is it possible to buy an unlocked blackberry tour from ebay (for example) and use it with the metro pcs carrier?
    12-05-09 03:24 PM
    It can be flashed, but you wont get BIS/BBM or push email. All you will get is internet and text messages.
    12-05-09 04:35 PM
    I don't necessarily trust metropcs. Before I bought my tour I was planning on buying my friends which he was using on metropcs at the time. He bought his on craigslist and was bored with it. We took the phone into verizon and found out the esn was reported stolen. How could a carrier like metropcs allow stolen phones to b activated and used with their service? Sounds like a shady carrier to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-09 04:42 PM
    Right, they by pass the ESN system by flashing the device. lol. Its pretty brutal, plus, you go around carrying a crippled device that isn't much of a BlackBerry.
    Last edited by fabuloso; 12-05-09 at 04:49 PM.
    12-05-09 04:44 PM
    Ahh, I didn't know flashing did that, thanks for the info!

12-05-09 04:46 PM
    Right, they by pass the ESN system by flashing the device. lol. Its pretty brutal...
    Not quite. "Flashing" a BlackBerry is just changing the PRL and reprogramming the NAM. You don't "bypass the ESN system". lol

The reason why he was able to use a phone that was reported stolen, was because the ESN was only reported stolen to VERIZON. There is no "stolen phone database" that the carriers share (which you referred to as the ESN system), and since there is no BlackBerry Service being used, there was no need to check with RIM to find out if the PIN was blacklisted.
    12-06-09 12:15 AM
    moved to the N.A. carrier's section.
    12-06-09 12:48 AM
    I have a blackberry curve 8330 from sprint. I connected it to metro like two weeks ago so I guess it is unlocked. But I'm having problems with it. I can't only use the internet icon and the sms and mms. When I try to set up the email application it only gives me the option of set up a work email account with a blackberry enterprise sever n then ask me for an enterprise activation password. When I try to set up my email it says "a service connection is unavailable". Also, I can download applications directly from the internet but I cannot use them. Please can someone help me?

12-12-09 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD