Hey there

My phone can be upgraded next week (yay!) and I've been considering getting a Blackberry for a long time now.

Originally I was considering a curve, most likely 8520, but after reading and watching many reviews I really like the sleekness and features of the Bold 9700. Plus, I am finishing university soon and so would like a solid reliable phone that by the looks of it the Bold can provide...

I've been looking at the store and came across deal for Bold 9700 on Panther 35 for 18 months online for 29.36 a month without insurance. Although there would be an upgrade fee of 48.50 but I would be willing to pay that for a great quality device (hello christmas money )

It states that with Panther unlimited email is included, but does this mean that I would have unlimited internet browsing as well? I'm presuming so but just want to make sure. And if so, is the data allowance 250MB or 500MB? Because i've read different things and am a bit confused.

Merry Christmas!
    Kirstie
    12-24-09 11:52 AM
    Yeah I think usually if they say unlimited BIS then you would have email and internet?

Data allowance is 500mb but that is more than enough apparently
    12-24-09 04:22 PM
    Hi..ring 150 on your Orange phone then option 4,1 then 3 (i think!). This will put you onto Loyalty department.

I got 400 mins with Unlimited texts and Unlimited BB Services (Internet and E-Mails) all for 25 a month.

My 9700 was FREE!

Defo worth a try!
    01-01-10 02:24 PM
    Hi!

I'll point out a few things that everyone should bare in mind when upgrading..

Firstly - I am on Orange and recently upgraded to the Bold 9700, I personally think its the best BB ever made

1; when upgrading remember that you are a valued customer whichever way you look at it, networks do not want to lose your business and for the sake of 50 they are generally happy to waive the fee if they think you might convert to another network, do some shopping around and even if you dont want to switch, get a quote to add weight to your argument, the customer loyalty teams of any network are actually called 'Customer Retention' their job is to retain you!

2; weigh up the cost of your contract before upgrading, you may get a free upgrade but most of the networks are making their customers commit for another 18-24 months - therefore the cost of the monthly subscription versus the handset cost is invariably the same if not more than the cost of the handset 'sim free' thus adding more weight to an argument of free upgrades.

3; with regards to 'unlimited' use.. be it unlimited SMS, minutes or Data, all the networks have some sort of Fair Use Policy in place.. this could be 3000 SMS or 500mb of Data, but generally these are more than enough for most users (even heavy users) and they are not 'definitively regulated' i.e if the FUP is 3000 SMS and you use 3001 or even 4000 it doesn't mean the network will then charge you for the other 1 or 1000 SMS it just means they want to manage the usage to keep it profitable for them, therefore if you consistently (lets say over 3 months) go over the FUP you will then get a letter from your network reminding you of the FUP and asking you to calm your usage down - providing you stay close to it you really shouldn't have a problem.

4; Unlimited Data Allowance (500mb FUP) - this is by far enough data for any type of user providing you don't constantly transfer huge files, on BIS there is a file download limit (in emails) of 2.9mb so it's difficult to do anyway, but for the average to heavy user its more than ample.

5; Bold 9700 Vs Curve 8520 - after having both these handsets there is NO comparison, the Bold wins hands down every time at every corner (IMHO!)

Hope this helps!
    T2F
    01-01-10 03:49 PM
    Thanks for your helpful replies - I got a free upgrade in the end and love the handset!
    01-07-10 12:55 PM
    I have a 8900 with orange and am still a few months off being able to upgrade. If i try and upgrade early what kinda charge am I facing? I dont mind payin about 100 if it means i can have a new 9700 within the next few months (my upgrade is due August) Also how long do I have to have a contract before I am considered a 'loyal' customer?
    01-07-10 02:09 PM
    Thanks for your helpful replies - I got a free upgrade in the end and love the handset!
    Excellent news! looks like we'll be seeing you on the forums then

T2F
    01-07-10 02:59 PM
    I have a 8900 with orange and am still a few months off being able to upgrade. If i try and upgrade early what kinda charge am I facing? I dont mind payin about 100 if it means i can have a new 9700 within the next few months (my upgrade is due August) Also how long do I have to have a contract before I am considered a 'loyal' customer?
    Question answered VIA PIN message -> outcome -> not possible
    01-07-10 03:05 PM
    Orange will usually allow you to upgrade when you 3 months or less left on your contract. One of my friends got an upgrade when he had 5 months to go because he was spending a lot of money with them.

Depending on what you pay every month, it might be an idea to ring them to ask for a PAC code to see how much they would want to charge you to get out and see if you can upgrade.
    Please remember that if you do upgrade early, the remaining months get added to your new contract.

if they dont allow it, see how much you have to pay them to get out of contract and see who else is offering a good deal.
    01-09-10 02:56 PM
    Hey, Im coming to the Uk with an Unlocked BOLD 9700 which was loked under a carrier called WIND mobile. i believe this 9700 is set to run on frequencies 1700 and 2100. will it work on this Orange Network???
    01-18-10 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD