Here are the directions I recevied from T-Mo to unlock a Curve:

1. Press the Menu key.
    2. Scroll to Options and press the trackball.
    3. Scroll to Advanced Options and press the trackball.
    4. Scroll to SIM Card and press the trackball.
    5. Type MEPPD
    Note: When typing in MEPPD the letters will not appear on the screen.
    This step opens up the personalization on the device.
    6. Press the Alt key and type MEPP2
    Note: When typing in MEPP2 the letters/number will not appear on the
    screen. This Step opens up the Enter Network MEP code box.
    7. Enter unlock code.
    8. Press the Enter Key.
    02-10-08 05:43 PM
    I'm completely new to this. so sorry if i have stupid question! What will happen to my phone if I unlocked it? and does this apply to Curve 8310 too?
    02-10-08 05:51 PM
    I'm completely new to this. so sorry if i have stupid question! What will happen to my phone if I unlocked it? and does this apply to Curve 8310 too?
    Hey Mandy...

You phone will now be able to be used on any type of GSM network (At&t, T-Mo...etc.)....nothing bad...its a good thing!

Eric
    02-11-08 09:40 AM
    Yup sandman has it correct. I just unlocked my T-mobile to be used on Fido. During unlocking process I never had my Sim card in it. Once entering code I shut it off popped in my sim and it picked it up like a charm
    02-13-08 10:22 PM
    I read the whole forum and for some reason there is one problem I have that has not been mentioned.

I've been with T-mobile for about a month now and I called T-mobile up for an unlock code. They sent me an email with instructions but instead of the unlock code they give me this message: Unlock Code: Eligible in 7 days after Remorse period.

I call them back up and they tell me that I have to be with their network for 90 days in order to receive a code. What the heck is up with that?

Can anyone please tell me where I can go to get a free unlock code? Should I call that AT&T number up and use my friends information to get an unlock code for a T-mobile blackberry 8320 phone or what?

Please help, and thanks in advance for the help.
    02-14-08 04:57 PM
    not unless you reactivate on BES with new device
    02-14-08 05:20 PM
    I read the whole forum and for some reason there is one problem I have that has not been mentioned.

I've been with T-mobile for about a month now and I called T-mobile up for an unlock code. They sent me an email with instructions but instead of the unlock code they give me this message: Unlock Code: Eligible in 7 days after Remorse period.

I call them back up and they tell me that I have to be with their network for 90 days in order to receive a code. What the heck is up with that?

Can anyone please tell me where I can go to get a free unlock code? Should I call that AT&T number up and use my friends information to get an unlock code for a T-mobile blackberry 8320 phone or what?

Please help, and thanks in advance for the help.
    No that will not work...unless you want to pay for an unlock code; the code has to be specific to THAT phones IMEI number (which only the phone company has), aka: At&t is not going to have an unlock code for a T-Mo phone. And yes T-Mo's policy is 90-day wait period...
    02-14-08 05:28 PM
    No that will not work...unless you want to pay for an unlock code; the code has to be specific to THAT phones IMEI number (which only the phone company has), aka: At&t is not going to have an unlock code for a T-Mo phone. And yes T-Mo's policy is 90-day wait period...
    what if I use my brother's account on T-mobile which he has had for over 90 days and give them the IMEI number from my blackberry?

Thanks,
    02-14-08 05:56 PM
    here is a site i found that provides or supposedly provides unlocking software/hardware.

How to unlock Blackberry Unlocking Equipment for Blackberry cell phones [Firmware flashing upgrade repair]
    02-14-08 07:25 PM
    I placed my prepaid sim in my 8320 and got a message about lack of funds to make a call.

BS, theres 400 minutes on the sim. I take the same sim and put it in my razor and make the call.

How can I verify the phones unlocked?
    02-14-08 07:53 PM
    Yup sandman has it correct. I just unlocked my T-mobile to be used on Fido. During unlocking process I never had my Sim card in it. Once entering code I shut it off popped in my sim and it picked it up like a charm
    Hey, what service did you use to unlock your 8320 Tmobile? I've had my phone for a month, looking for different services but each one has failed me so far! SOOOO frustrating!
    02-14-08 08:03 PM
    what if I use my brother's account on T-mobile which he has had for over 90 days and give them the IMEI number from my blackberry?

Thanks,
    Yes, that could work. Whoever has the T-Mo account has to call and ask for the code and give the phones IMEI, if it is approved they will get an email with the code in it. This is similar to what I did...

Eric
    02-16-08 09:47 AM
    Litigation is pending now against carriers that lock equipment that does not belong to them,ie. phones.

If you ask for the subsidy unlock code, they will give it to you WHETHER OR NOT YOUR THEIR CUSTOMER.

I already did this and I have never been an AT&T customer.

If they don't, they are breaking the law.

If your holding a stolen phone, all bets are off!
    02-16-08 10:42 AM
    Litigation is pending now against carriers that lock equipment that does not belong to them,ie. phones.

If you ask for the subsidy unlock code, they will give it to you WHETHER OR NOT YOUR THEIR CUSTOMER.

I already did this and I have never been an AT&T customer.

If they don't, they are breaking the law.

If your holding a stolen phone, all bets are off!
    I wonder if this is true....and by litigation,,,you mean what? Who is suing who?

And by breaking the law....breaking what law?

When a phone is branded "T-Mobile" or "AT&T" - they do technically own the phone....they bought the batch. They contract with RIM and buy the batch.

This is why when you call RIM and ask about warranty service, if the phone is within one (1) year old (the warranty is also sold to the service provider) they will tell you that you have to speak to your service provider. But after the year you can have RIM service your phone through their out-of-warranty service.

Er
    02-16-08 11:55 AM
    I wonder if this is true....and by litigation,,,you mean what? Who is suing who?

And by breaking the law....breaking what law?

When a phone is branded "T-Mobile" or "AT&T" - they do technically own the phone....they bought the batch. They contract with RIM and buy the batch.

This is why when you call RIM and ask about warranty service, if the phone is within one (1) year old (the warranty is also sold to the service provider) they will tell you that you have to speak to your service provider. But after the year you can have RIM service your phone through their out-of-warranty service.

Er
    Absolutely not, not when you buy it outright.
    02-16-08 12:03 PM
    Cell phone firms sued over 'lock' codes
    Practice thwarts consumer choice, consumer group charges
    The Associated Press
    updated 7:57 p.m. CT, Mon., June. 7, 2004

LOS ANGELES - A consumer watchdog group sued three cell phone companies on Monday for "locking" their phones to make it harder for customers to switch carriers.

The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights filed suit accusing AT&T Wireless Services Inc., T-Mobile USA Inc. and Cingular Wireless, of using software in their handsets that prevents them from being used on a competitors' network.

The practice effectively thwarts recent federal regulations allowing people to retain their phone numbers when switching mobile carriers, according to the lawsuit, filed in Superior Court in Los Angeles.

The lawsuit accuses the companies of engaging in unfair and deceptive business practices under state law.

"If you can use the same phone number with other carriers, you should be able to use the same phone," said Jordan Lurie, an attorney representing the plaintiffs.

The phone companies defend their policy, saying they routinely subsidize handset cost. Companies would lose money if they allowed customers to then use those phones with another carrier.

"What we do not wish to do is subsidize the cost of a handset for another carrier," said Tony Carter, a spokesman for Atlanta-based Cingular Wireless.

Carter said he had not seen the lawsuit. T-Mobile, based in Bellevue, Wash., did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

A spokesman for Redmond, Wash.-based AT&T Wireless said he had not seen the lawsuit, but called the company's sale of handsets legal and pro-competitive.

"This subsidy is a great benefit to subscribers," AT&T spokesman Art Navarro said. "We simply can't afford to subsidize phones, however, unless they are used on our network. The FCC has previously examined this issue of bundling phones and service in this way and found that it promoted competition."

Consumers Union sent a letter to the Federal Communications Commission in March protesting the practice of locking handsets. The CU argued that consumers pay the cost of subsidizing the handset purchase over the life of a contract or through a hefty termination fee if the contract is broken early.

"After the consumer has fulfilled the terms of the contract, there is no longer any justification on the company's part to keep the handset locked," said Janee Briesemeister, who heads a campaign targeting cell phone company practices.

The lawsuit targets companies that use a particular technology called Global System Mobile communications, or GSM. Those phones contain a computer chip, called a SIM card, that links the phone to a particular network.

Consumers should be able to simply swap a SIM card from a competitor's network to change carriers.

But the lawsuit claims that Cingular will provide a code to customers to unlock the SIM card only if the customer's contract has expired. T-Mobile provides an unlocking code after the customer has subscribed for a number of months, while AT&T will not unlock the SIM card under any circumstances, the lawsuit charges.
    02-16-08 12:03 PM
    Apple, AT&T served with class action suit over iPhone locking practices

Posted Oct 10th 2007 4:05PM by Chris Ziegler
    Filed under: Cellphones
    It goes without saying that if you sell enough of pretty much anything, you're going to eventually get someone riled up over a missing feature, a broken feature, or in this case, an unwanted feature -- and that someone might just happen to know a lawyer (or worse yet, be one). The latest class action suit against Apple and AT&T over the iPhone, filed in California, reads like a what's-what of complaints we've heard since before the phone was even released: the carrier shouldn't be charging an early termination fee for a phone that isn't subsidized, its international roaming plan is a total ripoff compared to a prepaid SIM that you'd normally buy to use with an unlocked handset, and most notably, that neither AT&T nor Apple have the right to purposefully damage (via firmware update) or void the warranty of a "lawfully" unlocked iPhone. All told, the suit rocks the two companies with a grand total of six counts -- alleging violations of a garden variety of state and federal laws -- each asking for between $200 and $600 million in cold, hard cash. Anyone who's bought an iPhone and "sustained damages" from it is entitled to participate, so put on your lawyerin' pants and enjoy the courtroom action.
    02-16-08 12:04 PM
    Well the whole iPhone thing, that is a seperate issue all together. At&t contracted with Apple and Im sure is paying A LOT of money to have exclusive use to the iPhone.

But as far as everything else, you are free to obtain an unlock code from At&t (under certain circumstances), as I did very easily. T-Mo offers an unlock code after being a customer for 3 months.

But yes there is no reason to lock the phones IMO. To get the subsidized price, you have to sign a contract and that is how the company makes their money back when subsidizing phone prices, they get the contract, otherwise you have to buy the phone outright (which def should NOT be locked).

But there is no reason why RIM shouldn't offer non-branded devices to be bought outright and used wherever.
    02-16-08 12:22 PM
    I got my unlock code from att just by asking.
    02-16-08 02:09 PM
    i have a 8320 with tmobile. and after i enter the first code, i have to enter some number that tmobile had to email me and never did... the mep2 doesnt work... and why in the world do i have to get tmobiles permission to unlock my phone
    02-19-08 03:23 PM
    i have a 8320 with tmobile. and after i enter the first code, i have to enter some number that tmobile had to email me and never did... the mep2 doesnt work... and why in the world do i have to get tmobiles permission to unlock my phone
    You don't need their permission, just the code.

They will send it free, Never pay anyone for a code, There's lots of scammers out there.
    Last edited by ant17; 02-19-08 at 10:18 PM.
    02-19-08 06:30 PM

They will send it free, Never pay anyone for a code, There's lost of scammers out there.

x2 - T-Mo just requires that you have been a customer for at least 90 days...
    02-19-08 09:03 PM

They will send it free, Never pay anyone for a code, There's lots of scammers out there.
    Are you kidding? Thousands of people have purchased unlock codes from code sellers without problems. JUST USE PAYPAL or CREDIT CARD...you are fully protected with either service. There are scammers out there, but if you take the correct precautions...you're good to go.

Ant17: I would suggest writing on what you know, not what you assume. T-Mobile will only send the code to customers of TMobile. Most folks that need an unlock code are not customers of the provider that has locked their phone...I would have thought this was obvious.
    02-19-08 10:38 PM
    How do I know if my bb is locked or unlocked?And what is this locking and unlocking for?I have no clue,on this issue.Can someone please explain to me?
    Thankyou in advance

Please email me.
    Last edited by christyer1; 02-20-08 at 03:26 AM.
    02-20-08 03:01 AM
    How do I know if my bb is locked or unlocked?And what is this locking and unlocking for?I have no clue,on this issue.Can someone please explain to me?
    Thankyou in advance

Please email me.
    OK you need to read the rest of the thread...but real quick, locking is what carriers do so their phone can only be used with their service.
    02-20-08 10:08 AM
1,410 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD