Just had an encounter with a sales associate that gave me reason for pause.

My contract was up with T-Mobile two weeks ago and after browsing about for online deals and other carriers I figured I'd stay with TMo and replace my Curve 8320 with the 8900. I go into the store Tuesday, Curve is $150, Bold is $200. I can't justify the additional $50 for TMo's suspect 3G, so I'm going to stick with the Curve. Last minute I think, well, Black Friday is in a few days - why not hold off and see if any deals come my way.

Sure enough, the Bold is now available this weekend for $150, a $50 discount. I go to a store and lo and BehOLD the price is now $230 - $50 discount for a price pretax of $180. Really T-Mobile? Jack up the price then offer a discount? I mean, I know it's done elsewhere and often, but really?

I went to another store - same one I was in on Tuesday. Price was $230.

"Can I answer any questions for you sir?"
    "Actually, I'm kind of confused. I came in to purchase the Bold, but you raised the price thirty dollars to drop it fifty. Not you personally, but..."
    "We didn't raise the price."
    "I was here on Tuesday and it was two-hundred. And the Black Friday deal was fifty dollars off."
    "The only Black Friday deal we have is 'buy one get one half off.' Are you looking for new service or are you an existing customer?"
    "I'm a current customer."
    "Then I can't give you the two year contract price."
    "My contract is up. If I sign a new contract I would get the contract price."
    "Those prices are only for new customers."
    "It would be a new contract. My contract is up."
    "But you aren't a new customer. It's only for new customers."
    "I'm reasonably sure that you get the new contract price when you sign a new contract."
    "Nope. The phone would be $200 for you since you're an existing customer. Plus eighteen dollars to upgrade."
    "That was the price on Tuesday, before whatever deals you were running today."
    "We aren't running any deals today."

I don't know where he got the $200 from - the only prices listed were $230 with 2 year contract or $449 without. He was not especially rude as he was misguided.

Putting aside the fact that I'm sure I get the contract price by signing a new contract and that I can order the Bold from the T-Mobile website for $150, I'm disgusted by the principle of raising prices to offer a discount. I realize the cost would be less than or equal to the cost on Tuesday (and that originally I wasn't even interested in the Bold - though the price for the Curve had also miraculously risen to $180), but the entire ordeal seemed slightly shady at best or corporate slight of hand at worst.

Either way, gives me pause to take another look at AT&T and Verizon.
    11-27-09 02:38 PM
    Are you 100% positive this was a corporate store? The price of $150 is clearly listed on T-Mobile's website and stores cannot just choose to deviate from that price. Today is a big day for regional managers to "pop in" and check things out and a store manager could easily lose their job if they did something like that.
    11-27-09 02:54 PM
    I checked the T-Mobile website and both stores I went in are listed as T-Mobile Owned Stores, not retail locations or preferred dealers. Not sure if that equates to corporate.
    11-27-09 03:24 PM
    Either way, gives me pause to take another look at AT&T and Verizon.
    You've articulately presented your story. It is indeed troubling. Doesn't seem to make any sense for consumers.

Perhaps Norris can do something to help you. He's a good guy.

But AT&T and Verizon? Puhlllllease. The Bonnie and Clydes of the cell-phone industry? Be careful of not doing anything hasty.
    11-27-09 07:44 PM
    The phone is actually still $199, but T-Mo is forcing you to buy the "starter-kit." I noticed this in-store on Wednesday. This raises the price to $229.

My question would be, is there a way around buying the starter-kit if you purchase in-store?
    11-27-09 09:02 PM
    Yes, I was just about to say, many T-Mobile stores tack on the "starter-kit" onto the cost of the phone. It's silly. I noticed this myself and I asked the sales rep if the phone could be bought MINUS the starter-kit. He told me yes.
    11-27-09 10:56 PM
    What exactly is the "starter-kit"?
    11-28-09 12:13 AM
    I believe it's a case or a skin (don't know which one), a car charger, and maybe a headset...

Just stuff like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 01:26 AM
    But AT&T and Verizon? Puhlllllease. The Bonnie and Clydes of the cell-phone industry? Be careful of not doing anything hasty.
    Neither choice would be ideal, but options are limited. I'm in Western NY so I really have 4 options. Take away T-Mobile (and Sprint out of hand) and that only leaves two. And right now I'm at my most powerful - able to jump to any carrier without financial penalty.
    11-28-09 02:03 AM
    I walked into a T-Mobile store in Santa Monica and the rep. told me it was $150 for the Bold. I would just buy it online if the store could not honor the sale price as advertised and make a compliant about the store.

11-28-09 12:32 PM
    That's pretty much what I did. I called and ordered the 9700 from a rep. It was $150 + taxes and the $18 upgrade fee. I asked her to wave the shipping charge and explained why I didn't grab it at the store. She was happy take it off and my phone should arrive next week.
    11-28-09 03:54 PM
    The phone is actually still $199, but T-Mo is forcing you to buy the "starter-kit." I noticed this in-store on Wednesday. This raises the price to $229.
    Thank Verizon for starting that trend. They've done it for years. Free phones tagged at $50 to get a case, charger, and headset.

That's strange if that's what they're doing. We have no such price tags.
    11-28-09 04:14 PM
    I am thinking of switching from verizon to tmobile and have been lurking around. I went to a corporate store the other day and was ready to make the move when no one in the store had any idea what they were doing. Not one of them attempted to sell me a phone and when asked a question all four of them were stumped! When I asked about plan pricing they told me to look at the brocure below the phones. I have five lines to transfer but I am having second thoughts now.

11-29-09 05:40 PM
    Even though i like tmobile, same thing happen to me before, so i stopped going to tmobile stores and just always call customer care and say retentions. For some reason, the operators are more knowledgeable and i get taken care of.
    11-29-09 08:00 PM
    I am thinking of switching from verizon to tmobile and have been lurking around. I went to a corporate store the other day and was ready to make the move when no one in the store had any idea what they were doing. Not one of them attempted to sell me a phone and when asked a question all four of them were stumped! When I asked about plan pricing they told me to look at the brocure below the phones. I have five lines to transfer but I am having second thoughts now.

Unfortunately, good customer service doesn't always translate to every employee of the company. While I've found some of associates in store less than stellar - for both T-Mobile and other carriers - I've always had good experiences when I've had to call customer service. And more importantly to me, I haven't had to call them very often.

11-29-09 09:12 PM

If you have questions with T-Mobile, you are more than welcome to email me or find me on Google Talk. I will help as best I can.
    11-30-09 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD