Since the bbm outage today I have had almost no internet connection with the native browser and my socialscope acct.
    Opera works fine still though.
    Anyone having similiar issues?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 08:07 PM
    Huh! How odd.

Other than the phone, nothing is connecting except for Opera. Native browser, Weathereye, all the Google Apps, Ubertwitter, and Yahoo Messenger are all out.

But Opera works. Although the explanation is probably far over my head, I'd love to know why that is.
    12-22-09 08:27 PM
    Yeah..if anyone could explain why opera is working while nothing else is, I'd love to hear that too.

12-22-09 08:45 PM
    That's what I thought was weird. I can surf at the great sprint speed on opera but native and socialscope won't get past main screens.
    I don't know. Android is looking better and better every day for the past month of outages

12-22-09 09:22 PM
    No Opera in NJ on Verizon Curve.
    12-22-09 09:25 PM
    Verizon prob has is locked. Lol/jk

12-22-09 11:56 PM
    My, admittedly limited, understanding is this:

If you look at your home screen and see "1xev", you basically have no data. You will be able to make phone calls and send/receive texts, but that's about it; NOTHING else will work, including Opera.

On the other hand, if you're seeing "1XEV" **BUT** there is a BIS outage, Opera will work fine and you can make calls as well as send/receive SMS/MMS messages. However, in that event, you can forget about using the BB browser, BBM, email, et al....anything that's routed through RIM servers is toast (Opera is not, so it isn't).

Just had this happen....went from 1xev to 1XEV. I was able to use Opera and received a text message but nothing else worked (e.g., BBM, BB browser, email, even Viigo).
    12-23-09 12:47 AM
    Not going through the RIM servers makes sense, given that's where the problem was. I suppose that's also why Opera and Bolt seem to be faster. One less system for every packet to filter through. Thanks.
    12-23-09 10:27 AM
    yeah see i was under the impression that bis was all data services not just the select few.
    that does make perfect sense though.
    12-23-09 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD