We Canadians are getting hosed on international data roaming rates.

This past weekend I made a really stupid mistake and got caught in the fraudelent web that cellular service providers have created. I made a weekend trip to Mexico and accidently left my BB Storm on inside my travel bag. I honestly didn't even use the phone the entire holiday but the fact that my radio was on meant that I was unknowingly recieving emails. I arrive back home in Canada to discover that I had used 4MB of data usage while the phone sat in the bottom of my bag. 4MB I thought - no big deal right?

Think again. Bell Canada charges international data rates at $52/MB for Mexico!! I am not aware of any global data plan offered by Canadian carriers at this time either. There is no way to get a discounted rate even if you plan ahead!! Most American carriers offer rates in the $10/MB range for international use. Bell is over 5x as expensive!!

I learned a valuable lesson. Don't even bother travelling with your blackberry. They advertise the phones like they are some sort of godsent for the business traveller but who actually uses this service at $52/MB? Maybe Jim Balsille himself but thats about it.

I also learned that once again the Canadian consumer is getting hosed in the mobile market. Bell customer care tells me that they will never possibly match the rates of US international roaming rates because Canada simply doesn't have the bargaining power. What a load of boloney. Bottomline is that they have no interest in fighting for lower prices because they can simply blame it on the local Mexican provider. Bell is happy to let the $$$ flow in and point the finger at someone else.

Bell also tells me that they make no profit by charging for international data usage. They must really take me as a moron!

It is about time that the consumer stands up and makes a racket about this scheme.
    Last edited by macattack1; 11-24-09 at 11:33 AM.
    11-23-09 07:21 PM
    Ouch! Sorry you got hosed, but thanks for posting this. I'll be sure to remember next time I go to Mexico. For that matter, I'm wondering what Sprint will charge me if I go to Canada!
    11-23-09 07:38 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried calling Bell? Maybe you can have them waive, or at least reduce the charge, as you made a genuine mistake? This works down here lol...

Try to make your case by invoking your loyalty to the company, or that you always pay on time, or maybe that you cannot afford this? I know this may sound funny, but all of the above work with AT&T.
    11-23-09 09:22 PM
    Make sure you turn "data off when roaming" to avoid an overcharge for data. This way you can still use the features of the phone but not have the data charges. The same thing happened to my wife, and bell erased the charges and made it clear it was a one time deal.
    11-23-09 10:42 PM
    Wow, that is crazy. I'm on Telus, but I'm sure the roaming rates are similar. On a related note, the EU set roaming rates at $2/MB. We need some cross border rates like that in North America!
    11-23-09 11:24 PM
    Call Bell, they should remove that charge... I had a similar problem with Rogers for a $90 roaming charge for a few emails in NY. They removed the charge.
    11-24-09 12:51 AM
    Call Bell, they should remove that charge... I had a similar problem with Rogers for a $90 roaming charge for a few emails in NY. They removed the charge.
    I agree here, if you never used your phone

They should reverse the charges, I got nailed in Niagara Falls with Roaming for 5 days, I was using my phone lots but was pinging off across the falls

I spoke with bell and said I didn't realize the phone was doing that and they reversed the charges, and told me to set it up for HOME ONLY when I travel near the boarders.

you can do the same with your storm then when you leave the country it just wont connect
    11-24-09 12:59 AM
    Ok so since we get hosed with roaming data, I'm trying to figure out how to best set up my phone when going to the US. I know turning off Data would be ideal but I need to have my BBM working. So can I just erase my email account off my phone and log out of facebook? Would that help to prevent any data usage besides BBM? Thanks.
    11-24-09 01:53 AM
    Yes I have phoned Bell multiple times hoping to speak to a reasonable person on the other end. No luck at this point. Every operator (and their supervisor) has told me that they cannot waive the cost because these roaming charges are a legitimate cost that the Mexican service provider is charging them. $52/MB IS A LEGITIMATE COST!!! I asked if we could negotiate this fee and was told by Bell there is no negotiation because this $52 is their cost also. DO THEY THINK I AM AN *****?

I am not aware of any data package that Canadians can purchase from mobile providers to reduce data rates in Mexico. All Candian providers seem quite content to ding us at this premium rate. When we complain they say that it is out of their control. Customers need to speak out to stop this insanity!! Do they think we are sheep?

P.S - my phone sat in the bottom of my bag. I do have facebook app installed and also Weathereye so between this and my incoming email I somehow racked up 4MB of usage. Here is food for thought: if you leave your incoming data in the "on" position while travelling how can you prove or disprove the usage that shows up on your bill. I am being told that I used 4MB but how can I verify this. You give these mobile providers a blank check by leaving your phones on.
    11-24-09 10:17 AM
    Rogers as a plan where for $10 a month its $10/MB for data when abroad.
    11-24-09 10:34 AM
    Matt - you better double check that its $10/MB for Mexico also. I have seen this plan before and believe it covers just North America - just the US basically and excludes Mexico. Better double check bro!
    11-24-09 10:46 AM
    Matt - you better double check that its $10/MB for Mexico also. I have seen this plan before and believe it covers just North America - just the US basically and excludes Mexico. Better double check bro!
    Oh, you are correct I believe. But they should still refund you. Initially Rogers would only cover half of my $90, but then I called back and explained how it was an accident, etc. and they removed the full charge.
    11-24-09 02:45 PM
    Bell won't budge on the charges. I have called multiple times now. I think they have redflagged my account. Customer care personnel are starting to just leave me on hold. They told me if the roaming charges were in the U.S they might be able to reduce the rate because they can offer promotional deals there but in Mexico, no cigar. Looks like I will be swallowing this mistake.
    11-24-09 02:55 PM
    Sorry for your bad luck

This is the reason why I chose a BB from Verizon. After much research big red is the only company I could find that offered a decent Canada/US option. All my minutes are included in my package, although the cost of the global data pkg is high ($65 US) it is worth it. SMS would be costly cross border but I don't use it. As a Professional Driver who is back and forth it works great for me.

The Canadian cell companies are a complete rip-off IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-09 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD