *Battery
    *Backing of the Phone
    *1GB Micro SD Card included (I think or 2GB)
    *Wall Charger
    *USB Cord to PC (Micro USB)
    *OEM Head Phones
    *OEM Belt Clip
    *International Roaming Card
    *Desktop Blackberry Software
    *Quick Start Guide

Hate to say the last part, but when dealing with anyone off of Kijiji or Craigslist...if there personality seems shady on the phone, I wouldn't deal with them.

Hope this helps!
    10-10-09 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD