View Poll Results: HTC EVO or the Blackberry Bold 9650

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blackberry bold 9650

42 47.19%
  • HTC EVO

47 52.81%
    I at first wanted the Bold so bad, but you know after RIM keeping on delaying it and it really ain't much of a upgrade from the tour, I mean WOW a trackpad, wifi and 512 of memory, when it was going to be the Tour 2 which from the looks of it, still looks like the Tour with a trackpad, it was supposed to have 2 gigs of onboard memory, not now... I have seen on the news the Android macket is starting to surpass the iPhone now. The Wifi Hotspot, 4G capable, two cameras, the gig processor, and tons more aps and free, is just tempting me to the point that I want it, RIM seems like ALL their products are the same, they don't seem to want to push the envelope to something different, except to RE-BRAND a good phone to something they already have, and are still going to produce, they is just gonna confuse people when you tell them you have a Bold and everyone will assume your with AT&T cause that is what the Bold phone is known for is it's a GSM phone. It looks NOTHING like any of the other Bolds, it looks like a TOUR! I was looking forward to the Tour 2 with everything when it was named that had to offer, now it's like nothing worth paying another $200.00 for when I just purchased my Tour back in Jan for $100 from Sprint.
    So someone please tell me am I wrong for thinking this? Do I dare try out the EVO or just goto the Bold?
    05-14-10 02:09 AM
    Coming from an 8330m the Blackberry Bold 9650 would be a nice upgrade, but seeing as to what the HTC EVO has to offer for the same price, I'm going with the HTC EVO. It all depends on what you want the phone to do, I personally use gmail as my main email and have access to all Google products, so I could see myself using the EVO to it's fullest extent, the 10.00 premium data fee, doesn't make me want it any less, and I don't mind paying for the Hot Spot feature, as I plan on abusing it. So the EVO is the best deal for me, but not everyone will have the same needs. If anything, what is you want most from your phone? Then compare that to what each one offers to meet those needs, and hey, you could try them both out.
    05-14-10 02:21 AM
    I'm going with the BB if for nothing more than the "real" keyboard.
    Does the EVO support true "Push" IMAP Email ?
    05-14-10 08:15 AM
    My Tour is boring me, I am just kind of sick of RIM being behind everyone else as far as innovation, features, and apps go.... I have been a BB user for about 2 years, and not much has changed in that time... same boring, laggy OS, app selection leaves a lot to be desired.

I guess I am kind of a geek about tech and gadgets, and I just feel like RIM is quickly becoming the most boring smartphone out there. I am ready for something new.
    05-14-10 08:15 AM
    I'm going with the BB if for nothing more than the "real" keyboard.
    Does the EVO support true "Push" IMAP Email ?
    From my understanding, if you are a GMAL USER, you will have true PUSH email.... other accounts may actually be pinging the server checking for messages at given intervals, thus taking a toll on the battery..
    05-14-10 08:16 AM
    Not that im getting a new phone anytime soon but if i were i would choose the bold. Im blackberry for life. Even if i wanted the evo. Im not in a 4g area, it gonna cost more money, even if you dont use 4g u still have to pay extra. So no i would get the bold.
    05-14-10 08:38 AM
    BOTH!!! I'm greedy, I want the reliability of a NEW Berry and the NEW of an Evo.
    05-14-10 08:50 AM
    I want the Evo, I really do, but honestly with the way Sprint and HTC have handled the Hero and the way Android is progressing way too fast, I may just get the BlackBerry. A BlackBerry is good for a number of years while Android phones have a tendency to be dead after 6 months. The HTC Hero is STILL on 1.6 and runs like **** but the update has dragged and dragged and dragged on forever.

So I may go with the new Bold when I'm eligible in September, especially if there's confirmation it is getting OS 6. Otherwise I may just switch carriers to someone who DOES have a BB that will be getting OS 6.
    05-14-10 12:35 PM
    Sounds like you should go with the EVO. You can play with it and return it if it's not for you. Get it out of your system!! (Or not.)
    05-14-10 02:15 PM
    there is no comparison in both. EVO blows the old bb os and *bold* out of the water period..
    05-14-10 02:19 PM
    From what I have heard from Sprint is they plan on having 4G nation wide by the end of the year, so if they do it makes me more want the EVO, even if it goes out in 6 months, it has a warranty so it can be replaced...
    Blackberry releases OS alot and alot of the time there are bugs in the OS and it take FOREVER to get the issues fixed and either you need to goto either a hybrid, or an old OS till they get them fixed.
    05-14-10 02:21 PM
    by "out in 6 months" he means the OS is outdated and revamped, not that the phone only lasts for 6 months.

I have an HTC Diamond, I will be getting the Bold first, give it 2-3 weeks to impress me, if not, i'll be picking up the Evo. 99% sure i'll love the Evo but i want to give this Bold a try first.
    05-14-10 04:14 PM
    Right. I mean the EVO looks awesome and I may get it, but I'm not up for upgrade until September and with the way Android phones have progressed I have a feeling it will have been dwarfed by something else. Remember, the Nexus One was supposed to be great, but it's already been outdone to the point Verizon and Sprint are not even going to sell it.

It's just concerning to me because Android phones are becoming like computers were a few years ago where they doubled themselves in power in such a short amount of time that basically as soon as you bought one it was outdated.
    05-14-10 04:48 PM
    So you get it, a year down the road, get the newer one, they are evolving FAST that they are, but from the looks the EVO is a BIG step towards the future in phones. I mean 1 gig of ROM 512 of RAM and a 8 gig memory card, what else out there has that kind of power and specs? a Blackberry surely doesn't, I mean look they tried to improve the the Tour and all they did was give us 512 memory, same OLD processor, not to much of an upgrade... I love my Tour and did want the Bold but a trackpad and wifi with just a little more memory, in which from what I am hearing OS 6 may just take up half that NEW MEMORY!!!
    05-14-10 07:13 PM
    I think his point was that he can't upgrade till Sept, which by then it may be getting close to time for HTC to release a new competitor to the EVO.

Not that unrealistic of a notion considering what HTC has been doing so far.
    05-14-10 07:48 PM
    It was the EVO until I heard about the $10 a month up charge which for whatever reason annoyed me so now I don't know. Honestly if for some reason Verizon does get an iphone I'll get that.
    05-14-10 09:42 PM
    Well Ive been going back and forth finally making up my mind today.

The $10.00 EVO Sprint rip off fee stinks but im going to go with it.

The good old 8330 days are gone It's time to move on.
    I cant handle blackberry anymore, The 9630 has been a nightmare! OS is a mess I dont expect 9650 to be any different.
    I want nothing more to do with Blackberry shabby build quality , primitive OS , lack of apps ,sad browser , sub par performance , BIS crash ever either week etc.

PS
    I will miss BBM but Google talk will have to do
    Last edited by Slingbox; 05-14-10 at 11:10 PM.
    05-14-10 10:55 PM
    The $10.00 is for the 4G thing, but you know what for the price of Sprint's plans, I will suck up $10.00 it is far better than Verison wanting $30.00 more a month for the New Android they are coming out with the 1st of June. That isn't even a 4G phone.... I mean come on CRY over a LOUSY $10.00 when Sprint's plans already KILL the compeditors?
    05-15-10 05:29 AM
    The $10.00 is for the 4G thing, but you know what for the price of Sprint's plans, I will suck up $10.00 it is far better than Verison wanting $30.00 more a month for the New Android they are coming out with the 1st of June. That isn't even a 4G phone.... I mean come on CRY over a LOUSY $10.00 when Sprint's plans already KILL the compeditors?
    +1 been saying that funny how the guy will get a iphone on verizon because he doesnt want to pay $10 for a 4g phone but rather pay $30 for a 3g phone . am i turning crazY>?
    05-15-10 10:05 AM
    Sprint's own PR statement said the $10 is not because of 4g.

And for the record people will always be willing to pay more for Apple products than competitors. That's what's been going on with Macs and ipods and iphones for the last several years... Apple customers have voiced they have no issues paying more for the same value or less.
    05-15-10 10:52 AM
    being that the EVO is an all touchscreen device and the fact that the darn thing is HUGE!!!! i am taking a pass on it. 9650 for me all the way.
    05-15-10 12:04 PM
    being that the EVO is an all touchscreen device and the fact that the darn thing is HUGE!!!! i am taking a pass on it. 9650 for me all the way.
    Yeah the touch screen thing is going to take some getting use to ,Width & Height is bigger..a tad more then new iphone to be released .

EVO & Droid in hand footage
    Video: HTC Evo 4G Offers YouTube HQ, Makes Droid Cry

Im looking forward to the extra screen size though,it will be great for live video chat ,watching movies etc.
    Pop the kick stand out live video chat away having clear view of who your communicating with
    Last edited by Slingbox; 05-15-10 at 01:13 PM.
    05-15-10 12:32 PM
    Sprint's own PR statement said the $10 is not because of 4g.
    Well when I called to ask Sprint about the reason for the extra $10.00 fee, they said it was to cover the 4G thingy, even if there is not 4G the phone first seaches for 4g, I really don't know nor do I care, I hafta believe it is for the 4G thingy cause THAT is the only difference from that phone than any other phone on the Sprint Network, if it wasn't then ALL their Smartphones would have the extra $10.00 charge.
    05-15-10 01:23 PM

Agreed!! I'm curious how the battery life will be on the EVO? BB for me.
    05-15-10 02:56 PM
    Unless you plan on jumping to a different service provider each and every time a new Android phone comes out, then you don't have to worry about the Evo being "outdated" by September.
    The last Android phone that Sprint released was the Moment back in November. And yes, when compared to OTHER Android OS phones on OTHER networks, it has been outdated up until this week, when they finally got the 2.1 OS.

Unless you can afford to pay ETF and plan to hop to a new network two or three times per year, I wouldn't worry about the next Android phone that's being cooked up right now.

Of course something is going to come along in three months that will trump the Evo--but it won't be on Sprint, so why does it even matter?
    05-15-10 03:21 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD