Figured I might ask the CB community here regarding the mass RIM outage we've all experieced the past day or so. I was at dinner last night with my brother who is with T-Mobile while I'm with AT&T and we both have Bold 9700's. He told me he phoned T-Mobile CS yesterday in regards to the outage and how much it has inconvenienced him and everyone else who's under his family plan with Blackberry devices. I know that this is not the carrier's fault but with RIM directly but somehow, the T-Mobile CS rep was able to grant him a courtesy $25 dollar credit towards his account for this issue as a show of good faith . Thinking how can that be possible, I just called my AT&T CS dept, complained about RIM's outages and the problems it caused but they wouldn't budge for me and said nothing they can do.

Has anyone else tried calling in their carrier's CS dept to see if any reimbursements or credits were given for this issue?

Thanks guys. Merry Xmas!
    12-24-09 11:55 AM
    honestly being one on the side of tech support and cst care and being able to offer or provide credits for verizon, i wouldnt be willing to provide a $25 credit for reimbursment. normally i apologize the issue has occured and if they really feel they deserve a credit i make it easy. the cost of the data service is $30, theres normally 30 days in the month, i credit them based on how many days they were effected. in this case most were effected 24 hours, some 48, i offer the credit for $2. normally they become frusterated and say its worth more than that. in my mind unfortunetly the math is rite and theres not much more i can do. much like your case where there is no credit offered, i feel the $2 should be apperciated. anyone using bis and bes was effected. including myself. I have never been one to expect credits or reimbursments for service outages. it kinda is what it is.
    12-24-09 12:09 PM
    I really don't think anyone deserves more than a few dollars credit like stated above, especially from the carrier. Sometimes you will get a sympathetic CSR or one having a good day, but don't expect it to happen to everyone. If your BIS is down, the only way I see it deserves some kind of credit is if it affected your business or professional life, in which case you should have more options for internet access than a phone - at least at one point in the day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 12:17 PM
    Im not going to complain about something I was without of for one day worth $1 that wasnt their fault. Now if it was the carriers fault, thats on thing. But Im not going to complain to VZW when its out of their control.
    12-24-09 12:19 PM
    honestly being one on the side of tech support and cst care and being able to offer or provide credits for verizon, i wouldnt be willing to provide a $25 credit for reimbursment. normally i apologize the issue has occured and if they really feel they deserve a credit i make it easy. the cost of the data service is $30, theres normally 30 days in the month, i credit them based on how many days they were effected. in this case most were effected 24 hours, some 48, i offer the credit for $2. normally they become frusterated and say its worth more than that. in my mind unfortunetly the math is rite and theres not much more i can do. much like your case where there is no credit offered, i feel the $2 should be apperciated. anyone using bis and bes was effected. including myself. I have never been one to expect credits or reimbursments for service outages. it kinda is what it is.
    From reading your reply, I do agree on a math point of view but as a customer, that formulaic number you derived from is not nearly what the loss of business etc that could have accumulated from X number of days without access.

Guess my brother found a very generous CS rep willing to make the situation better. Why couldnt I be this lucky!? lol
    12-24-09 12:21 PM
    I'd posted this in another thread, but it's as applicable here:

@ about 6pm EST on 12/22 I called VZW ccare. I was just looking for any updates in notes or on the master ticket indicating when RIM thought they might have the disruption fully resolved. Got to chatting with the ccare rep (who was as friendly as they all are... #1 in customer service for a good reason ), when out of the blue, and without my even *mentioning* it, she told me she was going to issue a $25 goodwill credit to my account. Lo and behold, early on 12/23 I got an automated email and SMS from VZW advising that a $25 credit had been applied to my balance due on 12/30/09.

I had no legitimate claim for reimbursement, IMO. VWZ and RIM provide very reliable service when viewed over the long term. The 12/17 and 12/22 disruptions were rarities. If I *did* have a claim, the dollar value to me would be in the neighborhood of a $1.50 or so based on my data plan (BES) and hours disrupted. While $25 is a fraction of my monthly/yearly spend with VZW, the credit was extremely generous and way above and beyond my expectations (I had no intention of seeking any credit.. isht happens.)

So as to "complaining" to your carrier's customer service department: that's going to likely get you no where. Who likes to be complained to, especially on Christmas Eve? I'm sure credit policies vary from carrier to carrier, but if ccare reps are empowered to issue discretionary credits that speaks well about the confidence VZ has in their employees.

In any event, it was a nice, unexpected gift, considering that (at least in VZW's contracts, there are no warranties as to RIM's or VZW's uptime... they're both as-is.) Merry Christmas.
    12-24-09 12:22 PM
    what people fail to realize is that the more customers they give credits to the more it will ultimately cost everyone- the expect their profit to be the same so they will just raise rates- Deal with the fact that sometime crap happens and stop wasting your time by calling and asking for credits
    12-24-09 12:25 PM
    what people fail to realize is that the more customers they give credits to the more it will ultimately cost everyone- the expect their profit to be the same so they will just raise rates- Deal with the fact that sometime crap happens and stop wasting your time by calling and asking for credits
    I agree. If you'd read my post that's what I said.
    12-24-09 12:29 PM
    Doesn't it say on the disclaimer when accessing the web that RIM is not responsible or liable for business stuff? Cuz if they weren't wouldn't everyone be sueing them?

12-24-09 12:35 PM
    It was a waste of time for me but hey I thought I'd give it a shot with nothing to lose.

And please, everyone else is taking a piece of the pie so why can't I take mines? Chill out dude it was just a question.
    12-24-09 12:40 PM
    I agree. If you'd read my post that's what I said.
    I re read your quote and unless I am missing something you made no mention of credits ultimately costing the customers in the end-
    12-24-09 12:41 PM
    I've been with Sprint 6+ years. I always pay on time and I have never (not once) called to complain about anything.
    I have had a BB for 6 months. Numerous outages.
    I called to see of I could somehow ditch the BB and get something else.
    I didn't ask for a credit but got $25 taken off my bill. Plus I got a he11 of deal going forward.
    I think a lot depends on whether a customer is high maintenance or not. CS said some people call frequently asking for compensation.
    I simply can't have email going down, I run a small business, it's totally unacceptable.
    12-24-09 12:43 PM
    Will this work if you email ATT?
    12-24-09 01:07 PM
    I got a reimbursement from at&t

12-24-09 01:09 PM
    I re read your quote and unless I am missing something you made no mention of credits ultimately costing the customers in the end-
    I was referring more specifically to your statement about calling for a credit being a waste of time, not about the potential cost of credits being passed on.
    12-24-09 01:12 PM
    I got a reimbursement from at&t

How much did you get? And what did you say exactly?
    12-24-09 01:16 PM
    Will this work if you email ATT?
    as long as there is no outage
    12-24-09 01:17 PM
    Granted an outage during a major event would be tragic. There are workarounds on those ocassion when there is an outage. Laptops. PC"s.Handheld devices such as the iPod Touvh. Unless there is a prolonged outage, it is a little unseemly, IMO, to be asking for credits. If you were late finishing a project at work, should your employer ask to dock your pay to compensate them for poor productivity?
    12-24-09 01:40 PM
    If an outage could be proven to cause a major issue, then the carrier needs to make it good.
    12-24-09 01:42 PM
    I simply can't have email going down, I run a small business, it's totally unacceptable.
    Much like RIM is being beaten up for it, there's no excuse for you not to have a backup plan in place. You run a business and your only access to your email is a BB?

12-24-09 02:17 PM
    Bravo!!! I totally agree!!!
    12-24-09 02:19 PM
    only time i was ever reimbursed was when my phone did not work at my house. It was specifically my immediate area around my house and a cell tower was down so i couldnt use my service for a month at my home so i called customer service and was given credit for the month. I did not call asking for a reimbursement though and was told by the verizon rep that i was very understanding and nice about the issue. not sure if that played a factor or nopt
    12-24-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD