my brother has the pearl and he has an upgrade and wants the new BOLD, will be be able to order a BOLD off ebay and use it without getting the plan? will tmobile find out and add the plan without notice?

i mean either way we got a guy who owns a cell phone store and can do it but he wants to know for sure.
    12-12-09 01:15 PM
    I would have to guess yes(they will add a plan). I know for a fact that att and verizon can and do.
    12-12-09 01:35 PM
    Actually, no. T-Mobile is good about this. If you buy a phone full retail, you can use it how you want. They aren't going to add a plan on you.
    12-12-09 01:40 PM
    No they will not add the plan. I have been off contract and purchased both Bold 9000 and 9700. I only have Web2Go aka T-Zones and the phones work fine without the push emails. Use Bolt Browsers to go online, etc. There are many work around if you do not want to get the BB Data Plan.
    12-12-09 01:41 PM
    cool, thanks a lot guys. he has an upgrade to use so he might go to the guy we know and try to get it from him without the plan. appreciate the help, this will make him happy
    12-12-09 01:46 PM
    No data rule for T-Mobile:
    1) Pay full retail price = no data requirement
    2) Buy from 3rd party = no data requirement
    3) Buy 8100, 8120, or Flip = no data requirement
    4) All non-smartphones = no data requrement
    12-12-09 08:04 PM
    No data rule for T-Mobile:
    1) Pay full retail price = no data requirement
    2) Buy from 3rd party = no data requirement
    3) Buy 8100, 8120, or Flip = no data requirement
    4) All non-smartphones = no data requrement
    so basically just buy any blackberry and you wont have to get BB plan? LOL
    12-12-09 09:33 PM
    yup. That's the point of not buying from T-mobile.
    12-12-09 11:27 PM
    Good to know...my friend just asked about this yesterday.
    12-13-09 12:19 AM
    As long as you are not on a 2-year contract, you are not required to have BB plan.
    12-13-09 12:30 PM
    That is one of the reasons why it is better to stay with T Mobile than to go with Verizon or Sprint for example.
    12-13-09 01:23 PM
    As long as you are not on a 2-year contract, you are not required to have BB plan.
    To further clarify, as long as you did not purchase the BB with a 2 year contract at a store, you are not required to have the data package. The one thing to note is that MMS will not work without internet. There used to be a free feature that enabled it, but it is no longer available.
    12-14-09 03:33 AM
    To further clarify, as long as you did not purchase the BB with a 2 year contract at a store, you are not required to have the data package. The one thing to note is that MMS will not work without internet. There used to be a free feature that enabled it, but it is no longer available.
    are you sure? when i got my curve this year july 2009, i got it with a 2 year contract and they didn't say nothing about the date plan and i could receive and send mms
    12-16-09 07:13 PM
    are you sure? when i got my curve this year july 2009, i got it with a 2 year contract and they didn't say nothing about the date plan and i could receive and send mms
    Actually requiring data plan started on June 2009, I guess you got lucky..

Changes afoot at T-Mobile; smartphones to require data plans, family messaging rate hike Boy Genius Report
    12-16-09 10:10 PM
    They didn't take away the feature enabler until late July, so you got in just in time.
    12-17-09 03:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD