Hello!
    Please excuse me starting a new thread on this, if it has arisen before.

I'll come straight to gist of it.

I will be in the USA from end of August until early October (brother's wedding + visiting old friends and family). In this time I'd like to use my German Blackberry Bold 9900 for keeping contact back home to Germany but also to my family in the states.

Is there something like a prepaid plan available in the USA (like the German Vodafone CallYa, if anybody should know that)?
    I'd like to do some country wide calls and get some MB for social networking and emailing. Blackberry services should of course also be included. If BB services is a problem I could also bring my HP Pre 3...

Anyway as far as I know in the US you have to be careful which carrier to choose, as European Quadband/GSM phones might not work in all networks, right?

I hope you guys can help me out and shed some light on this. If anybody is in the same situation as me and needs help on plans for Germany, give me a holler and I'll be right thre helping out!

Thanks in advance,

-pac
    07-18-12 03:03 AM
    my phone blackberry 9900 restar why
    07-18-12 04:08 AM
    I believe the only prepaid carrier that will work with your GSM sim based phone would be simple mobile. However I do not know if the bands are compatible for 4g/3g service. Other services such as boost and virgin require you to have their own CDMA phone. Service costs $50 for 2g or $60 for service if you have 4g/3g.

Also their coverage is not bad, exactly the same as Tmobile USA
    07-19-12 08:30 PM
    Also make sure your berry is unlocked too
    07-19-12 08:31 PM
    Hello and thank you a lot for your answer.

Would what you have described be this?
    SIMPLE Mobile | Unlimited BlackBerry Plans
    I guess so, right? I'd simply buy me a 50 $ plan. I don't see any info though about how long I'd have to be a customer. I wouldn't want to pay for 2 years, 50 $ a month...

-pac
    07-20-12 04:34 AM
    SIMPLE Mobile will work great for your situation! Just make sure they have coverage in the areas you'll be in most frequently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-12 04:38 AM
    Hehe, thanks!
    Well, looks like I'll be travelling all over the place and spend a lot of time in National Parks where I don't have any reception anyway. But to me it'd be worth 50 bucks to let my folks know I'm ok whenever I have the means to write email/facebook etc.

The only grime is that I am not 100% sure if I can cancel this SIMPLE Mobile thing after about 1 month. I don't want to be stuck in a 2-year plan.

-pac
    07-20-12 06:15 AM
    Hehe, thanks!
    Well, looks like I'll be travelling all over the place and spend a lot of time in National Parks where I don't have any reception anyway. But to me it'd be worth 50 bucks to let my folks know I'm ok whenever I have the means to write email/facebook etc.

The only grime is that I am not 100% sure if I can cancel this SIMPLE Mobile thing after about 1 month. I don't want to be stuck in a 2-year plan.

-pac
    It is month to month so you'll be able to cancel.
    07-20-12 03:12 PM
    Thank you very much.
    I will then use the $50 plan mentioned before and linked for convenience here again:
    SIMPLE Mobile | Unlimited BlackBerry Plans
    Any final objections?
    -pac

EDIT: I hope there will be no hassle taking the device over to the US and then replace my old SIM with the new SIMPLE SIM....
    Last edited by pacman84; 07-24-12 at 05:53 AM.
    07-24-12 05:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD