For those that haven't received their notices from Sprint/Asurion yet, a new tier system is being implemented effective April 19. Tier one devices will have a $50 deductible, while Tier 2 devices, which includes all BlackBerrys, will now be a $100 deductible. Anyone seeking information regarding their device can confirm this on www.sprint.com. The Asurion phone # is 800-584-3666. It does state that some devices that start on Tier 2 may be moved to Tier 1 during the lifetime of the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 09:17 PM
    Yeah I got that today too. I'm not to worried about it I baby the crap outta my BB so its not that big of a deal

02-09-09 10:52 PM
    That sucks! Doubling the cost of the deductable on BB's? C'mon Asurion!

I bet its because of those inconsiderate people who get a replacement every time they see a tiny scratch on the inside of their battery cover. Grrrrr!!!
    Last edited by 1 2 MaNy; 02-10-09 at 09:20 PM.
    02-10-09 12:13 AM
    Sadly, because of the deductible cost and the monthly cost, I just opt to buy my phones off Craigslist or ebay. Needless to say, in the ten plus years I've owned a cell phone, I've only had to replace one out of my pocket due to my own negligence. But I agree with Many, they probably are losing out too much because people take advantage of the replacement policy.
    02-10-09 12:33 AM
    Wow... That's ishy... Should we be irritated at Sprint or Asurion about this? Whose policy is it?

02-10-09 12:35 AM
    Thats why I don't have insurance pay so much for a deductible and the monthly fee before you know your paying for a new phone!

Screw that I lose my phone or gets broken I be shopping on ebay!
    02-10-09 12:37 AM
    That sucks! Doubling the cost of the deductable on BB's? C'mon Sprint!

I bet its because of those inconsiderate people who get a replacement every time they see a tiny scratch on the inside of their battery cover. Grrrrr!!!
    Wow... That's ishy... Should we be irritated at Sprint or Asurion about this? Whose policy is it?

Why be irritated at anyone? Its not as though prices arent rising everywhere. The fact that it took this long for a price increase is what I find surprising- thought it would have happened a long time ago.
    02-10-09 12:42 AM
    I always keep insurance on my phones for the first few months.. thats enough time to see if all is well.. I take care of my phones..

well with the price jump.. it would make me less incline to opt for insurance on my next phones...
    02-10-09 02:33 AM
    Why be irritated at anyone? Its not as though prices arent rising everywhere. The fact that it took this long for a price increase is what I find surprising- thought it would have happened a long time ago.
    Equipment replacement used to be $2.99/month with no deductible. Now it's $7/month with a $50 deductible, going to $100 deductible. Prices have risen.

24 months (term of contract) x $7/month = $168 + $100 deductible = $268. So, $168 if nothing happens to your phone, and $268 for a one time occurance. I guess the smart thing might be to keep insurance for the first couple months, and then remove it, as someone else stated. Afterwhich, the prices of the phones drop drastically, and you can find them via 3rd party for a lot cheaper.

Also in the past, Sprint has always taken my old phone, and sent me a replacement phone for manufacturer warranty coverage. They don't do that anymore. Now it's up to you to contact the manufacturer.
    02-10-09 02:46 PM
    Still cheaper than buying a phone outright. I stay with insurance! Its like the lottery. You never know!

02-10-09 04:12 PM
    The mailer came from Asurion. The website posted was noted in the guidebook included in the letter. It's not Sprints' fault, it's Asurions' new policy. I'm mobile or I'd post the book for everyone. I expect these changes will affect the other carriers soon.

02-10-09 04:27 PM
    Bdizz, I don't know if they have it on website yet, the mailer arrived in mail yesterday as I was leaving. I can assure you I have no desire to post erroneous information and incurring the wrath of the CrackBerry Nation. I posted it to give everyone a heads' up.

02-10-09 04:38 PM
    Well I wonder if they are raising for Verizon too? I don't know. I guess it would okay with me only if it's a brand new phone that I receive back and not used.
    02-10-09 04:46 PM

hehe I dont know what your talking about
    02-10-09 05:46 PM
    That sucks! Doubling the cost of the deductable on BB's? C'mon Asurion!
    Edited my post. I meant to say Asurion. Brain fart.

Oh....I CAN, and WILL be irritated with Asurion. Doubling the price of the deductable is effin' rediculous!

Well I wonder if they are raising for Verizon too? I don't know. I guess it would okay with me only if it's a brand new phone that I receive back and not used.
    All the major US carriers are insured by Asurion, so.....yes it will raise for Verizon too.

hehe I dont know what your talking about
    Lmao!!! Sure you don't. Lol
    02-10-09 09:55 PM
    its pretty much always a refurbished phone there are some cases where people have bitched enough and got them to send a new one but 99.9% of the time its a refurb
    That's the biggest problem I have with the insurance.
    02-11-09 11:19 AM
    Well, you're not sending them a new phone. I've only had one minor snafu with a furb in the past, the sub-lcd on a flip went out.

02-11-09 12:02 PM
    This is definitely going to make me rethink the insurance on my phone. The Curve has been out long enough that I could find a suitable replacement for a similar price when compared to the expense of carrying the insurance + deductible.

I can't really say I'm upset, per se, just a little confused. I know this is not Sprint's doing, but one might think that Sprint would do all they can to differentiate themselves in a positive way from the competition and keeping the insurance cheaper (even if it means it's more expensive for Sprint on the back end) might be a good way of doing it.

Also, bergerking. I think people look at the refurbish deal this way: they bought a new phone and not a refurbished one, and the perception is that you're getting less value on your money when you receive a refurb. Whether or not that is the case is up for argument, but I think that's why it upsets people.
    02-11-09 12:14 PM
    hmmmm kinda like buying a new car, wrecking it and your insurance company giving you a used one in its place.... No response required
    02-11-09 02:35 PM
    I cancelld my insurance today since I can buy a used/ebay curve for $200 bucks. I havent used insurance in years...actually over 6 years with a 4 line account....so I will stop tossing my money

Doing the math 7 dollars for 4 lines x 12 months- $336 bucks a year....
    Last edited by MsRandall; 02-12-09 at 08:19 AM.
    02-11-09 02:59 PM
    Ok, time for a tutorial. You pick up your new device. One of the things they tell you is that you have 30 days from date of original purchase to return it for refund or new replacement. This 30 is kinda like a buyer's remorse type of thing.

Now you get through your 1st 30, and things are cool. Suddenly, you drop your device in the toilet. The device was not defective when you dropped it, and it was no longer 'new'. You had derived some imputed value from this item. It no longer has a flawless finish, and has accrued hours of use called depreciation.

Well, now. A choice has to be made. Send it for repair. Buy a new one. Replace it with insurance.Replace it with a used device that might have hidden issues. How much is your time worth? My lost time is about $25 an hour. Frustration time, incalcuable.

Now, unless you are fortunate, most of the time you are not gonna have a new replacement policy. If you do, consider yourself lucky.
    What you are going to have is an equivalent replacement policy. Meaning that your replacement will be the equivalent of what you had to start with. Not the value YOU think it's worth, but what the industry calculates it's worth is. Never mind that you had a couple of $30 apps on it, that's not the way you got it.

Now, why only 30 days. Well, go out a year. Don't you think that after a year, many might just back up their devices and have convenient 'accidents' just to get a new one? Do you really think business is that dumb? If you do, let me pause to catch my breath from LMFAO. You have partial deductible of the devices' used value, not new.

Besides, with devices growing in speed and power, they're not gonna get much cheaper for a while. And of course, we all pay for it when others try to screw the system. There are no free rides.

Unless you work for the government, of course.

02-11-09 06:26 PM
    I work for asurion in the Verizon wireless claims department. I haven't heard anything mentioned about the deductable being raised. The only thing that was recently raised was the COD fee for COD orders. It went from 10 to 15 dollars. If I find anything out I'll let you know.
    02-11-09 08:05 PM
    yea....its lame considering you may never need it or use it almost never, yet you pay them every month for years sometimes before needing it....another great company helping ruin the economy some more prob for more suits raises....
    02-12-09 01:18 AM
    This rate increase is going to make me question paying for the insurance.
    02-12-09 11:12 AM
    $100 deductable plus $84 a year. Think you wont break your phone in 2 years?

claire
    02-12-09 11:15 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD