Hi, we're taking a trip next month to do the loop around Lake Superior. I know a lot of it is pretty isolated so I want ability to call if there's an emergency. The main thing I'm needing is some data for checking weather, menus etc with maybe 150 minutes or so to be able to call for directions, etc.

A few years ago we went to Australia and it was MUCH more affordable to get a SIM card from a local carrier than to pay AT&T over $1.40 USD per minute. I tried reading the posts 1st but most I saw were in other areas.

We're starting in Thunder Bay, then Rossport, with perhaps a stop between it & Sault Ste Marie area. After that we have to start back south. Does anyone have input on which carrier has best coverage for this trip? After I find that out I hope to see if there are pre-paid carriers using that network like many of the GSM 3rd party choices use AT&T here. A bonus would be if you know where / how I can buy it in advance so I can just slip it into my Q10 as we pass the border.
    I do have one thought that might make choice easier. With AT&T & some others you can call or text family members who are on your plan without using up your text allotment. Do any Canadian carriers offer this? That way we could split up and still keep in contact without breaking the bank! ;-)

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 09:29 PM
    07-09-15 09:42 PM
    I did see that and at 1st glance it seemed perfect, but I don't think T-Mobile will do a single month. Plus, while the unlimited everything sounds nice we won't really need it and I hoped to find the Canadian version of AT&T's $30 Go Phone. We just need a few hundred minutes and maybe 1GB of data. Other than keeping in touch with each other I'm mostly looking for a simple, cheap plan. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 06:42 AM
    I did see that and at 1st glance it seemed perfect, but I don't think T-Mobile will do a single month.
    They got rid of contracts, actually. So yeah--if you'd want, you could do a month of service. I don't think they prorate though, so you would want to cancel within the first month.

I hope you get better answers on the Canadian aspect though
    07-12-15 02:41 PM
    Ok, this is simple, in Canada, specifically Ontario, for coverage, you want to pay Rogers. They're very expensive, but it's your best bet for signal.

For cost, go with Wind. But I can't tell you if you have coverage.

Those are your choices, paying a metric tonne for service, or MAYBE having service.

Cell carrier in Canada suck.

Work Wide and Prosper
    07-12-15 02:50 PM
    Ok, this is simple, in Canada, specifically Ontario, for coverage, you want to pay Rogers. They're very expensive, but it's your best bet for signal.

For cost, go with Wind. But I can't tell you if you have coverage.

Those are your choices, paying a metric tonne for service, or MAYBE having service.

Cell carrier in Canada suck.
    Any idea what WIND's roaming policies are like?
    07-12-15 02:52 PM
    Any idea what WIND's roaming policies are like?
    One would have to find WIND's network first, no?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 03:03 PM
    One would have to find WIND's network first, no?
    Oh, I meant how much is their data allowance when you're roaming? TMO, for example, gives as little as 50 MB , which is a pittance.
    07-12-15 03:16 PM
    Bell or Rogers - buy a Sim and a prepaid with limited data for a month. My Pay as you go plan is $100/yearn unlimited text and limited calls. I pay $15/month for limited data. Which I turn on as needed. Forget Wind. Big city coverage only and always roaming when out of cities. I like the T-Mobile suggestion - I have a pau as you go card on T-Mobile that I use when in the US. With th usage cost now the same in USA and Canada I think the best solution. It will roam on Bell or Rogers in Ontario

DHS
    07-12-15 03:55 PM
    Thanks dhs! Do you happen to know which prepaid companies use T-Mobile? All of the ones I'm aware of use either AT&T or sprint.

Or does T-Mobile have their own like AT&T go phone? That'd likely have the best chance of free roaming and calling to/from Canada.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 05:32 PM
    Roam Mobility is likely what you're looking for. They use t-mobile.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    08-14-15 08:58 PM
    Dont get wind, coverage not great! I suggest Telus. You can buy prepaid cards when you cross the border as well as a sim card at telus. Smallest is $10 prepaid code. Sim card $10 You can even buy a prepaid phone at any Cdn walmart, some still have Q5's in stock and usually come with $20 activation credit and a sim card or any telus location but probably wont have the free $20. no other fees (thru Telus). Can sell the phone when you get home or keep it! Other androidables available as well! Another option is to look for a Store called the Great Canadian Superstore as they have cheap prepaid phones as well. Most cell phone stores here that sell every provider are contract only. I find Bell and Rogers the most expensive of them all but they also have the largest networks, telus isnt far behind!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    08-14-15 09:18 PM
    Well, WIND is only for the city areas (looking at their coverage map can tell you where they cover and don't cover), telling people not to go with them is not right. What if they did cover that or those areas?

WIND Mobile | Coverage
    08-14-15 09:36 PM
    Well, WIND is only for the city areas (looking at their coverage map can tell you where they cover and don't cover), telling people not to go with them is not right. What if they did cover that or those areas?

WIND Mobile | Coverage
    I can guarantee you Wind does not have coverage around Lake Superior. Wind subscribers are in roaming mode there. As such they need to consult the rates.

OP for a month just get a Telus prepaid Sim and add the $15 blackberry social add-on to it with a $20 prepaid voucher.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 10:12 AM
    I can guarantee you Wind does not have coverage around Lake Superior. Wind subscribers are in roaming mode there. As such they need to consult the rates.

OP for a month just get a Telus prepaid Sim and add the $15 blackberry social add-on to it with a $20 prepaid voucher.

Posted via CB10
    Check Public Mobile....(by Telus) ... You might like it

Good luck

11-21-17 03:22 PM
    Hi, we're taking a trip next month to do the loop around Lake Superior. I know a lot of it is pretty isolated so I want ability to call if there's an emergency. The main thing I'm needing is some data for checking weather, menus etc with maybe 150 minutes or so to be able to call for directions, etc.

A few years ago we went to Australia and it was MUCH more affordable to get a SIM card from a local carrier than to pay AT&T over $1.40 USD per minute. I tried reading the posts 1st but most I saw were in other areas.

We're starting in Thunder Bay, then Rossport, with perhaps a stop between it & Sault Ste Marie area. After that we have to start back south. Does anyone have input on which carrier has best coverage for this trip? After I find that out I hope to see if there are pre-paid carriers using that network like many of the GSM 3rd party choices use AT&T here. A bonus would be if you know where / how I can buy it in advance so I can just slip it into my Q10 as we pass the border.
    I do have one thought that might make choice easier. With AT&T & some others you can call or text family members who are on your plan without using up your text allotment. Do any Canadian carriers offer this? That way we could split up and still keep in contact without breaking the bank! ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Try Public Mobile (By Telus)

Sim cards can be purchased at walmart for $10+tax.... Activate on line....

I dont work for them ... But i just moved 3 accounts to them.

Good luck.
    11-21-17 03:24 PM