Hey everyone so I have a question. I've been offered a bold 9700 and want it, dude is kinda sketchy so it might be stolen but w.e. Anyways I've been told by a few ppl that buying an unlocked bb is not good for various reasons of which I don't know if any are true. They range from my 3G won't work. BBM won't work. Data will run slower. And a few others that I know to be false. If the phone is unlocked is it as simple as popping in my sim card?( I do have a data plan on my account already) and should all the features work fine?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 12:47 AM
    Unlocking a device simply allows for it to be used on a carrier other than the one it was originally branded to. No functionality is lost during this process.
    01-25-10 12:54 AM
    I had a Storm and upgraded to Storm 2 with Verizon. I won an unlock code from Carrier Unlock to unlock my Storm. I unlocked it and gave it to my boyfriend to use with his T-Mobil plan. Everything works fine and he uses messenger also.
    01-25-10 01:28 AM
    Unlocking the 9700 will not change the functionality of it, including the data capabilities. However, if it does turn out to be stolen, there is a chance that RIM may have blocked the pin/imei from being registered on the network. No way to know this until you try though.

What network is the 9700 from? If its Tmobile or Wind, then you'll be stuck with only EDGE on any other network. But if its from anywhere else then 3G will work
    01-25-10 09:53 AM
    Hey everyone so I have a question. I've been offered a bold 9700 and want it, dude is kinda sketchy so it might be stolen but w.e. Anyways I've been told by a few ppl that buying an unlocked bb is not good for various reasons of which I don't know if any are true. They range from my 3G won't work. BBM won't work. Data will run slower. And a few others that I know to be false. If the phone is unlocked is it as simple as popping in my sim card?( I do have a data plan on my account already) and should all the features work fine?

No unlocking does not affect the functionality of the device. As long as you have the correct data plan all functions will work.

Unlocking the 9700 will not change the functionality of it, including the data capabilities. However, if it does turn out to be stolen, there is a chance that RIM may have blocked the pin/imei from being registered on the network. No way to know this until you try though.

What network is the 9700 from? If its Tmobile or Wind, then you'll be stuck with only EDGE on any other network. But if its from anywhere else then 3G will work
    RIM will not block the pin/imei unless it belongs to some govt agency and it rarely goes that high up.
    01-25-10 09:57 AM

Yes all features will work. You just want to check before which 9700 you are getting before because for example the AT&T 9700 will not work on T-Mobile's 3G and vice versa.

Let us know if you need any help.
    01-26-10 02:12 AM

Unlocking your phone will only benefit you in short-term and long-term savings with your roaming fees. All features on your Blackberry will work including Blackberry messenger and other data services. In the case that your phone is stolen, I wouldn't recommend getting it because it is likely that your PIN will get banned, resulting in loss of all data services.

Apparently, there was a heist at AT&T and they had a whole bunch of phones stolen, so if you see these 9700s selling for too good to be true prices, normally, it's too good to be true. Tons of scams on third party markets as well, so please be careful.

If you need help with any unlocking services, feel free to give any one of us a shout.
    01-26-10 06:25 AM

Hi there,
    Why is it that BB9700 from Tmobile or wind will be stuck on EDGE and not go on 3G??
    02-15-10 09:23 PM
    The 9700 from tmobile and Wind are built with a different 3G frequency that only works on those networks in North America. The 9700 from the other networks (Rogers, ATT, Bell, Telus) have 3G frequency that can be used on the majority of the other networks.
    02-15-10 10:09 PM
    Carrier must support the 3G bands on the device.
    02-15-10 10:10 PM
    Hi there,
    Why is it that BB9700 from Tmobile or wind will be stuck on EDGE and not go on 3G??
    Not compatible with other 3G Frequencies that ATT/ROGERS/FIDO/BELL/TELUS operate on
    02-16-10 01:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD