I am going to get my first blackberry today, I am torn between the Tour or the Bold 9700. They each have pros and cons. The issue for me is, I live in the boonies, the coverage for city itself is evdo, and the outlying area is 1x ish. Now I am not concerned with the speeds and such, afterall, I realise where I live and have no delustions. I know that in theory the area should be going HSPA, but from what I hear maybe I shouldnt want it. lol Because the 9700 is listed as 'Dual Band' it should still work in Evdo, and when I am in HSPA areas then I should have access to it, and its feature ie Picture messaging. Thoughts comment and addon greatly appreciated! and please forgive the spelling errors, I havent had coffee yet!
    12-15-09 10:30 AM
    So i am guessing Virgin is a GSM carrier? for what you are describing the Tour might be the better choice.
    12-15-09 10:34 AM
    Let me rephrase that I am with Telus by have never owned a blackberry before.
    12-15-09 11:05 AM
    with the 9700 it is hspa or nothing - there is nothing to revert back to on hspa
    12-15-09 11:49 AM
    Because the 9700 is listed as 'Dual Band' it should still work in Evdo, and when I am in HSPA areas then I should have access to it
    "Dual-band" is just a confusing marketing term, it can mean any set of "dual frequencies", in this particular case it refers to support of both N.American and European GSM/GPRS frequencies. Bold 9700 does NOT support CDMA, here are some specs:

9700 Bold
    - GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/1900 and 900/1800 MHz
    - HSPA: 800, 850, 1900, 2100 MHz
    - no CDMA
    - device ememory: 256 MB
    - microSDHC: 32 GB max

You might consider my advice from post #5 here (2nd paragraph):

http://forums.crackberry.com/f109/do...nitoba-384320/
    12-15-09 12:06 PM
    and that is the thing, the Telus store up here doesnt carry it, but then Futureshop does and according to Telus csr it should.... Hence my wariness. the only things about the Bold that I like is the mms/picture messaging and the Wifi aspect. I think I will go with the Tour.

Thank you everybody!
    12-15-09 12:24 PM
    You can always get the 9700 - if you don't get coverage in your area, you can return the device, and release the contract by using the "mis-activation" clause, meaning that the intended usage area does not have coverage, and they will be more then happy to switch you over to CDMA and get you any device you wish, eg Tour. Speaking from experience here.
    12-15-09 01:46 PM
    One blackberry tour bought and charging. droolll lol
    12-15-09 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD