Today I noticed in the default browser the only available search engine I have is Bing. No google. No wikipedia. No anything but Bing.

Does anyone know why this happened, or how I can get google & wikipedia back, and get rid of bing?
    12-15-09 03:28 PM
    noticed it as well..
    there is a free google search app from appworld made by rim. That or quicklaunch
    Going to have to use it as an alternative for now
    12-15-09 03:34 PM
    so is this probably Verizon making a deal with Microsoft? cause that would suck.
    12-15-09 03:37 PM
    wow I just noticed that too. I remember that RIM signed a deal with Bing for search but that sucks quite frankly. I dont like bing for search.
    12-15-09 03:38 PM
    wow I just noticed that too. I remember that RIM signed a deal with Bing for search but that sucks quite frankly. I dont like bing for search.
    nor do I, and I like to search directly from wikipedia frequently
    12-15-09 03:40 PM
    I still have Google, Live Search, Wikipedia and Dictionary.com in my browser. I did noticed that Verizon pushed a Bing icon to my phone sometime on Sunday.
    12-15-09 03:40 PM
    I still have Google, Live Search, Wikipedia and Dictionary.com in my browser. I did noticed that Verizon pushed a Bing icon to my phone sometime on Sunday.
    Hmm, maybe because your on BES? That could be. I've had the Bing Icon ever since launch though...
    12-15-09 03:42 PM
    +1

I have all those options on my Browser... No bing... I don't even like Bing... As soon as Verizon pushed the Bing Icon, I hid it, lol...
    12-15-09 03:43 PM
    +1

I have all those options on my Browser... No bing... I don't even like Bing... As soon as Verizon pushed the Bing Icon, I hid it, lol...
    can you snap a pic showing all of those as an option with a screen capture app. I want to see it so I can try to find out why mine only has bing now and go back to having google but I dont want to waste my time and do you both have the os upgrade
    Last edited by theanswer3; 12-15-09 at 03:50 PM.
    12-15-09 03:45 PM
    I am down to only BING...... Highly frustrating.... used the direct search to wikipedia quite a bit. (Helped me win trivia night)
    I understand wanting to get the bing name out there, but dont take away the other options... thats just a giant middle finger to a bunch of us
    12-15-09 03:47 PM
    This frustrates the heck out of me. On the phone with VZW right now. The rep is telling me that she can choose search options from her non-Storm phone, so she's off to get a Storm to find out what the deal is. Will post results. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..
    12-15-09 03:47 PM
    I looked at my Buddy's Storm 1 yesterday and noticed the Bing icon...
    12-15-09 03:48 PM
    This frustrates the heck out of me. On the phone with VZW right now. The rep is telling me that she can choose search options from her non-Storm phone, so she's off to get a Storm to find out what the deal is. Will post results. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..
    At least VZW is getting bitched at!
    12-15-09 03:50 PM
    yeah they wont have much info as this is a beta os and not official. also I dont think this is verizon doing this I read somewhere that RIM signed an exclusive deal with ms for bing as search engine on bbs
    Last edited by theanswer3; 12-15-09 at 03:52 PM.
    12-15-09 03:50 PM
    I got the Bing icon with my new Storm2 as well and I downloaded it for the simple reason that it had voice search (which sucks, really). But it was an OPTION, not the default search engine nor the ONLY search engine short of actually navigating to google.com!
    12-15-09 03:51 PM
    idk if this is anything you would be interested in but you can search wikipedia from the Bolt browser's home screen.

Bolt Browser - Download
    12-15-09 03:57 PM
    I still have google, wikipedia, dictionary.com, and live search as options. I do have bing icon on my home page, but it came with my storm2 from day one...
    12-15-09 04:01 PM
    can you snap a pic showing all of those as an option with a screen capture app. I want to see it so I can try to find out why mine only has bing now and go back to having google but I dont want to waste my time and do you both have the os upgrade

12-15-09 04:03 PM
    I'm running the new .428 OS.

5 point 1 beat me to it.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 12-15-09 at 04:09 PM.
    12-15-09 04:04 PM
    Same for me too...what a bummer, I am NOT a bing fan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 04:04 PM

thanks. i wonder wtf happened. im gonna have to see if i can get my old stuff back
    12-15-09 04:09 PM
    Any of you on a BES? If so what search options do you have? I was considering installing 5.0.0.428 tonight.
    12-15-09 04:13 PM
    How do I do a screen shot? I have not installed the OS upgrade, still running the OS that came with the phone.
    12-15-09 04:14 PM
    Any of you on a BES? If so what search options do you have? I was considering installing 5.0.0.428 tonight.
    I am not on BES. I upgraded last night, but even before that I never noticed it searching through Bing. I use it quite a bit too, but never use the options to search through something else. I love Google. I have actually installed the Bing app because of their search by voice feature, I hate Bing though, so I have never really used it at all. Just played with it to see how it worked when I first installed it.
    12-15-09 04:25 PM
    How do I do a screen shot? I have not installed the OS upgrade, still running the OS that came with the phone.
    You first need a screen capture app, I use Quicklaunch. And then follow this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...um-post-41582/
    12-15-09 04:29 PM
906 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD