It seems that the monopolist Microsoft has paid RIM to force users to use Bing as their only search preference. My Storm 2 is now worthless to me and I'm appauled that companies that took quite a large amount of my money would screw me like this.
    12-17-09 10:36 AM
    My buddy has a Storm 1 and is in the same boat...
    12-17-09 10:39 AM
    i know you are new but try to pay a little attention to topics that are already being discussed

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/bi...engine-386198/
    12-17-09 10:39 AM
    Worthless? That's funny. Quite an exaggeration. You could still set your homepage to google if it really bothers you that much. I can't say I'm happy that their forcing once search provider in the quick search box, but it makes the phone far from useless. Bing is actually a great search provider as well and the results between the two are pretty similar.
    12-17-09 11:55 AM
    I don't like them cluttering up my home screen by adding new apps like Bing.

I have created a new folder called Trash into which I put these.

Alternately you can just hide them, but trashing them gives me more satisfaction.
    12-17-09 12:48 PM
    Remember there is a google app you can download that gives you the option to type in your search and open it in your browser.

And also the Opera Mini Beta 2 has the google search bar. And it's quick too!
    12-17-09 12:56 PM
    Worthless? That's funny. Quite an exaggeration. You could still set your homepage to google if it really bothers you that much. I can't say I'm happy that their forcing once search provider in the quick search box, but it makes the phone far from useless. Bing is actually a great search provider as well and the results between the two are pretty similar.
    I agree. I don't like having ANY search engine on me, but I do happen to like Bing. I really miss the Wiki option, but I can not go anywhere near saying my beloved Odin is even remotely useless. Quite a leap!
    12-17-09 01:05 PM
    Unpleasant surprise. Under Browser Configuration/Browser Configuration/Default Search Provider....the ONLY Option is Bing. This is heavy-handed - reminiscent of early VZN stance on Ringtones or their later VCAST policies. Better: allow default as Bing and then offer the previous as a choice. Got nothing against Bing - scores my personal Site quite high. Have used it at times. Still don't like being given an offer I cannot refuse. Wonder how this all came down and how the recent BB email Hoo-Hah related to this Bing Thing.

Doctor Neutron
    12-17-09 01:38 PM
    Actually it was not RIM, but rather Verizon in this case.
    12-17-09 03:59 PM
    Actually it was not RIM, but rather Verizon in this case.
    I'm on the phone with VZW hoping to get some answers to why my Wikipedia and Google were stripped from me. I will post back when I get something worth while.

Does anyone have an answer to why this happened while I'm on eternal hold?
    12-17-09 06:47 PM
    The tech that I spoke to said that VZW has done an update on their service books (sounds like they're trying to push another icon to our screens) and it didn't work. He said that this miscommunication between the BIS servers and the BB devices is the root cause of E-mail being down and the incomplete browser service books, which is why our search engines are incomplete.

Take that for what you will, but that is what I was told when I asked why I only had the Bing option. He had me check my E-mail and, sure enough, they were unread and had never been sent to my phone. Essentially, the people that are having a problem with their E-mails are also having this Bing trouble.
    12-17-09 07:01 PM
    BIS outage is convenient to blame i think and it gets you off the phone. especially since this started before the outage. In other words, you got fooled i think for the real answer.
    12-17-09 07:31 PM
    I seem to have just the opposite experience with this Bing "uprising". I had an icon pushed to my home screen but Google still shows as my default search engine in my browser and Bing does not even appear in the list. All of the original options are also still present, BTW. Maybe this is what was intended to happen in the first place? That would be really weird, because I would find it hard to believe that VZW could actually get it right in my podunk corner of the world.
    12-17-09 07:33 PM
    I do too, but whatever. I'm about to go to VZW and ask for some sort of compensation. My E-mail doesn't work, my internet didn't work, and now my browser doesn't fully work.

What am I paying $30 for? Spotty service? If I wanted that kind of service, I'd go to AT&T for the new Bold 9700.
    12-17-09 07:33 PM
    I seem to have just the opposite experience with this Bing "uprising". I had an icon pushed to my home screen but Google still shows as my default search engine in my browser and Bing does not even appear in the list. All of the original options are also still present, BTW. Maybe this is what was intended to happen in the first place? That would be really weird, because I would find it hard to believe that VZW could actually get it right in my podunk corner of the world.
    Everyone either has had or will have the Bing icon pushed to their home screen. This is nothing new.
    12-17-09 07:41 PM
    What I was getting at was the fact that Bing has not been put on my browser as the default and only search engine as the rest of these posts seem to indicate.
    12-17-09 07:47 PM
    Just a thought ... Even after battery pull (which some suggested triggers the Browser change) I still have the original 4 choices ... however, I actually like Bing and installed the Bing App on my Storm 1 OS 5.0.328. Perhaps my browser has been left alone because I "drank the Kool-aid" and actually installed the app?

I use Opera Mini 5 almost exclusively as a browser anyway. The BB browser is just there for OTA or proprietary web functions that require it.
    12-17-09 08:51 PM
    I do too, but whatever. I'm about to go to VZW and ask for some sort of compensation. My E-mail doesn't work, my internet didn't work, and now my browser doesn't fully work.

What am I paying $30 for? Spotty service? If I wanted that kind of service, I'd go to AT&T for the new Bold 9700.
    Good luck with that. Unless you've got a service level agreement with RIM or VZW, you'll not get a dime. Outages happen, but I'm pretty sure that RIM's BIS meets the five nines expectation (99.999% reliability) or at least comes close. In a year, I've only seen one outage that affected me. I was in bed, fast asleep for this one.

To stay on topic, I have not been afflicted with Forced Bing...yet. I don't want it to happen.
    Last edited by twester65; 12-17-09 at 09:07 PM.
    12-17-09 09:05 PM
    Just a thought ... Even after battery pull (which some suggested triggers the Browser change) I still have the original 4 choices ... however, I actually like Bing and installed the Bing App on my Storm 1 OS 5.0.328. Perhaps my browser has been left alone because I "drank the Kool-aid" and actually installed the app?
    I was wondering about this myself. I also installed the Bing app to check it out & still have the 4 search choices in my browser after many resets.
    12-18-09 09:57 AM
    Its only on Verizon Wireless has nothing to do with rim all verizon wireless devices will have bing as the search engine period cant blame rim for this one a couple of months ago verizon and microsoft signed a new agreement for this to be the case
    12-18-09 09:59 AM
    Are you talking about the icon or the search function in the browser? I still have all my old search options in my browser.
    12-18-09 10:49 AM
    I was wondering about this myself. I also installed the Bing app to check it out & still have the 4 search choices in my browser after many resets.
    Add me to that same group - I installed the Bing app a few weeks ago (then deleted, as I didn't really use it), and I still have the 4 search choices in my browser after resets and physical battery pulls.
    12-18-09 11:46 AM
    Hi guys, I work for VZW tech support and we got word a few days ago that RIM has changed the default browser and search provider on OS 5. This was not a VZW move and there is no way to change it. As of now, RIM has not announced a plan to change back to the old format or update the new format. The issue does not start until the device is updated, for instance: earlier today, I had all my search engines. I then updated to the new version of BBM and now Bing is my default search engine. If I didn't do the upgrade, I would still have my other options. I hate it too but my only suggestion would be: Change your home page on the browser to Google/Wiki/Dictionary (whichever you like) and then do direct serches. Sorry guys, I wish I could have my Google back too!
    12-18-09 12:07 PM
    Hi guys
    Hi.
    earlier today, I had all my search engines.
    Same here.
    I then updated to the new version of BBM
    Same here.
    now Bing is my default search engine.
    NOT the same here. I still have ALL of my search options after updating BBM and restarting several times. As a VZW tech support employee, do you have any idea why this is not affecting ALL users?
    Sorry guys
    You're welcome. Seriously, if you feel compelled to offer apologies, offer them for RIM's sorry excuse for a browser (man, that thing sucks and it's actually the one and only complaint I have with the device).

Anyway, thanks for posting.
    12-18-09 01:00 PM
    Hi.

Same here.

Same here.

NOT the same here. I still have ALL of my search options after updating BBM and restarting several times. As a VZW tech support employee, do you have any idea why this is not affecting ALL users?

You're welcome. Seriously, if you feel compelled to offer apologies, offer them for RIM's sorry excuse for a browser (man, that thing sucks and it's actually the one and only complaint I have with the device).

Anyway, thanks for posting.
    its always this way....not everyone gets sent the same service book at the same time. Notice how everyone doesnt get the VZW song id, Slacker etc icons at the same time. they filter in on users here and there
    12-18-09 01:16 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD