There's been some discussion on the Bold forum about this. Just wondering if other devices were seeing the same thing. Basically, BB Maps got disabled somehow. Throgh some restoring, etc., I got the icon to appear (and this is in any non-AT&T theme as the default AT&T theme automatically hides the BBMaps icon). However, as soon as I resent my service books, poof, it was gone. I tried launching it from QuickLaunch, and got a "Maps has been disabled" message. At least one other Bold user who had a working BBMaps installation essentially got snubbed when he/she resent the service books.

Just wondering if this is some new undisclosed AT&T policy.
    03-19-09 03:23 PM
    Blackberry Maps has always been disabled.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 04:16 PM
    Not on unlocked/unbranded phones, though that has just changed as of last Friday.
    03-21-09 08:09 PM
    I mean for AT&T bb's. I think there's a service book you have to send to get BB Maps on AT&T.
    03-22-09 12:59 AM
    I'm experiencing the same issues. Blackberry Maps in fact worked fine with my Bold on AT&T, until I upgraded my OS last week. So...how do I get my Blackberry Maps back?
    04-11-09 04:51 AM
    Sorry, BBMaps is gone for good with AT&T Bolds. No work around has been found. Get GoogleMaps.
    04-11-09 10:06 AM

Up until a few weeks ago, I was able to use it. Yes, it did require downloading an OS and installing it to the device. Yes, it did require using a theme other than the AT&T Precision one. But up until a few weeks ago, it never was truly diabled (at least direct launching of it - I can still launch it from a location in BBM or Cacheberry).
    04-11-09 10:44 AM
    HEY! I just checked my Bold after seeing this nasty rumor in the OS 5 thread... sure enough... BBMaps is gone. I didn't use it that often but loved having the option. WTF AT&T?!!!
    04-14-09 10:27 AM
    HEY! I just checked my Bold after seeing this nasty rumor in the OS 5 thread... sure enough... BBMaps is gone. I didn't use it that often but loved having the option. WTF AT&T?!!!
    AT&T: what's the problem? not enough revenue so you shut down BBMaps until we pay up!!
    04-14-09 10:59 AM
    downloading google maps is a good solution at least and its free.
    04-15-09 04:56 AM
    Well, I've spent so much time trying to find a solution for reinstalling or reactivating my BB maps that had been working straight out the box since Dec '08, but due to a warranty replacement and resending service books, I've lost my this app. I've spent hours on my own, being quite familiar with the ins and outs of BB, then called AT&T for support. What a joke, a really, really sad joke at that calling them.

First they start with the usual which ok its what the first level of contact must ask. Over a period of worthless attempts at trying to help me (they're only following what they read and no nothing about the phone itself), they then send me to technical support. OK, here they have a clue to a degree but soon resort to reading and then wasting time with the same worthless steps as the first person. They conclude with "BB maps is not supported and has never been on the Bold". Man, if AT&T are going to pay people to support and trouble shoot, the least they can do is educate them to know that the BB Bold out the box has BB maps which works flawlessly until service books are sent.

Ok lets move on, I then get the data department and here we go again "hello sir, so I hear your phone's not working properly", blah, blah ... So I have to explain and educate yet another member of the AT&T staff how things work. Truly unbelievable and shocking that for what phones and phone plans are going for, that no money's being sent again on educating their staff. A complete waist of time which.

Conclusion is simple, AT&T know what's happening but they simply do not care!!! Yes they do not care!!! The staff doesn't know how to resolve the issue and its been on going as we all know. I've spent a combined total of 16 hours trying to cooperate with them so they can help me with an app that I have been using and invested in having; only for them to strip it away with no warning. Basically thanks for your investment, now you have less, thank you for contacting us.

I cannot add how frustrating this entire situation has been for me and my family, as they watch me trying to help someone who knows less. A shame I say, a shame.
    04-20-09 09:33 PM
    downloading google maps is a good solution at least and its free.
    Agreed, I've been using Google maps for almost a month now, with no problems at all.
    04-21-09 01:41 PM
    well i have the storm 9530 unlocked with tmo
    and once i sent the service book pooh bbmaps is gone.
    04-24-09 10:20 PM
    "we've always been at war with Eastasia"

08-11-09 02:38 AM
    I upgraded to OS 5.0.0.314 and was able to open bb maps using quicklaunch, but I downgraded to 4.0.0.304 and now I can't even use quicklaunch to open bb maps.
    11-12-09 08:27 PM
    Can't speak for the 5.xx OS version, but if you do a search for "BlackBerry Maps on AT&T - Application to Enable" here at the forums, this worked for me on v4.6.0.304. (and when I reach 10 posts, I'll be able to post the freaking link. :- )
    11-13-09 11:09 AM
    I have att got my maps to work by downloading this
    Works because I used this even after upgrading
    mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=maps_sbi

11-13-09 07:25 PM
    Dynomite!! - thanks. worked like a charm on v4.6.0.304.
    12-01-09 03:39 PM
    Bummer, no joy for my Bold on ATT running 5.0.0.238.
    Says my device is not supported.

Glad it works for others.
    12-02-09 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD