What would be the best way to get out of a 2 yr contract with a little less than a year and a half to go? I would really like to get my hands on a storm when it comes out, leaving me little choice but to switch to verizon. In other words what are my options? Thanx in advance.
    10-28-08 07:25 PM
    What would be the best way to get out of a 2 yr contract with a little less than a year and a half to go? I would really like to get my hands on a storm when it comes out, leaving me little choice but to switch to verizon. In other words what are my options? Thanx in advance.
    Looks like your are in a contract for the next 18 months or pay an ETF. The only way out is prove you are in an area with no T-Mobile coverage or move overseas. Both cases require proof, meaning a signed rental lease, mortgage or utility bill with your name on it.
    10-28-08 07:54 PM
    Give current BB to spouse as a "gift".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 08:03 PM
    May the ETF and sign a new contract with verizon. It will proble be around the same price to by the storm out right

10-28-08 08:06 PM
    Have your wife show them a copy of your Death Certificate
    10-28-08 09:49 PM
    Well you asked for best options. Um Mine is to you, to pay the ETF and run.

Oh and if you do Welcome to Verizon
    10-28-08 10:00 PM
    What's ETF stand for? I'm guessing what I would pay normally for the rest of the contract?

10-28-08 10:03 PM
    Lol thought about photoshopping something already..

10-28-08 10:05 PM
    Lol thought about photoshopping something already..

Yeah - now you're thinkin'
    10-28-08 10:24 PM
    ETF - Early Termination Fee to Break contract with provider.
    10-28-08 10:25 PM
    How much is the ETF?

10-29-08 06:37 AM
    250 to cancel plus the last month you used the phone for.

10-29-08 06:53 AM
    ETF is usually $200
    10-29-08 07:42 AM

$200 if you signed before June 28, 2008.

Up to $200 if you signed the contract after June 28th of 2008. The longer your with T-Mob the lower your ETF is over the life of the contract.
    10-29-08 07:44 AM

I payed one several years ago to get out of my Verizon contract... I think it was something close to this, but that is also a per phone charge, not just per contract.
    10-29-08 07:48 AM
    I payed one several years ago to get out of my Verizon contract... I think it was something close to this, but that is also a per phone charge, not just per contract.
    T-Mob's ETF is $200.
    10-29-08 08:04 AM
    That's why I NEVER sign up for a 2 year contract!!!!

I choose the 1 year.
    10-29-08 08:13 AM
    That's why I NEVER sign up for a 2 year contract!!!!

I choose the 1 year.
    Yep, doesn't "tie" you down so long.

Less of an initial phone discount and ETF is still the same though.
    10-29-08 08:16 AM
    Bring your own phone to the party, and you don't even have to deal with a contract. You don't get any of the phone discounts, but that's ok too.
    10-29-08 08:54 AM
    go in a area where is phone is constantly roaming.....
    and talk tak talk much as possible because it will be costing the phone company money...
    and i think they will notify you about it and try to drop you from the company
    well thats what i have read before.
    i dont know for sure that it works but hey its a good try
    10-29-08 08:57 AM
    Easiest way out of a contract is like everyone else said, pay the ETF. You got the phone for a subsidized price, you signed a contract, you pay the ETF.

Most now go down $5 dollars a month.

Next time pay the "no commitment price" i.e. full retail and you will be month to month, with no contract.
    10-29-08 09:07 AM
    go in a area where is phone is constantly roaming.....
    and talk tak talk much as possible because it will be costing the phone company money...
    and i think they will notify you about it and try to drop you from the company
    well thats what i have read before.
    i dont know for sure that it works but hey its a good try
    That will work, as long as you can find a roaming area near a big city. Then you have to spend more than 50% of you phone usage time in that roaming area. Not easy to do, unless you live there.

But if you have a buddy or family member in such an area, send them your phone to use for a few months (takes a few billing periods for them to tell you, that you are talking too much on their dime).

Both options are a hassle, and one leaves you without you phone for a two or three months, which it normally takes for the phone carrier to see if this is going to be a normal pattern for you.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 10-29-08 at 09:29 AM.
    10-29-08 09:17 AM
    Get someone to take over the responsibility for your current account. Or use one of the Cell Phone Contract trading services, to see if you can find someone with the company you want to go to, that wants to come to T-Mobile.

One such service CellTrade. The trick of course is finding someone willing to take on you current plan so you walk away without paying anything. If you want money for your phone, might make it harder to make a deal with anyone.

You could post an ad on Craigslist, saying you want out of you T-mobile contract, just take over my account, X number of months left, you get X phone. Then the two of you workout the details, go to a T-Mobile corp store and get it done.
    10-29-08 09:26 AM
    I know the Storm is gonna be an awesome phone and all but just make sure you think about what youre doing before leaving T-Mo for Verizon to get one. You really dont have much of a choice as far as paying ther termination fee which will atleast be $200. On top of that youll have to sign up for ANOTHER 2 year contract with Verizon to even get the phone at a decent amount (but if you consider the termination fee youre gonna pay, the Storm is gonna cost you MUCHO) and on top of that your plan on Verizon is gonna be more expensive then what you pay with T-Mo. I know its none of my business what you do, I just thought someone should point these things out to you. If you do get the Storm though, awesome and ill expect some sweet reviews. Make sure you actually get one though before you go ahead and terminate your TMO contract
    10-29-08 10:05 AM
    Good point.. I was getting tired of tmobiles slowww internet on a blackberry, and it will prob be another 6 years before they get 3g or something better to work on a blackberry. Just the thought of a touch screen blackberry.. Will they ever make a storm that will accept a sim card? Thanx for the advice.

10-29-08 06:44 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD