It is probably known knowledge about this with all the Bell reps out there. Bell has been diligently working on their new goal, have HSPA Coverage out via 900/1800 Frequency by 2010 (Olympic Games). TWO reasons:
    A: When all the tourists come to Vancouver and Canada for the Olympic games, they will mostly see BELL MOBILITY on their handsets, rather then Rogers.
    B: Highly increased speeds on World Edition Handsets (ie BB STORM) for data via the new HSPA.

I found this out not long ago, and was rather estatic. I plan to have a Storm by then from my current Pearl to take advantage of this.

A good way to look at how better speed will be, with Rogers, all their handsets are using their HSPA (3.5G) towers for the Bold, iPhone, Vision phones and then some. All for calls and data. Where Bell Mobility will be using the HSPA exclusively for the Data connection, and using the EV-DO Cdma signal for the voice. Alot less people have World edition phones on Bell then Rogers so less people on the towers, and better connection (In theory...)

But still neato news that Bell is doing this. And not only Bell Mobility Clients will take advantage of this, Telus is also launching with this, probably bunking off Bell's Towers.
    03-13-09 02:34 AM
    It is a joint effort between Bell and Telus to get this network up. I'm also very excited about the new 4G (as they call it) network. Which should have 2 phones available Q3 on Bell. They way I understood it, only new phones from Bell would be able to take advantage of the new network. So I don't know if the current Storm would get any improvement from this.
    03-13-09 10:25 PM
    I friggin hope the 9530 will work. We certainly pay enough for both the phone and the service. The storm is an antenna farm so let's not further gouge your (trapped) customers Bell!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 05:18 PM
    9530 won't be able to use the HSPA network, it's configured for different frequencies. Storm2, though, should be compatible.
    05-07-09 08:47 PM
    9530 won't be able to use the HSPA network, it's configured for different frequencies. Storm2, though, should be compatible.
    So you mean my phone won't use hspa?

09-07-09 05:36 AM
    correct info plus there pushing this so they can migrate gsm into the cdma netowrk... soon the iphone will be on bell and rogers wont know what to do
    09-12-09 06:11 PM
    I thought the iPhone was going to be made LTE for Verizon and Bell/Telus are doing a middle step with HSPA so they wont get the iPhone.

I could be wrong since I can't site a source.
    09-13-09 05:03 PM
    I thought the iPhone was going to be made LTE for Verizon and Bell/Telus are doing a middle step with HSPA so they wont get the iPhone.

I could be wrong since I can't site a source.
    i havent heard any news like that as of yet but you never know companies change there mind ever two minutes
    09-13-09 06:15 PM
    Ok let's get things straight here!
    The current phones on Bell/Telus that have HSPA will NOT work on the Bellus HSPA network. The Tour, Storm, and TP2 all pick up HSPA signals, but only at 2100 Mhz. This frequency is not currently used for cell phones in Canada. The reason it's in these phones is for roaming if you travel to Europe. The new Bellus HSPA network will operate on the frequencies 850 Mhz and 1900 Mhz. Therefore, any phone that has these frequencies (in UMTS/HSPA) will theoretically work.
    Bellus is NOT building a GSM network, it is only HSPA (no 2G GSM, EDGE, GPRS etc).
    HSPA will be used for voice AND data. There won't be any hybrid EVDO/HSPA phones, because there would be a very limited market for them.
    I'm not sure if Bell will sell the iPhone, but you could get one unlocked and pop in a Bell sim card as long as Bell allows unlocked handsets (most HSPA carriers do).
    Just thought I'd help out b/c it seems a lot of people in this thread are confused about the new network.
    09-16-09 10:31 PM
    Telus and Bell to go GSM in 2010 | Wirelessnorth.ca

thanks for playing, besides the point there has been reports in bell that they are adjusting to gsm...
    09-16-09 11:05 PM
    Telus and Bell to go GSM in 2010 | Wirelessnorth.ca

thanks for playing, besides the point there has been reports in bell that they are adjusting to gsm...
    Thanks for the information.
    09-17-09 06:10 AM

Well that is partially true... HSPA is an evolution of GSM technology, and Bell is launching HSPA, but they're not launching anything else (no edge, no gprs, no 2G gsm at all). The new network will be HSPA only! Of course their CDMA and EVDO networks will remain for probably several years.
    09-17-09 09:41 AM
    Yes that is true ^ because 1XEV is faster then edge .. Plus we won't need 2g once 4g is out into place so we will be ahead of them now once I find the news article again .. Stating the second gen iphone will be coming to bell ill post it up

09-17-09 10:00 AM
    To add all of bells phones right now our 3g technically 3.5g were Rogers only has 6 phones that are 3g

09-17-09 10:01 AM
    so with the new HSPA network, will an unlocked bold 9000 or the onyx 9700 work by popping in the bell simcard?
    09-17-09 11:23 AM
    No it won't work if it is a Rogers or another service provider as bell puts serial numbers on the account and if it wasn't there's it won't work

09-18-09 09:40 AM
    aren't the Bell and Telus HSPA networks using UMTS band 4 (aka 1700mhz) ?
    09-18-09 09:55 AM
    aren't the Bell and Telus HSPA networks using UMTS band 4 (aka 1700mhz) ?
    No, they are using UMTS bands II and V. (850/1900 Mhz)
    09-18-09 12:13 PM
    None of the current 3G devices on Bell will be able to run on the new HSPA+ network. Although, there are several HSPA devices currently listed in Bell's inventory system, some devices listed: BlackBerry Bold 9700, Nokia N97 and LG Xenon. The BlackBerry Storm 9550 is also listed but not as an HSPA device.

09-27-09 12:05 PM
    None of the current 3G devices on Bell will be able to run on the new HSPA+ network. Although, there are several HSPA devices currently listed in Bell's inventory system, some devices listed: BlackBerry Bold 9700, Nokia N97 and LG Xenon. The BlackBerry Storm 9550 is also listed but not as an HSPA device.

Source or pics please we have no info of that plus we haven't had a nokia device for over 2 years they went Rogers only...
    Second apparently from bell themselfs tours and pre will be able to go on the new network

09-28-09 10:06 AM
    Source or pics please we have no info of that plus we haven't had a nokia device for over 2 years they went Rogers only...
    Second apparently from bell themselfs tours and pre will be able to go on the new network

Ok seriously... The current pre available from Bell will not work on the new HSPA network... it has CDMA and EVDO radios only. (That means it will not pick up an HSPA signal!!!) If Palm releases a Pre with HSPA at 850/1900Mhz then it will likely work on Bell HSPA.
    I can't be 100% sure about the Tour, I know from looking at the specs that it only does 2100Mhz HSPA (Belus will be using 850 and 1900 Mhz) so it seems to me it won't work with Bell's HSPA network. I know there has been talk on HoFo that the North American HSPA frequencies are "dormant" in the Tour, but I'm not believing that sort of thing. Plus there's this leaked internal Telus document saying that none of their current HSPA handsets are compatible with the new network. The Bell version of the Tour is the same as Telus', and Bell and Telus share a network, so from this one can assume that the Bell Tour will not be compatible on the new HSPA network.
    **Will post the link next reply**
    09-28-09 12:23 PM
    09-28-09 12:24 PM

Did you not understand my post above?
    None of the current devices on the Bell network, which includes the: BlackBerry Tour and Palm Pre, will be able to ultilize the new HSPA+ network.
    I agree with you, Nokia hasn't manufactured any CDMA devices for Bell in recent years, but the new network will definitely provide Bell clients a greater selection of devices. I'll post some new screenshots within a few days.
    09-28-09 02:28 PM
    Just had a meeting with Bell today to discuss their roll our of hspa. They are close to turning on the switch. -read the blogs.
    Anyway, both reps were sporting BlackBerry bold 9000's, sadly not the 9700's.

10-05-09 08:07 PM
    Just had a meeting with Bell today to discuss their roll our of hspa. They are close to turning on the switch. -read the blogs.
    Anyway, both reps were sporting BlackBerry bold 9000's, sadly not the 9700's.

what!?! how do they have the bold when the hspa network hasnt even been launched to test? we just got stuff today on it, about 4 things worth of info..?
    10-05-09 10:38 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD