Hi all, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum so forgive me if I have placed this thread incorrectly.

My upgrade is due in a couple of weeks, and I will be taking a sim only deal as there's nothing better than the z30 so no need for a phone, or an expensive contract!

I have found a good deal with virgin mobile sim only pay monthly, but I am given the option of micro sim for BlackBerry or micro sim for other. I am wondering why this option is present A I thought blackberry services like BBM were all an old bbos thing, and the services now all run on normal data... I am confused as to which option to pick... I know this sounds petty, but I actually have no idea!!! Also the only bb10 device they are supplying currently is the q5 so I am hoping updates for the z30 would arrive when they are released... I assume this as it iis the same with o2.. I get software updates despite the z30 having never been supplied by o2.

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 03:54 PM
    I'm using a Passport with Virgin Mobile UK and my wife has just switched to a Q10. We're both on the standard �12 a month SIM-only tariff, which doesn't include any specific Blackberry add-ons (just voice, text and data allowances). I believe you only need the Blackberry specific version for the older OS which need to access the Blackberry services for data compression etc.

AFAIK software updates for independently bought devices (i.e. not part of a contact) on European networks are independent of the carriers as there is a single standard and no need for each carrier to re-approve any updates. We both got updates to our phones within a couple of days of starting to use them - and over WiFi rather than the mobile network.
    12-16-14 04:52 PM
    Thank you so much for replying Marshall! really helpful! And has confirmed my decision to go for the sim only on virgin mobile !

I will take the micro sim 'other' as its generic for minutes texts and data, and as you said. The blackberry option will be for the bbos likely.

But may I just confirm, when your wife took the sim only deal out, she did not select the blackberry option. But just purchased the standard tarrif with a micro sim?

Thanks ever so much once more!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 04:56 PM
    Both of us just have the standard SIM only deal that we used with our WebOS phones. No Blackberry options on either of them.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 03:54 PM
    Perfect! Thank you so much replying, you've been super helpful and have confirmed my decision to transfer to virgin sim only in a few weeks! Thanks again!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:31 PM
    Perfect! Thank you so much replying, you've been super helpful and have confirmed my decision to transfer to virgin sim only in a few weeks! Thanks again!!!

Posted via CB10
    Jus to also back up what marshalla said.

If you're buying a new Blackberry 10 device you do not need any Blackberry add on or specific plan on the sim.

All the services will work with any SIM Only plan.
    amjass12 likes this.
    12-25-14 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD