I know this is not related to the Bold, but it does affect cell phone users in Ontario. Good thing I always use a BT headset.

Ban of hand-held devices passes third reading - Headlines - News - 680News - ALL NEWS RADIO
    04-23-09 12:04 PM
    Good for them. It's about time they stop those avid texters from rear-ending everyone haha.

No, out of all honesty I think it's good. And at least they'd start with a 'public education' period to expose people to it before handing out fines.
    04-23-09 12:08 PM
    i thought this was already in effect? no use of cell phones in Ontario without bluetooth/handsfree or whatever...personally i think phones should be banned in cars completely but obviously car makers disagree cause their putting bluetooth built-in to most new cars, which is still distracting and according to a national study makes you drive like you would if you were drunk, lol, brutal...anyway good for the government to finally get a move on with this
    04-23-09 01:26 PM
    Its true, some studies in the United States have shown that Texting while driving is worse than being under the influence of drugs or alchohol while driving. The theory is that is uses multiple portions of your brain simultaneously so one process can not be completed properly or completly, (ie. Paying attention to the road.).

The same study also showed that from their sample pool, of ALL demographics between 18-40 78% of Americans have reported, Texting, Emailing, or using a Text Input Based function on their device more than once while operating a vehicle in a moving state.
    04-23-09 07:55 PM
    There was talk of a similar law being passed here in Manitoba as well. It was in the news a LOT back in January but I have not heard much since then, and I still see a TON of people yapping on their phones while behind the wheel.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 08:27 PM
    It's about time if you ask me, I was surprised when I came to Canada how this is not banned !
    04-23-09 08:59 PM
    I'm all for the ban. There was a statistic that was done a couple of years ago regarding the causes of car accidents. Talking on the cell phone was on the top of the list. I see so many people talk and drive and they are doing
    40kms on a 60kms zone. That drives me nuts, literally! And I love the ones who are talking on the phone and cut me off at the same time. In terms of a complete ban, that's a tough one. I get the odd call when I'm driving and it's usually under 3 mins. I use my BT headset to answer the call. If for some reason I forget my BT headset, I don't answer my phone and let it go to VM.
    But I'm not like a lot of drivers who carry on a long conversation while driving. There's a time and place for that and that's who they are targeting.

I can see the prices of BT headsets going up now.
    04-23-09 09:19 PM
    if i had a nickel for every time i saw a girl texting while attempting to drive...i'd have enough to buy me a bt headset :P
    04-24-09 01:00 AM
    Look at all the things that people do behind the wheel. So much focus is placed on cell phones when ANYTHING can take your attention away from the road.....how long have cars had radios?
    04-24-09 01:07 AM
    if i had a nickel for every time i saw a girl texting while attempting to drive...i'd have enough to buy me a bt headset :P
    Every time a girl was texting? I've seen men and women, youth and adult, races of all types texting away at red lights, and pulling off the line without even watching. I personally haven't seen a clear consistency in who does the texting, but I've seen that a lot do.
    04-24-09 10:15 AM
    Totally agree ScandaLeX. On the highway I've seen it all. From shaving to makeup application. I'm glad the law is going to be put in place but ppl are still going to do other things that take their attention off of driving.

04-24-09 10:26 AM
    We've had this law in Quebec since last summer...and it has become one money making machine for the gvt..

I agree its a good thing though and a first step!
    04-24-09 10:53 AM
    Every time a girl was texting? I've seen men and women, youth and adult, races of all types texting away at red lights, and pulling off the line without even watching. I personally haven't seen a clear consistency in who does the texting, but I've seen that a lot do.

I agree. It's not just girls texting while driving. I see all types do the same.
    04-24-09 11:01 AM
    Totally agree ScandaLeX. On the highway I've seen it all. From shaving to makeup application. I'm glad the law is going to be put in place but ppl are still going to do other things that take their attention off of driving.

While I agree that putting on makeup does distract the drivers and it's dangerous, but it's nowhere as bad as talking on the phone. As what others have said, when you talk on the phone, your mind is distracted and most drivers lose their concentration when driving which can cause a car accident. I see people eat, drink coffee, read a newspaper, etc. while driving. Where does it end? They can't stop everyone from doing this. But a cop can pull over a driver if they see them driving in and out of lanes or driving slow for no apparent reason.
    04-24-09 11:07 AM
    Wg, How is driving while putting on makeup not as bad as talking on a phone? I'll be honest, I've seen some things done behind the wheel that made me wish the driver had been on the phone than doing what they were doing.

I'm sorry, but anything that takes you away from the road is bad.
    04-24-09 11:23 AM
    'Bout friggin' time!
    Now if we could get rid of coffee holders, makeup mirrors, GPS and complicated 'Mission Control' panels where radios used to be, we might have a passing chance of getting from one place to another without running over each other....

;-)
    04-24-09 11:27 AM
    LMAO @ mission control.
    04-24-09 11:35 AM
    Wg, How is driving while putting on makeup not as bad as talking on a phone? I'll be honest, I've seen some things done behind the wheel that made me wish the driver had been on the phone than doing what they were doing.

It's true. Really the law should be that drivers are driving - that is ALL. You're not drinking coffee, you're not texting, you're not eating, you're not filing your taxes, you're not shaving your nose hairs - you get the idea. Anything which isn't involved with the driving process is going to distract you from it. And I'm sorry, but at even 40kph you're driving a metal device of death. Cars NEED respect and care to be driven effectively.
    04-24-09 12:59 PM

I should have rephrased it. I agree that anything you do that distracts you from driving is dangerous. And it's beyond me as to why women put on makeup while driving. I will admit, I do touch up my liptstick in the car, but that's when I'm at a complete stop. The bottom line is, they are not going to ban everything you do while driving, that's impossible. I guess the number of car accidents as a result of someone talking on the phone, pushed them to this ban. If they're going to ban women from putting on makeup in the car, then they mind as well ban everyone from eating, drinking etc. in the car.
    04-24-09 01:18 PM
    I should have rephrased it. I agree that anything you do that distracts you from driving is dangerous. And it's beyond me as to why women put on makeup while driving. I will admit, I do touch up my liptstick in the car, but that's when I'm at a complete stop. The bottom line is, they are not going to ban everything you do while driving, that's impossible. I guess the number of car accidents as a result of someone talking on the phone, pushed them to this ban. If they're going to ban women from putting on makeup in the car, then they mind as well ban everyone from eating, drinking etc. in the car.
    I agree that they wont be able to ban everything you do in the car and cell phones have probably been the #1 contributor to accidents.

I've been using my phone hands free for years and I guess I don't understand why people have such a problem doing so.
    04-24-09 01:22 PM
    I agree that they wont be able to ban everything you do in the car and cell phones have probably been the #1 contributor to accidents.

I've been using my phone hands free for years and I guess I don't understand why people have such a problem doing so.

I started using a BT headset over 2 yrs. ago. It took me awhile to find the perfect fit. I agree, if someone is going to talk on the phone for a long period of time while they're driving, they should use a handsfree device. It's the best and safer investment they can make.
    04-24-09 02:16 PM

Especially when they close their eyes to put on the eye shadow.
    04-24-09 03:25 PM
    Ban everything while driving? Come on... Would that be the safest thing to do? Maybe, but let's be serious. Are you going to ban fiddling with the radio? Talking to a passenger? (which is no less distracting than using a cell phone) We assume a lot of risks in our day to day lives, including choosing to drive, but do you really think the government legislating risk out of our lives is in everyone's best interest? Think about it..
    04-25-09 11:49 PM
    Mac, I cant even imagine an entire ban like that; but as someone else said, cell phones have probably been linked as the biggest factor in car accidents.
    04-26-09 03:06 AM
    I blame ROBBERS for bad driving.
    04-26-09 06:50 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD