Hi Guys -

Just got a bold 9650 and HATE that bing is default search engine.

I've done some research and can't find any solutions. Has anyone found any yet? Is there a way to hack the BB so it searches through google, or ANYTHING? I know we all hate bing, and verizon for making this switch. I'm almost tempted to keep using my defective tour. Eeeeeek!!!

Any help is appreciated. Are there hyrbid OS's that can be used to fix this?

Thanks,

Matt
    06-24-10 01:53 AM
    No, we are all screwed. Bing sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it other than put google in your favorites or in QuickLaunch or something.

Considering Microsnot had to pay Verizon to do that, it makes me wonder if they realize it sucks too...lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 01:59 AM
    I just ended up using Quicklaunch's default web search and set that to google. Now I can just google from the home screen, or anywhere on my bold for that matter. Totally worth the couple of bucks.

06-24-10 02:53 AM
    I just use Opera which is set to Google.

06-24-10 03:46 AM
    I just ended up using Quicklaunch's default web search and set that to google. Now I can just google from the home screen, or anywhere on my bold for that matter. Totally worth the couple of bucks.

I use the QuickLaunch search as well. It has Google and quite a few other search options. I love the fact that it allows me to use AutoText in the input field.

06-24-10 06:11 AM
    oooooh, the QL websearch is something I never noticed before. Me likey.
    06-24-10 11:18 AM
    just download the google mobile app (m.google.com from your BB) and you get a nice icon for google search and is voice search capable
    06-24-10 03:42 PM
    yea i hate bing my storm 2 is also stuck with that but what i did was set my home screen to google so every time i open my web browser its already on google and ready to go
    06-24-10 05:32 PM
    The only issue with setting your web home screen to Google is that you have to wait for it to first load up (and we all know how that can be slow). The fastest and easiest thing to do is download the Google Search app. A click of the icon and your search page appears and you simply enter the search terms. Or, as others have posted, use QL.
    06-24-10 05:35 PM
    I was wondering if a hybrid could be created that uses the browser cod or cod files from a prior OS or Device?

You could also change your HOME screen to google. But I really liked it when I pressed G and I could either enter a url or type on the "google" box.

edited to add: Is there anyway to change the bookmark order so that I could at least, set google as the first entry? I guess I could erase them all and start again.
    06-24-10 07:57 PM
    It's not the browser cod files it's in the service books.
    It was pushed out to some phones with no upgrade.
    06-24-10 08:13 PM
    I'm really surprised that no one has figured out how to hack this though. I'm not a programmer or a computer genius by any means, but i feel like in the scheme of complicated things to fix, this is pretty simple isnt it? I mean people find ways to jailbreak iphones, make 360's play hacked games, and install hacked OS's on blackberrys. Changing the search to google seams easy, haha.
    06-25-10 12:44 AM
    bump please
    06-30-10 12:53 AM
    Not going to happen...

It's in the service books, so even if you could figure out how to change those you would need to do it very often. Service books usually get resent after a reboot, or Verizon just randomly decides to send them to you.
    06-30-10 01:14 AM
    just download the google mobile app (m.google.com from your BB) and you get a nice icon for google search and is voice search capable
    Yes I did the same thing as you because as all of us know Bing sucks. This google mobile thing is very cool! Especially with the voice search feature, love using it when im driving that way i dont have to take my eyes off the road lol
    07-03-10 04:01 AM
    SearchIt is best BB app I currently use. Lots of search options! Thanks, ShaoSoft!

07-03-10 08:19 AM
    Yes I did the same thing as you because as all of us know Bing sucks. This google mobile thing is very cool! Especially with the voice search feature, love using it when im driving that way i dont have to take my eyes off the road lol
    Agree 100% on this one. I had searchit on my Storm and if all u use is google go for the google mobile app. Voice search hasn't let me down yet!

07-03-10 09:19 AM

Thanks for posting the little tid bit above. I also hate bing and didn't realize QuickLaunch could do this. Awesome!
    07-06-10 08:40 PM
    SearchIt is best BB app I currently use. Lots of search options! Thanks, ShaoSoft!

+1
    Search it is very versitile I would recommend it as well.
    07-07-10 07:44 PM
    Raising an ancient thread from the grave to report that BB OS7 has a solution for this.

There is now an option to enter custom search engines in the browser and set engines other than Bing to default:

Browser Options>Manage Search Engines>New Search Engine
    Specify a name (Google, in my case).
    Specify the URL to use for that engine (in Google's case, it's "http://www.google.com/search?q=%s" without the quotes).

Other engines would be similar, just add "%s" in the URL where your search would be.

Couldn't find anything on this when searching. If someone else has already discovered this, I apologize.
    anygivensunday likes this.
    09-28-11 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD