So I have a 9700 with Tmobile, and when I purchased it I asked the rep if I were to swap phones with a friend would everything work? She said yeah everything but the internet. Well I put my Sim into a G1 and whatta know the phone works. Internet and everything. So my question is did the rep lie or is there something else I don't know.

Also since everything works, I shouldn't be charged for anything that my plan covers? (I.E texts and data usage)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 08:37 PM
    I'm assuming that changed when they launched the EM/EM+ plans, because it used to not work. What the rep told you was correct, at least in the past.

You shouldn't be charged extra for anything that you do on the G1, minus any paid application downloads.
    12-11-09 08:47 PM
    I'm assuming that changed when they launched the EM/EM+ plans, because it used to not work. What the rep told you was correct, at least in the past.

You shouldn't be charged extra for anything that you do on the G1, minus any paid application downloads.
    oh I see. Thanks haha I was tripping out when it worked and wasn't sure why when I was told it wouldn't.

12-11-09 08:50 PM
    Yeah, you should be fine. What I've noticed is that BB data plan works with BB (duh) and lots of other smartphones, like Android. However, generic smartphone data doesn't work for BBs. So if you stay on the BB plan, you'll be able to switch between BB and Android or whatever anytime you want...
    12-11-09 09:11 PM
    Yeah, you should be fine. What I've noticed is that BB data plan works with BB (duh) and lots of other smartphones, like Android. However, generic smartphone data doesn't work for BBs. So if you stay on the BB plan, you'll be able to switch between BB and Android or whatever anytime you want...
    Oh heck yes. That's good to know. Now I don't feel like the G1 won't go to waste.

12-12-09 03:34 AM
    i dont understand why your internet would not have worked since all of your information plan wise is on the SIM card.
    12-12-09 03:55 AM
    i dont understand why your internet would not have worked since all of your information plan wise is on the SIM card.
    They said it requires "different" services and that I would have to switch to a normal data plan

12-12-09 02:09 PM
    Oh ok makes since, I have noticed though when I plug my blackberry sim into non blackberry phones the data still works, but not visa versa, due to the unique blackberry internet plan.

12-12-09 02:10 PM
    My understanding is that there is not much difference between the Blackberry feature, Sidekick feature, and the Android feature.
    12-12-09 08:02 PM
    Yeah not too much difference.

SK and BB both need the right plan to function though. This is because BB data goes through RIM servers, while SK goes through Danger. Android, on the other hand, doesn't do this and is much more flexible in terms of data plans.

12-12-09 10:13 PM
    I have the unlimited blackberry plan on Tmobile and it doesn't work with my G1 unfortunately. i keep getting kicked to the browser every time i use something that requires data access. ......oh well, i kinda knew that would happen as that's the way it's been for a while. however, it does work with my TP2, iphone and N95 8G.
    my phone is a bb8900, btw
    Last edited by gerelee54; 12-19-09 at 12:27 PM.
    12-19-09 12:24 PM
    I have the unlimited blackberry plan on Tmobile and it doesn't work with my G1 unfortunately. i keep getting kicked to the browser every time i use something that requires data access. ......oh well, i kinda knew that would happen as that's the way it's been for a while. however, it does work with my TP2, iphone and N95 8G.
    my phone is a bb8900, btw
    The basic functionality of the phone will work with a BB sim card, but the Android features will not work since the BB sim is provisioned for BB network, not Android.
    12-19-09 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD