My 8300 just crapped out on me. I have the choice of either the 8900 or the 8520. Which phone would you recommend on rogers? Or is it worth it to spend a little extra and go for a different blackberry?

Thanks!
    01-06-10 12:20 AM
    If you can, head over to a rogers store and test fit them to your hands. Check out the trackpad and see if you like it. Best way to judge how you'll enjoy the bb is to see how it feels in the hand. Also check options vs what you need and go from there.
    01-06-10 12:33 AM
    for $99, you can get a bold 9000

that would be my pick
    01-06-10 03:18 AM
    Rogers Stores rarely have functioning devices on display - short of the iPhone. I had to rely on the competitors' stores and FutureShop to try out live models. Stupid. What product would you buy (especially when you're looking at being locked into a contract) that only exists in stores as a mockup?

Anyhoo -
    The upshot of my hands-on meant I went with the 8520. Might have gone with the 9000, but simply too big and the 3G capabilities on Rogers too overrated at the moment. 8900 nice, but really, for less cost I got most of the features on the 8520 as the 8900 (and, like, do I really need GPS?), with the added advantage of losing the sometimes problematic trackball in favour of the trackpad.
    01-06-10 08:17 AM
    I have never seen a store in my area (Edmonton) that actually has a selection of live demo device out for play/test. Only the iphone.
    01-06-10 07:18 PM
    Thanks for your input guys. I'm actually going with the 8900. I have played around with both phones and they both fit nicely in my hands. But from what I've heard and the people i've spoken with, they have suggested i got with the 8900.
    01-07-10 01:14 AM

that would be my pick

Agreed. Unless the OP wants UMA, I think the Bold wind everytime
    01-07-10 07:48 AM
    Thanks for your input guys. I'm actually going with the 8900. I have played around with both phones and they both fit nicely in my hands. But from what I've heard and the people i've spoken with, they have suggested i got with the 8900.
    Excellent choice. Great phone.

Was the 9700 an option for you?
    01-07-10 08:20 AM
    Agreed. Unless the OP wants UMA, I think the Bold wind everytime
    question: what is UMA?
    01-07-10 03:27 PM
    question: what is UMA?
    Unlicensed Mobile Access. Rogers calls it Talkspot:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...ducts/talkspot

Basically you can use your BB's phone and BIS features over a Wi-Fi connection and "save" on your air-time minutes if you subscribe to a Talkspot plan.

In the US, some carriers will let you use UMA on any open wireless connection for free, which is pretty sweet.

I don't think Rogers has enabled UMA on the 9700, but it is on the 8900.
    01-07-10 03:40 PM

that would be my pick
    When did the deal for a 99 cent bold stop?
    01-07-10 03:44 PM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access. Rogers calls it Talkspot:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...ducts/talkspot

Basically you can use your BB's phone and BIS features over a Wi-Fi connection and "save" on your air-time minutes if you subscribe to a Talkspot plan.

In the US, some carriers will let you use UMA on any open wireless connection for free, which is pretty sweet.

I don't think Rogers has enabled UMA on the 9700, but it is on the 8900.

You don't need to subscribe to TalkSpot to take advantage of UMA. Even if you don't have TalkSpot you can use UMA via most WIFI routers to:
    1. Improve your reception in areas that have poor reception: shielded buildings, under ground, and in rural areas, etc.
    2. Use for calls home when you are in a long distance call zone. For example, I was able to make and recive calls while in Korea via UMA and it treats the call like you are calling from your home area. All you burn is your normal minutes! BEST FEATURE EVER!

TalkSpot is a neat feature still as it allows you unlimited calling to local or nation wide (depending on the plan). But you don't have to buy TalkSpot to use UMA.

Oh, yeah...and I would go for the 8900 as well
    Last edited by NoDuff; 01-07-10 at 10:45 PM.
    01-07-10 10:43 PM
    When did the deal for a 99 cent bold stop?
    Jan 4th was the last day.
    01-07-10 11:17 PM
    TalkSpot is a neat feature still as it allows you unlimited calling to local or nation wide (depending on the plan). But you don't have to buy TalkSpot to use UMA.
    Correct. You can use it even if you have not signed up for Talkspot, but your minutes and usage gets dinged.
    01-08-10 07:41 AM
    Correct. You can use it even if you have not signed up for Talkspot, but your minutes and usage gets dinged.
    So the only reason one would use UMA is if reception in your home (or wherever) was too crappy to make a call using EDGE/3G/whatever?
    02-10-10 02:28 AM
    So the only reason one would use UMA is if reception in your home (or wherever) was too crappy to make a call using EDGE/3G/whatever?
    That is certainly a nice benefit. If you live in a basement apartment or in an area where there is bad to iffy reception, using UMA and TalkSpot would be a great alternative to ensure your calls can be made.

I think the main target audience for Rogers' TalkSpot is for users that have a cell phone as their main home phone (ie: no land line). That way, you can use your cell phone at home to make unlimited local and Canadian long distance calls using your home 'net connection.

If you make a LOT of long distance calls within Canada from your home, then it's an inviting option and you'd have to look at how much you spend on long distance vs the cost of the TalkSpot option.
    Last edited by shabbs; 02-10-10 at 11:50 AM.
    02-10-10 11:47 AM
    You should get a bold for 99 cents!
    02-12-10 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD