So, basically I have both a classic and a passport. I have had t mobile for about a month now with my classic. The signal was out of this world and the speed was just to die for. I have a really good experience with tmobile. Then I bought a passport and switched the sim card. I am now at work where I mostly use my phone and the signal appears to be less. I still have 4g but not lte which I would almost always have on the classic. I bought the red limited version of the passport and doubt it could be any outside metal since it's mostly plastic from the outside. I guess it's a set back because I thought the passport was just ******* the ****. But I mean it's still Damn fast. Anyway this is just my experience guys. Hopefully it helps!

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 02:44 AM
    Next day update: I still receive less signal on my blackberry passport than I would get on my blackberry classic. It's such a big difference I might just keep my classic and return my passport.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 01:48 AM
    Make sure you are comparing dBm and not "bars."

Posted via CB10
    Anovascular likes this.
    02-22-15 02:22 AM
    I have no idea what that means.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:27 AM
    There's an app called Signal by Odd Element in BlackBerry World that will give you the signal strength as a numerical number. See how the Classic compares with the Passport. The closer the "signal level" is to zero, the better. i.e. -30 is better than -50.
    Anovascular likes this.
    02-22-15 02:50 AM
    Better yet it to run the escreen so that you can see the SINR ( signal quality, basically a signal to noise ratio). I'm at RSSI = -60 and SINR = 26.8.

The passport is a Paratek equipped device. It should be really good.

You will have to dig up a thread to learn how to bring up the escreen. The data is found at 3GPP radio -> radio network info -> serving cell (LTE)

Posted via CB10
    Anovascular likes this.
    02-22-15 10:40 AM
    A lot of people are reporting lower signal strength with the Passport. Myself included. Hasn't really been an issue though, so I just roll with it.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 12:48 AM
    The Register claims the Passport has a Paratek antenna.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09...rt_first_look/

Posted via CB10
    Anovascular and raino like this.
    03-05-15 05:06 PM
    The Register claims the Passport has a Paratek antenna.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09...rt_first_look/

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't act like it. Perhaps mine is defective.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 06:27 PM
    It's not defective. On multiple reviews people complain about the signal loss. It's official.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    03-10-15 03:46 PM
    Can anyone else share their experiences? How is your Passport's signal?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 05:33 AM
    My Classic has a way better signal than my Passport - I'd like to see some official proof that the Passport has a Paratek antenna - I wouldn't be surprised that Foxconn saved money by substituting some inferior version (if it's Foxconn who actually makes the Passport).
    Could also be the difference in OS - maybe the Passport OS isn't optimized for Paratek.

The above relates to Mobile Signal. Might also add that I never get the "WiFi Limited" issue on my Classic but constantly get it on my Passport (to be true it's only wth the router at my Firehouse but all the same I believe that the Passport has a weaker WiFi signal
    08-04-15 11:54 AM
    I have lower signal on the Passport than any other device running on T-mobile.
    It's network software programming thing. I don't say issue because it really isn't a issue or problem technically.

The T-mobile Classic is programmed to optimize T-mobile network.
    The Passport is programmed to run across a wider range of networks.

If you take a different carriers Classic, unlock it and bring it over to T-mobile, you'll find that Classic will than act like the Passport does.

I thought I was having a problem with my Passport. BlackBerry confirmed that there is no problem with the phone it's self. Than I got on the phone with T-mobile. T-mobile said, "due to the phone not being carrier specific, it's not programmed to optimize the network, and there for is hit and miss when it comes to network reliability ".

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    08-17-15 05:26 PM
    Than I got on the phone with T-mobile. T-mobile said, "due to the phone not being carrier specific, it's not programmed to optimize the network, and there for is hit and miss when it comes to network reliability ".

No offense, but that sounds like Customer Service agent hokum. I've heard similar nonsense when calling in about reception issues with my Z30. I think it boils down to a strategy to use that excuse with any customer who doesn't have a T-Mo branded phone.
    modifier likes this.
    08-18-15 12:34 AM
    No offense, but that sounds like Customer Service agent hokum. I've heard similar nonsense when calling in about reception issues with my Z30. I think it boils down to a strategy to use that excuse with any customer who doesn't have a T-Mo branded phone.
    It wasn't just customer service. It was a tech.
    If I'm not mistaken the Z30 is not a Tmobile branded phone. So it makes sense also that your Z30 has issues from time to time.

08-18-15 05:12 AM
    If you go on the Passport forum you'll find people complaining about Passport signal in general.
    08-18-15 08:28 AM
    The T-mobile Classic is programmed to optimize T-mobile network.
    The Passport is programmed to run across a wider range of networks.
    Rather than us providing you with the answer, do yourself a huge favor and research the network bands that T-Mobile uses, research the unlocked Passport and Classic network support list, research which Classic variant that T-Mobile sells, then try to find differences in the above. The answers you find on all four questions will surprise you.

[CB10 / Q10]
    08-18-15 09:05 AM
    Rather than us providing you with the answer, do yourself a huge favor and research the network bands that T-Mobile uses, research the unlocked Passport and Classic network support list, research which Classic variant that T-Mobile sells, then try to find differences in the above. The answers you find on all four questions will surprise you.

[CB10 / Q10]
    You seem to know much more.
    How about sharing the informational links so everyone has an answer to the questions.

08-18-15 04:40 PM
    You seem to know much more.
    How about sharing the informational links so everyone has an answer to the questions.

Really? Adam Savage's quote is about doing one's own research rather than blindly accepting what's available.

Here are the basics:

T-Mobile uses the following bands:
    LTE: 2, 4, 12
    HSPA+/UMTS: 1700, 1900, 2100
    GSM: 1900
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_US

The unlocked Passport models have the following bands:
    LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20
    HSPA+/UMTS: 800/850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100
    GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
    Source: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-961279/

The unlocked Classic* model has the following bands:
    LTE: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 13, 17, 25
    HSPA+/UMTS: 800/850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100
    GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
    Source: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-977803/
    *Note: This is the exact same SQC100-4 as what T-Mobile sells. No "programming" changes are made in the firmware or operating system.

Match up the numbers to see how T-Mobile's boilerplate response is utter BS. Both the unlocked Passport and Classic have identical network support on T-Mobile.

They said what they said purely because they don't sell the Passport and therefore don't support it. You'd get the same response if you had a GSM Motorola brick phone.
    08-18-15 07:48 PM
    Just to get it out of the way, I have received support from T-mobile in regards to my Passport. Can they replace it? No, but they are more than willing to spend their time and help me resolve any questions or issues I have with it the best they can.

And your information you supplied only supports what I previously stated.
    Just because the unlocked versions can cover more frequencies than a carrier branded phone does not make them better. It actually makes them worse on a network that has fewer frequencies.

And if your going to look up information, use a reliable source. Like right from the horses mouth. Not Wikipedia.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

08-18-15 08:27 PM
    Just because the unlocked versions can cover more frequencies than a carrier branded phone does not make them better. It actually makes them worse on a network that has fewer frequencies.
    Please post links supporting your claims that a branded phone works better than an unbranded one on T-Mobile's network. Keep in mind that the "branded" BB10 phones T-Mobile have sold have all been identical to the unbranded versions available directly through BlackBerry. That includes the Z10 STL100-3, Q10 SQN100-5 and Classic SQC100-4.

And, to my original point, the Passport you personally own covers the exact same frequencies on T-Mobile as the Classic that they sell. How would you explain the difference in signal? Could it be possible that the Passport's antenna isn't as good or are you completely ruling that out based on what T-Mobile CS told you?

[CB10 / Q10]
    Last edited by modifier; 08-18-15 at 09:03 PM.
    08-18-15 08:49 PM
    Plan and simple the carrier specific phones are optimized for those carriers where as an international non carrier specific phone is just validated to work.

Here's one of many article's to help you understand. There's plenty more information and additional articles out there that cover the subject.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-phones-...ones-unlocked/

bbtexcracker likes this.
    08-18-15 09:03 PM
    I'm not asking "in general." I'm asking specifically about the BB10 phones that T-Mobile sold.

You also didn't address the second part of my post above. If two unlocked phones support the same frequencies and are running the same OS, how does one get a better signal than the other? Could it be the hardware or are you still set on believing that there's something else going on here?

I'm trying to help you understand that T-Mobile's response is crap. The unlocked Passport supports the same frequencies as the Classic they sell. The difference isn't "programming", it's hardware.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Last edited by modifier; 08-18-15 at 09:19 PM.
    08-18-15 09:04 PM
    Yes, it MIGHT be the hardware. Why? Because both the Classic and Passport were claimed to have the newer Paratek antennas. I did an (admittedly cursory) read on these antennas and they are tunable to a certain extent. It might be that TMO has asked BBRY to optimize the Classic Paratek antenna for the frequencies that the TMO network uses wheras the Passport Paratek antenna is not so optimized because TMO does not sell it.
    From my own experience (I had a red Passport) and a Black Classic (and also a Blue Classic) - both of the Classics received better signals on TMO than the Passport (i'm just measuring dbm) and my own experience. In fact I will not get another Passport for this reason.

The above is not meant to be a scientific explanation - just anecdotal. But to modifier's point - it could be hardware and more specifically antenna tuning.
    modifier likes this.
    08-18-15 09:27 PM
    Agreed. Also keep in mind that both the AT&T Passport and unlocked Passport have an equal amount of complaints on AT&T's network when compared to both the AT&T Classic and unlocked Classic. The issue follows the device irrespective of the network and variables compared.

There's something to be found there if one were to look.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Kwms likes this.
    08-18-15 09:38 PM
42 12