Okay, so my family's cell phone plan is coming up in a couple of months (Hey with all this talk about phones like the Storm, who can wait?!) Since it first came out, I knew I was going to switch to AT&T for the iPhone 3G. I think it's amazing!!! It's sleek, sexy, performs smoothly, etc. Plus, web browsing and the amount of cool and useful apps are second to none.

The only problem I have is that AT&T's call service is crap. I live in Grand Rapids, MI where friends have told me it's alright. But I travel to Lansing, MI a lot to hang out with college friends, etc. and the call quality there could not be worse.

Then I heard how RIM is creating a touch-screen Blackberry. After more info got out about the Storm I got excited for that too. I could stay with Verizon and get a hot phone. The Web browsing looked decent but... I haven't heard much about apps. One of the key things that got me hooked on the iPhone 3G was the apps. Given there are some in the +10 dollar range but most are free to $5. Is there any info about if a lot of developers are coming to RIM's Storm to make apps and are they all going to have a price on them? Not to mention I have heard that their data plans are more expensive (min. $50/month) Why are they charging $20 for what seems to be the same service that other companies are providing for $30.

Can someone please help me make a decision? I'm having a real tough time with this.

P.S. I've never "bargained" with Verizon (or most places anyway) but is there anyway maybe I can get them to bring down the cost of the bill, you know a little here and there. Anyone who knows how to do this and tells me will be greatly appreciated!!!
    10-16-08 10:45 PM
    First to clear things up, VZW's minimum data plan is $24.99 for I think 10 MB BIS, $29.99 unlimited BIS, and $44.99 unlimited BES.

Second, ask yourself would you rather have a hyped up phone with a lot of applications that has service half the time you need it to, or a phone that is bound to be a hit (more applications to be developed) by a solid company that has service everywhere you need it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 10:56 PM
    Thank you for correcting me about the data plans. I was referring that way because, as far as I understand it, everywhere else is $20-30 for unlimited data.

And as for the service, that's only a concern when I travel, and a lot of my friends have wifi so I could use a VoIP app. Also I do sometimes travel internationally so if I just got a SIM card for an iPhone, it'll be a lot easier to deal with than renting another one.

As for the apps, that's the thing, I haven't really heard of any news about certain or many groups/companies/individuals making apps for the BB. It's just that a lot of the apps for the iPhone look really cool and/or useful and I just hope that the Storm can get just half as many apps that the iPhone does.
    10-16-08 11:07 PM
    Okay, is what I'm hearing correct that the BB Storm won't have Wi-Fi?
    10-16-08 11:14 PM
    Okay, is what I'm hearing correct that the BB Storm won't have Wi-Fi?
    We don't know for sure, but judging by Verizon's track record, it won't. I think they require that it is disabled so that you won't be tempted to forgo their data plan.

10-16-08 11:40 PM
    Not to be mean or anything but there is a separate section for the storm on these forums and all the info you need is there. here is a link for all you need to know:

BlackBerry Storm official press images and specs! : Boy Genius Report
    10-16-08 11:49 PM
    We all know there isn't wifi in the phone. why are people still acting like it's just speculation
    10-16-08 11:50 PM
    Ya Rim clearly stated there is NO wifi in the storm. Just no room on the motherboard to have it. Also you get unlimitd BIS internet for 30 bux which is the same everywhere else. and the storm is a World Phone, so if you go over sea's your phone will still work, you'll just have to pay extra on ur bill for the time ur gone to add international coverage. OR what you could do is call verizon tell them u want the unlock code for ur phone and tehn buy a sim over there. who knows
    10-16-08 11:56 PM
    Well... find out if AT&T is really crappy.

Get a prepaid phone and test it out.

I honestly do not think the apps will be as abundant as the iPhone, but we don't really have any news on the App Store from RIM.

If service is really so-so, then your decision is already made between those two carriers, whether it would be the Storm or another device, service comes first or at least IMO.
    10-17-08 12:55 AM
    First to clear things up, VZW's minimum data plan is $24.99 for I think 10 MB BIS, $29.99 unlimited BIS, and $44.99 unlimited BES.

Second, ask yourself would you rather have a hyped up phone with a lot of applications that has service half the time you need it to, or a phone that is bound to be a hit (more applications to be developed) by a solid company that has service everywhere you need it?

I'm glad you know everywhere he will need it. If he is like me, in malls by my former part time and my current job (granted it is at&t, we still use Verizon landline, lol).

Please speak from your experience, not telling him what his experience will be.
    10-17-08 12:57 AM
    We don't know for sure, but judging by Verizon's track record, it won't. I think they require that it is disabled so that you won't be tempted to forgo their data plan.

Since the data plan for bb's on vzw is required you can't simply forgo the data plan . . Having wifi would be a benefit though in certain places i must admit. .

I also do not know of any bb that has been on verizon ever having wifi

I can't remember where I read it but i heard that RIM simply could not "fit it" into the phone
    10-17-08 01:16 AM
    Wow thanx a lot everyone

Ok, given I really can't make a choice until next june, but if I had to make a choice right now. I'd pick the BB Storm. But if it ever becomes the fact that a third iteration of the iPhone comes about before then, well I'll just have to look into that as well and rethink my decision. Thanx a lot
    10-17-08 08:14 AM
    well given apples' track record that just might happen.
    10-17-08 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD