I just thought i'd give a heads-up.

Bought a brand new AT&T Q10 (sealed in box). Got a code from FreeMyBlackberry.com from the "direct Blackberry database". I video'ed the whole unlock procedure (including IMEI) as instructed. As many others have found, the "network code entered successfully" but the phone is still locked to AT&T.

The problem is the guy at FreeMyBlackberry is being a complete jerk and refusing to accept my video proof saying that they need the OS screen in the video too.

What B** S***! This requirement was never mentioned at all prior to the transaction! When I pointed this out to him he replied: "We state that a video is required but we did not provide you with the complete details as to what was required". This guy must think that his customers are all stupid!
    He actually wants me to waste another precious attempt with a code that is known to be useless to get a refund - with the video proof already staring him in the face. I'm sure if I was stupid enough to do that, he would find some other obscure requirement and disallow it again. I would be very wary of this company as dealing with them has certainly left a sour taste in my mouth!

Now i'm stuck with a useless phone (9 tries still left). FreeMyBlackberry.com insists they gave me the correct code and any other company will come up with the same one, but at least if I had a refund I could try some others and see what they come up with. I don't really trust FreeMyBlackberry.com at all after seeing the way they do business and would never deal with them again.

A couple of annoying things they said are: "This is the code that Blackberry has for your device, which are never incorrect" - Ya, well then how come they don't work???

Then they sent a cryptic message:
    "You will receive the same code from every single unlocking service. The operating system version is required for certain IMEI numbers". WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???

Sorry for the rant, but I just want to warn anyone about to repeat my disaster. The first time I unlocked an AT&T Q10 it was seamless (with the same company), but this time is proving to be incredibly frustrating. I'll never count on unlocking a phone again. I'm convinced that Blackberry has the wrong numbers in that database.
    wtj likes this.
    01-02-15 09:10 PM
    How could they survive, if they handed out refunds without proof the code was entered properly and failed?

I'm sure you're frustrated. You need to step back a moment and think.
    bungaboy and zephyr613 like this.
    01-02-15 10:06 PM
    Sometimes codes provided by the look up database do not work. TMO once sent me a code to unlock my Z10 and it didn't work for whatever reason. They had to escalate to BlackBerry to get another code. Took a few weeks and a few calls but finally got a code that worked.

Just prove you entered the code correctly and they will probably have to do the same thing and escalate to BlackBerry for a new code.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-02-15 10:13 PM
    I guess you didn't read the entire post. I video'd the entire unlock procedure including the IMEI continuously without pausing (exactly as they instructed me to) and sent it to them. It was a very clear video and obvious that the code was incorrect. The only time they added in the new wrinkle of needing the OS was after the fact when they were presented with irrefutable video proof that the code did not work. You ask how could they survive if they gave refunds? A better question is how DO they survive with such obvious disregard for their customers. (and repeat customers no less)
    wtj likes this.
    01-02-15 10:23 PM
    I read the whole post, and what was on the video wasn't clear. Do it again, you still will have 8 left. The poster above is correct, it may be an issue from BlackBerry that needs resolved. That's not the unlocker's fault.
    01-02-15 10:33 PM
    Since FreeMyBlackberry has no interest in helping me get a code that actually works, does anyone know an unlocker who will not charge me if the code they find has already been proven wrong? I'll tell them the incorrect code in advance and even send them a video of it failing so they don't feel "ripped-off". I just don't want to get the incorrect code over and over again and my faith in refunds has been destroyed by FMBB

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 11:55 PM
    They probably would have worked with you. Possibly still will...
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-03-15 08:27 AM
    Ya right. The guy's a complete ****. No way he's working with anyone!

I actually got a real nice message from James at Blackberrycodesource.com. He's a real up front, honest stand up guy and I appreciate his integrity. He also felt that having a video showing the IMEI and entry of the unlock code was all that is necessary for proof of failure and asking for the OS is just plain wrong. He seemed a bit embarrassed by FMBB's behavior. Gives the whole business a bad name.

I would highly recommend Blackberrycodesource.com if anyone wants to go this route and stay away from FreeMyBlackberry.com
    01-03-15 12:21 PM
    They probably would have worked with you. Possibly still will...
    And what makes you think that??? They were given at least 4 chances to "work with me" before I even asked for my money back. They had no interest whatsoever in working with anybody.
    And why are you so quick to stand up for their horrible customer service?
    wtj likes this.
    01-03-15 12:24 PM
    surprising ive used this website to unlock all of the BlackBerry devices i have ever had never had a single issue
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    01-03-15 12:52 PM
    surprising ive used this website to unlock all of the BlackBerry devices i have ever had never had a single issue
    I AGREE! I used them to unlock my previous Q10 from AT&T (one year ago) and everything worked fine. The difference is I never had to ask for a refund from them before. They don't seem to want to part with my hard earned cash.

Well, we'll find out once and for all. Here's another ridiculous quote from FreeMyBlackberry.com:

"You can try someone else and you will receive the same code. Please use another service and when the code returns the same, make another video including the operating system version. You will receive a refund at that point."

For FreeMyBlackberry.com's big supporters like Big Bad Wolfe, I went to a trusted cell phone repair store that I use all the time and bought a code from them through their wholesale server. Let's see what they come up with. They have a very fair refund policy. Get the e-mail, enter the code and if it doesn't work bring the phone back and as long as long as the counter has dropped, they'll refund the payment. (I should have gone to these guys first but I didn't know they provided this service)

Hopefully they will come up with a different code and it will work. I will video the entire process and send it to FMBB and see about that refund.

If the code is the same, the phone goes up for sale - brand new with 8 tries left. Shame, it's a great phone and I love it
    Last edited by amnesia; 01-03-15 at 02:15 PM. Reason: missprint
    01-03-15 02:10 PM
    I AGREE! I used them to unlock my previous Q10 from AT&T (one year ago) and everything worked fine. The difference is I never had to ask for a refund from them before. They don't seem to want to part with my hard earned cash.

Well, we'll find out once and for all. Here's another ridiculous quote from FreeMyBlackberry.com:

"You can try someone else and you will receive the same code. Please use another service and when the code returns the same, make another video including the operating system version. You will receive a refund at that point."

For FreeMyBlackberry.com's big supporters like Big Bad Wolfe, I went to a trusted cell phone repair store that I use all the time and bought a code from them through their wholesale server. Let's see what they come up with. They have a very fair refund policy. Get the e-mail, enter the code and if it doesn't work bring the phone back and as long as long as the counter has dropped, they'll refund the payment. (I should have gone to these guys first but I didn't know they provided this service)

Hopefully they will come up with a different code and it will work. I will video the entire process and send it to FMBB and see about that refund.

If the code is the same, the phone goes up for sale - brand new with 8 tries left. Shame, it's a great phone and I love it
    I'm not a big support of theirs. Never said a dang thing the like. I am a supporter of proper forum etiquette. You have been way over the top. Mellow out already.
    01-03-15 02:20 PM
    I'm not a big support of theirs. Never said a dang thing the like. I am a supporter of proper forum etiquette. You have been way over the top. Mellow out already.
    Just tellin the truth brother. I know it hurts
    wtj likes this.
    01-03-15 02:42 PM
    Just tellin the truth brother. I know it hurts
    You obviously have no idea what you're talking about or to whom.

I'm done with friendly warnings. Cease the false accusations ASAP!
    01-03-15 02:47 PM
    Where are the false accusations? He is recounting his experience with the vendor. Is that against the forum rules?

Posted via CB10
    wtj likes this.
    01-03-15 03:33 PM
    used them to unlock my curve, my storm and my z10.. no issues at all.
    01-03-15 03:39 PM
    Where are the false accusations? He is recounting his experience with the vendor. Is that against the forum rules?

Posted via CB10
    No, about me. The rest of it will work it's way out. Probably be in the Marketplace soon.
    01-03-15 03:47 PM
    Don't Try to Reason with Unreasonable People.
    zephyr613 and BigBadWulf like this.
    01-03-15 04:04 PM
    Of the several phones I have unlocked with FreeMyBerry I have never had an issue with them.

Even a favourite local service provider happily recommends them to dozens of their clients monthly with no issues.

I am really sorry to hear that this one transaction is not working well for you but I have never heard of this issue with them before.
    01-03-15 04:09 PM
    Well, I finally gave up trying to unlock my AT&T Q10, bought another one (already unlocked), and bit the bullet and used up a "try" to re-video the process to comply with FreeMyBlackberry.com's requirement to show the OS in the video for a refund. They said they are "processing the refund". I'll update when I actually get it.

I still maintain that they need to spell out ALL their requirements clearly when they send out the unlock codes to avoid "miscommunication". For guys who warn of "never letting tries go below 5", they sure are quick to waste them unnecessarily. They could also send out detailed instructions with the code (like some other unlockers) and include the length of codes for the different carriers instead of referring to their instruction web page that barely has any info on it
    wtj likes this.
    01-07-15 03:37 PM
    Oddly, I got a refund from them a day after I sent in my request with no other communication from them. We're they unable to find a code? I don't even know what happened so I'm just assuming.

Posted via CB10
    wtj likes this.
    01-16-15 09:58 AM
    Oddly, I got a refund from them a day after I sent in my request with no other communication from them. We're they unable to find a code? I don't even know what happened so I'm just assuming.

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing that they couldn't find a code for your phone in their database so they refunded your money. In my case, the code that they gave me was wrong and didn't work - hence the need for proof that it was actually entered correctly, and that the phone didn't in fact unlock.

BTW, despite the fact that they reassured me that I complied with all their requirements and they were going to issue me a refund, it's been 10 days and still nothing.
    wtj likes this.
    01-16-15 10:51 AM
    UPDATE:

Finally received my refund from FreeMyBlackberry.com- 26 days later!

Posted via CB10
    wtj likes this.
    01-31-15 11:43 AM
    BigBadWulf,
    amnesia may have expressed deep dissatisfaction with the vendor, but it's understandable.
    His phone is tied to a contract and/or useless
    while this vendor dances about whose fault it is.

When a vendor responds with disbelief that his product doesn't work and even refuses to explore the reason other than to obfuscate
    by suggesting that the customer should have provided additional information,
    his OS version,
    BEFORE ordering,
    THAT is unreasonable.

If it were me, I'd visit the FTC, BBB and any other agency that deals with possible online fraud,
    as well as the site that advertised or linked to that vendor.

I noted that YOUR reply to amnesia was certainly less than consoling.
    You assumed that the vendor had no obligation to him,
    because amnesia didn't prove that the code was entered correctly?
    (To the vendor's new requirement?)

"How could they survive..."?
    THEY SHOULDN'T

Any vendor that immediately assumes a customer is wrong,
    any vendor that adds requirements to the sale,
    any vendor that assumes a customer is fraudulent by asking for a refund for something that didn't work,
    AND COMMUNICATES THAT TO HIM,
    has no business asking for customers.

YOUR replies to amnesia were just as bad.
    You championed the vendor from your first reply and a reasonable person would be quite right in assuming
    that you have an interest in the vendor.
    I didn't see any disclaimer in your first reply, yet you expressed the vendor's pecuniary interest.

Indeed, YOU THREATENED amnesia in one of your replies,
    which makes me question crackberry's administration for allowing you to do so with the username/title "MODERATOR".

You owe amnesia and the rest of us,
    customers,
    who spend our valuable time and money
    purchasing from ads on this website,
    an apology.
    Last edited by wtj; 01-31-15 at 09:56 PM. Reason: punctuation
    01-31-15 09:53 PM
    Well, thank you WTJ!

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm a pretty reasonable (and respectable) person, and certainly intended no malice by my post. I was very taken aback by the "threatening" nature of the response which you allude to. I just wrote it off to "sketchy unlocking forum" but I was wrong to paint everyone on the forum with the same brush. In fact, all the comments that I have received have been very sincere and respectful (with the exception of the ones that you refer to).

The only recourse that dissatisfied customers have with on-line businesses is on-line feedback. It works very well for E-Bay. This forum is the perfect venue for on-line feedback for Blackberry unlocking customers.

I Thank you very much for your support.
    Amnesia

Posted via CB10
    wtj likes this.
    02-04-15 03:11 PM
28 12