Did Verizon blow it by not getting the Torch?
    Will they get a phone as good in the near future?
    08-16-10 04:41 PM
    Did Verizon blow it by not getting the Torch?
    Will they get a phone as good in the near future?
    Can you please provide an example on how Torch > every other Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 04:42 PM
    the torch, being the first out of the chute with OS6 may be skewing your idea of just how good the Torch is, compared to other BB's and BB's to come out in the next few months. While I have nothing personally to say negative about the Torch (I just saw a mockup version of it a few hours ago), many reviewers have been especially unkind in their assessments of the Torch. Kinda sad--it's almost like they are all in the tank for Apple and Android.
    08-16-10 04:48 PM
    the torch, being the first out of the chute with OS6 may be skewing your idea of just how good the Torch is, compared to other BB's and BB's to come out in the next few months. While I have nothing personally to say negative about the Torch (I just saw a mockup version of it a few hours ago), many reviewers have been especially unkind in their assessments of the Torch. Kinda sad--it's almost like they are all in the tank for Apple and Android.
    That is the problem with the Reviewers,

When ever compared to an Apple or Android device, the reviewer brings it up short, as the Torch does not compare hardware wise at all, so that poisons the review out of the shoot,

When comparing the torch to other blackberry's it is very exciting, having a qwerty and a touch screen is the perfect cross over device.
    08-16-10 04:59 PM
    My point is if the Torch with OS6 is the best Blackberry out there so far, if it is and that is subject to debate, then did Verizon make a mistake not getting it. What Blackberries will Verizon get in the future if any unless there focus will now be on Droid.
    08-16-10 04:59 PM
    My point is if the Torch with OS6 is the best Blackberry out there so far, if it is and that is subject to debate, then did Verizon make a mistake not getting it. What Blackberries will Verizon get in the future if any unless there focus will now be on Droid.
    S3 will go to Verizon.
    08-16-10 05:10 PM
    Verizon will get the Next itteration of the Storm line, as well as they will get the Clamshell phone,

I'm sure they will also see something along the lines of a Bold upgrade in the new year as well.

I don't believe Verizon "Gave up" getting the Torch, it was offered as a GSM phone with AT&T.

Verizon is far from being unviable by not having the Torch, were AT&T needed a new Blackberry to excite people on AT&T to go Blackberry and not iphone or droid.
    08-16-10 05:12 PM
    My point is if the Torch with OS6 is the best Blackberry out there so far, if it is and that is subject to debate, then did Verizon make a mistake not getting it
    It's not "Verizon's mistake" so to speak for not getting the Torch. the device was designed in conjunction with AT&T, so of course AT&T has exclusivity on it, as least for a certain amount of time.
    08-16-10 05:16 PM
    Good points by everyone. Thanks for your thoughts.
    08-16-10 05:27 PM
    BlackBerry Torch already in trouble, report says
    Research in Motion shares drop after analyst checks show the new Torch isn't selling out.

BlackBerry Torch already in trouble, report says- Top Stocks - MSN Money

I hate to say it but RIM is losing ground. Every report I've read said it's behind the iPhone and Android based devices. I'm waiting for Verizon to roll out LTE devices this fall before I upgrade and I'm not sure if I'm staying with RIM.
    08-16-10 06:09 PM
    BlackBerry Torch already in trouble, report says
    Research in Motion shares drop after analyst checks show the new Torch isn't selling out.

BlackBerry Torch already in trouble, report says- Top Stocks - MSN Money

I hate to say it but RIM is losing ground. Every report I've read said it's behind the iPhone and Android based devices. I'm waiting for Verizon to roll out LTE devices this fall before I upgrade and I'm not sure if I'm staying with RIM.
    I remember when Blackberry was the best thing ever in terms of data phones. I just can't seem to recall how long ago that was.

Droid Does!
    08-17-10 02:02 AM
    Just once or twice I'd like RIM to look at current devices, likely future upgrades the competition is going to make, and trump those future updates instead of figuring, well, let's make the current models a hair better but not go overboard.

Torch wouldn't have worked on VZW anyway, since it's a GSM device. I assume VZW is holding off on a new BB model until their LTE network is expanded a little more...

I don't know, if they don't come up with *something* by the time the holidays and holiday discounts start appearing on devices, I guess I'm going with something else.

08-17-10 04:55 AM
    RIM doesn't get it.
    The future of smartphones is in 3.7-4.3" touchscreen devices.
    The iPhone not withstanding doesn't have a screen that large and neither does the Incredible but they both sell like crazy. The HTC Evo 4G ,Droid X along with the Samsung Galaxy S platform are the hottest phone and don't stay in stock. 2-3 Week wait for most of them.

If the next Storm was announced with a 4" screen and a webkit browser, I'd be all over it. I really liked my S1 and I currently like my S2 but with nothing compelling in the form of a S3, I ordered a Droid X.
    08-17-10 12:08 PM
    Its a shame that we get so happy about the proposition of a storm 3 (or 4) coming out with a 1 ghz processor, 5 mp camera, and 1gb internal memory for early 2011 when you can find all those wonderful specs dating back to march of 2010 smh!
    08-17-10 12:33 PM
    oh nevermind! We're not even getting that! We're getting a ....."refresh" of the Storm 2 ..... you know, the device that was labeled "what the Storm 1 should have been!"

ughhhhh, I gotta get to bed! I'm gettin extremely negative on RIM today!
    08-18-10 10:42 PM
    Don't worry, you're not alone in that regard... I hope I can get another BB but I want the specs to be similar to whatever other devices are out at the time I get it. I mean like you said, the specs they're going to "jump up to" with the alleged S3 will only be meeting (at best) some of the competing devices' spec, and not even in all cases like screen size, resolution, etc. By the time the S3 comes out, the competition will probably be up to 1.5-2ghz processors and other improvements.

It gets old if they can't bother to try future-proofing their already dated at release devices... I mean look how long it took them to make a device that supported CDMA EVDO rev A? Curve was rev 0, at a time when even dumb phones were rev A...

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 08-20-10 at 04:24 PM.
    08-20-10 04:18 PM
    very good point! Forgot about that one! And if thats the trend, then what makes people think that the first device or group of devices to use LTE will include Blackberry???
    08-22-10 07:43 AM
    Verizon kicked BlackBerry to the curb months ago in favor of the Droid. Every Droid they sell is pure profit since they don't have to share profits from the data plan with RIM.

08-22-10 07:53 AM
    It sure does seem less likely that VZW will be pushing an LTE capable BB early next year, doesn't it? I was thinking of holding out until a new BB besides the Bold came out but the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'll be going with something else before the holidays. The other devices are too advanced to not at least heavily consider.

*bangs head against wall* Wake up RIM/VZW! We want cutting edge BB's that actually compete with other devices, not lag a year + behind them...

08-22-10 08:43 AM
    well as sandman pointed out, Rev a came almost a year late to BBs on verizon. That doesnt leave any comfort in the idea of LTE coming to BB first
    08-22-10 08:47 AM
    Forget the Torch, it's too bad Verizon never got the 9700. That would have been an amazing device on VZW.
    08-22-10 10:26 AM
    VZW gets a new Android every week, get one of those.

08-22-10 11:13 AM
    RIM doesn't get it.
    The future of smartphones is in 3.7-4.3" touchscreen devices.
    The iPhone not withstanding doesn't have a screen that large and neither does the Incredible but they both sell like crazy. The HTC Evo 4G ,Droid X along with the Samsung Galaxy S platform are the hottest phone and don't stay in stock. 2-3 Week wait for most of them.

If the next Storm was announced with a 4" screen and a webkit browser, I'd be all over it. I really liked my S1 and I currently like my S2 but with nothing compelling in the form of a S3, I ordered a Droid X.

Rim always looks into functionality first. What good is an Evo? I am in the military, there are times where we aren't allowed to use our phones for 14 hours some days while training, I call those days weekdays. If I pull my phone out and its almost dead or already dead, what good does that do?

Screen also takes away from battery power and forces you to increase the spec of a phone. Rim has always been the other way around, build a phone then build a PDA to work around that phone.
    08-22-10 02:22 PM
    I agree VZW is putting their stock in Android based phones.
    The BBs are great with email, calendar, contacts, tasks.
    Beyond that, any web based or media rich content is now the droid or iphone world.

My works asks me occasionally if we are missing something with all the phones and technologies out. I tell them the same thing.
    If email/messages are the most important...stick with BB.
    If we move towards web based apps/videos, etc. for our day to day routine and/or training, time to jump ship. We can push email to any BB or Active Sync device (iphone, droid or windows phone)...so no issues there.

That being said, I put my hands on a friends Torch. It's nice. I'd get one if it was on big red...for work of course. But I've been thinking more and more of a droid phone....
    08-23-10 01:17 PM
    Rim always looks into functionality first. What good is an Evo? I am in the military, there are times where we aren't allowed to use our phones for 14 hours some days while training, I call those days weekdays. If I pull my phone out and its almost dead or already dead, what good does that do?

Screen also takes away from battery power and forces you to increase the spec of a phone. Rim has always been the other way around, build a phone then build a PDA to work around that phone.
    theres a feature on the phone that allows you to shut it down for just those types of situations... its called a power button
    08-23-10 03:24 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD