I recently signed up through Telus and went with their $55/month promo that includes 150 MB of data. I purchased a new Z10 from them.

I'm a light user. I only use data when I go out and it's not that often. When I do use it, it's purely almost for surfing websites, reading articles, news, and of course crackberry forums.

I have not yet used it to stream video or even voice, nor do I use BBM. Yet, already my Telus usage shows that I've consumed 80 MB of data and this is only after a week of light web site browsing and little else. This is very odd because my old Android phone would usually only use between 20 to 35 MB of data through 3G for the month. So I'm not sure why data consumption is so much heavier now. My guess is that the HUB is constantly trying to update/refresh. If that is the case, is there anyway to disable the HUB? Or does 4G/LTE naturally chew through more data?

Please enlighten me....
    02-19-13 06:14 PM
    Its a new phone. Are you sure you haven't been testing it out more? With the increased speed you might be surfing more in the same amount of time.

James
    02-19-13 06:27 PM
    Its a new phone. Are you sure you haven't been testing it out more? With the increased speed you might be surfing more in the same amount of time.

James
    Hi James,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I could be surfing more, but even with surfing websites more often it should not consume so much more data. I can understand if I'm streaming voice or video a little bit more. But loading a few extra websites and text should barely have a difference.
    02-19-13 06:31 PM
    actually yeah... most website especially the desktop versions are very data rich. a website can easily bring in a 1MB or 2MB... so the 150 MB will be busted in no time. with the BB10 browser being so fast, you don't realize how a website consumes. with only 150MB, the only thing you should use is email only. i wouldn't use the browser.
    02-19-13 06:40 PM
    I agree. I have a hard time staying under my 500 mb with my 9810 (have a PlayBook as well). I'm thinking that I will need closer to 2gb just to be close to what I will use when I switch to the Z10. I might need more then that.

James
    02-19-13 06:49 PM
    Wow, their current plans really suck for data. 150MB!!!! That's extremely low. I was lucky enough to get a promo last year for 6b data for $55. Not trying to brag OP, just showing how much they've changed in the last 18 months. With the Z10 not having the compression that blackberry was famous for, 1GB would be a decent amount of data for an entire month with regular use.
    meganVee likes this.
    02-19-13 09:19 PM
    Is it too late for you to change your plan? 150mb is NOTHING!
    02-20-13 12:48 PM
    i use 150MB in 1 day!
    02-20-13 05:05 PM
    Yes, 150mb really is nothing when it comes to having a smart phone.

I also hooked the 6gb promo and even though with my 9810 I barely reached 1gb I would never trade that 6gb for anything.
    I have only had my Zed10 for 5 days so hard to tell what I will burn through yet.

My husband has an iphone and only 1gb of data and he is constantly going over... He definitely needs to give them a call.
    02-22-13 08:37 PM
    Yes, 150mb really is nothing when it comes to having a smart phone.

I also hooked the 6gb promo and even though with my 9810 I barely reached 1gb I would never trade that 6gb for anything.
    I have only had my Zed10 for 5 days so hard to tell what I will burn through yet.

My husband has an iphone and only 1gb of data and he is constantly going over... He definitely needs to give them a call.
    I was talking to Loyalty and retention today and I can keep my 6b $55 plan if I switch to the Z10, which is nice. Still not sure if I'm going to or not.

That 6gb deal is nowhere to be seen on the website so I doubt they will give it to anybody now. Won't hurt to try though. I've def learned from L&R that kindness goes further than anger and threats.
    02-22-13 08:44 PM
    It is true. If you are nice they are more willing to help you.

I worked in the same industry just not for Telus but for a competitor and to be honest if you were nice to us it got you a he!! of a lot further then if you were an a$s. I am very happy with Telus, even tho there was a lack of correspondence when it came to my Zed10 getting shipped out.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10!!!
    02-23-13 02:34 AM
    My Telus data plan is 2G for $35/month and I have never gone over it.

From my Z10
    06-05-13 05:33 PM
    I just upped my data plan from 1 GB to the 6 GB for an extra $10 a month. I was going over the past couple of month and it was costing me easily more than the $10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Hup55; 06-08-13 at 06:45 PM.
    06-06-13 09:46 AM
    I pay 66/month , and get 5GB, and I consume every last drop of that in a month, With my 9900 I barely went over 180mb , now yes I do stream some podcasts and use BBM and browse the internet, still I was thinking of trying to upgrade for 6-8GB
    09-05-13 05:52 PM