Well this morning I pull out my BB bold out of it's holster and it's HOT!!! not hot enough to burn, but very abnormally hot. A short while passes by and then I go from having a full charge to nothing. I get my phone buzzing to notify me of a low battery, and then poof it's dead. Even after I plug it into the computer via USB cable nothing, when I get home I put it on the charging dock and still nothing. I get as far as 1 block out of 5 charge, but no further.

So I decide to call Rogers right away and advise them of the problem, and thankfully there were absolutely no hassles what so ever. The agent listened to my issues and did seem to be a bit concerned about the hot battery while in my holster. He said it was possible if it was in the charging bay, but worrisome while in my holster.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had similar issues? I got my phone on the first day it came out, so I'm thinking that there might have been some hardware issues that existed with the earlier models.

Kudos to Rogers on this one as I was worried about a bit of a run around, now I just have to live with my old BB 7100 for a couple days until the new bold arrives.
    02-05-09 09:08 PM
    A friend of mine had a similar issue. Somehow, it got hot enough that it affected the SIM card. Rogers was great in sending to him a replacement. I think his was also one of the very first Bolds.

As a precaution, always remember to back up your BBs every so often
    02-05-09 09:18 PM
    did robbers tell you to mail the faulty unit to back to them...for liability issues?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 02:22 AM
    For all warranty replacements you must mail back the defective unit or you will be charged Original price (for bold i think it's around 500-600) on your bill.
    02-06-09 02:28 AM
    tht is what i thought

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 02:34 AM
    My bold gets abnormally hot too sometimes. I just got mine a little over a month ago. Nothing too alarming, but hot enough for me to notice somethings up. Its turned off on me a couple times, and when I turn it back on, my home screen and settings have returned to default. I do a battery pull and usually get a sequence of error messages. After another battery pull or two, everything goes back to normal. I havent figured it out yet, but im not too worried as I have insurance, and know how it goes with cell phones, providers, and replacing faulty equipment. If I dont replace a smart phone at least once a year, its been a slow year. Hopefully its nothing too major though.
    02-06-09 02:46 AM
    Yes I was told that a return package slip would be included with my new phone in order to return the defective model.
    02-07-09 03:13 PM
    I had the same problem with my BB Bold. I had it for only three weeks and the unit got really hot one day, I can't say it was the battery as the unit and battery both were very hot... but from my experience with electronics it's the batteries that usually get hot. I had a full charge on it in the morning and then about 4 hours later the unit got very hot and it froze. I pulled the battery and reinserted it and when I turned the unit back on the battery was almost completely drained. I recharged the battery and it worked fine for a week or so and then the same thing happened. This time I pulled the battery again, reinserted it but the unit wouldn't even turn on this time at all and when I plugged the charger into the Bold it wouldn't turn on either. I measured the battery charge and had 4.1 V so it was charged enough to work. I tried a friend's battery which had 3.7 V on my unit and it didn't work and when I tried my battery on his BBB it worked fine. So something in my BBB was defective and it just went dead. I'm sure I will get a replacement and till then I'm using a low end substitute. I also read about some early BB Bolds sold to Japan which had these issues but apparently nothing like that was noted in North America. The article mentioned that the cause of this is unknown and someone somewhere (RIM) is working to resolve this problem. So those my just be lemons and hopefully they will fix this bug or whatever it is soon.
    11-22-09 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD