I've heard quite a few different explanations, still confused. Telus reps are telling me that the 8900 will work on the new network, however the data speeds will not be as fast as an hspa enabled device like the 9700. I believe he said top speeds of 7mbs instead of 21 mbs, if that makes sense. Anyways, does anyone have first hand knowledge. Will voice and data work on the hspa network using an 8900?

Thanks
    12-05-09 02:21 PM
    8900 doesn't work on Telus. The Curve only has a QUAD BAND GSM, The New HSPA network is only Dual Band 850/1900 UMTS.. Remember GSM AND HSPA 2 DIFFERENT THINGS. Example. Rogers has QuadBand GSM (EDGE) and HSPA Dual band. Telus only has the HSPA PArt. call back and tell those reps they're ******* useless and need to be fired. reps don't know ****. ON the Mbps.. NO phone can reach 21mpbs the highest is 7.2mbps on a blackberry
    12-05-09 04:17 PM
    No one is using an unlocked 8900 on the new (HSPA) network.
    12-05-09 04:58 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. I figured this might be the case but the rep really had me confused. I wish they had a list of compatible phones on their site instead of the ESN / serial number look up thing. Oh well, maybe I'll just pony up the dough and go for the 9700.
    Thanks again.
    12-05-09 05:50 PM
    12-05-09 06:08 PM
    Thanks but thats the ESN / serial number look up I mentioned before. (actually called IMEI number, not ESN). You would need a specific device in your hands to get this number. Or ask a friend on Rogers for their number I suppose. Either way, its not a straight forward list of phones that work on the network.
    12-05-09 06:31 PM
    grab the imei number and look it up on the telus website. I am running a rogers bold on telus.
    12-06-09 02:21 PM
    Hey I have a Rogers Bold that im trying to get working on the new Telus network but i cant get Data working. I got the APN's from telus, however still no go. I have no service books and when i try to register the device i dont get any email back from the telus system. Any thoughts on next steps?
    12-06-09 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD