I am in South Florida and patiently waiting for the 22 nov...I currently have a 9000 and it drops calls daily (it really bothers me)..

Does anybody know if the bold 9700 in south florida has better recieption.. ??

I am thinking of jumping ship... cause this is a major problem and irritating..

thanks all....
    Last edited by bboldFLL; 11-20-09 at 09:56 AM.
    11-20-09 09:35 AM
    Dropped calls are usually due to the carrier's network, not the device.

How is T-Mobile's coverage where you live? They also have the 9700.

You would probably be better off investigating the coverage of other carriers in your area if you want fewer dropped calls.
    11-20-09 12:25 PM
    AT&T is famous for dropping calls.

But for some phones it's worse than others.
    11-20-09 01:30 PM
    T-mobile is not good down here.. was in a restaurant last night .. and my friends BB (on tmo) was SOS...

I had full 3g service..

So for me its ATT and deal with the dropped calls or switch to big red...

its a real tuff decision for me .... (silly I know)..
    11-20-09 01:45 PM
    If you're dropping a lot of calls your phone could be going in and out of 3G service. Try disabling 3G during calls and see if that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 02:36 PM
    Try switching your sim card, calling att and telling them to remove you from the tower and reassign you to a new tower/the network. (this worked for me one time)
    11-20-09 02:40 PM
    thanks all... I will try the BOLD 9700 with new sim and see what happens...

if worse comes to worse I pay the ETF when the tour2 comes out...
    11-20-09 03:23 PM
    Your 9000 Bold is dropping calls due to AT&T's 3G service. This is an extremely common occurrence (search for it in the forums, and tons of threads will pop up), and is a simple fix now. All you have to do is go into your options now, go to Mobile Network, and change "3G & 2G" to just "2G". This will put your phone on EDGE, which is what you want for calls, instead of 3G, so you won't get dropped during them. A huge added bonus to this is that you'll find your battery will last like an entire day longer with 3G off.

And when you're having fun with apps and whatnot, just turn 3G back on the same way you turned it off.
    11-20-09 07:03 PM
    I happen to have good 3G coverage here. I live less than a mile from a tower.

If I did not get decent coverage, I would not upgrade to another device and disable 3G. I would dump AT&T when my contract was up and get a new device with another carrier who provided better coverage. There is no point to me in getting a 3G device if I cannot take advantage of the 3G. I wouldn't take my chance at a new 3G device with spotty coverage and pay an ETF to cancel if the problems continued.
    Last edited by lak611; 11-20-09 at 08:39 PM.
    11-20-09 08:36 PM
    Do any other carriers have decent service in your area that would be a decent alternative

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 09:27 PM
    My Bold had these same issues although with mine (3 different ones) it wouldn't hold an EDGE signal either. AT&T finally send me a refurb curve 8900 which works great I love it,and its only slightly slower than the bold on 3G loading websites. For me I couldn't see having a 3G device that couldn't be used on 3G and one that didn't work right at that. I'd rather have an EDGE only device that runs right on EDGE all the time.

As a side note i will say that no other 3G device I've owned on AT&T has acted this way,that all had a solid 3G signal and I never has a dropped call with AT&T until I got my BB Bold. All that being said I'm leaning towards switching over to Verizon when the essex (tour 2) comes out.
    11-21-09 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD