So with the rumours flying around of the new Google phone coming on GSM first is anybody on Sprint thinking of jumping ships just so they can have the Google phone? As for me I love Sprint, they have the best packages and their signal is decent around here, I love my Pre. Unless Sprint gets the Google phone next month, I don't think I'll be switching to another network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-09 04:20 PM
    i apologize but i wanted to ask, are you referring to a handset with a droid os?
    12-12-09 04:23 PM
    Didn't jump ship for the iphone and wouldn't jump ship for no google phone. Sprint or death.
    12-12-09 04:31 PM
    Talking about this phone

Google has designed a cellphone it plans to sell directly to consumers as soon as next year, according to people familiar with the matter.

The phone is called the Nexus One and is being manufactured for Google by HTC Corp., these people said. It runs Android, the operating system for mobile phones that Google developed, they added.

Google to Start Selling Own Phone Without Wireless Partner by Next Year - WSJ.com
    12-12-09 06:54 PM
    It sounds like the phone will be unlocked so it can go on any network. I think its way to early to say if I would go or anyone else for that matter. No specs, design or what its all about other then androoid and produced by HTC. Will it be unlocked for any carrier? HTC is producing the phone so is it really a "true google phone" or just another type model similar to something HTC already produces?
    12-12-09 08:44 PM
    It sounds like the phone will be unlocked so it can go on any network. I think its way to early to say if I would go or anyone else for that matter. No specs, design or what its all about other then androoid and produced by HTC. Will it be unlocked for any carrier? HTC is producing the phone so is it really a "true google phone" or just another type model similar to something HTC already produces?
    Unlocked and sold outside of a specific career almost certainly means its going to be a GSM phone. HTC has produced a majority of the google/android phones. Google has only ever done the OS not actually manufactured the phones.

12-12-09 09:05 PM
    Unlocked and sold outside of a specific career almost certainly means its going to be a GSM phone. HTC has produced a majority of the google/android phones. Google has only ever done the OS not actually manufactured the phones.

Fair enough, leaves me out sticken w/ sprint unless this phone is a modern marvel of some sorts.
    12-12-09 09:22 PM

Do you know if it is possible to take the SIM card out of the Sprint Tour (since it comes with one) and sticking it in a phone that operates on the GSM network?
    12-12-09 10:11 PM
    There are Android phones with a user interface (UI) built on top of the "pure" android OS. (Hero) There are Android phones that have been kept "pure" (Droid) (BTW: The pure phone can be labeled "Google experience" phones, if you want to know the difference when browsing)

I can understand the difference between an Android phone with a UI and one without. But I don't yet understand the difference between a "pure" Android phone and a Google Android phone. Isn't straight Android OS as pure as it gets?

Switching subjects to the ideals of the original post.

Am I jumping ship from Blackberry to Android? Yes I am.

Am I getting the HTC Nexus One because it is Pure, uncut, Columbian Android? No. But I might make a better decision when someone explains to me why Moto Droid (no UI) > HTC Hero (with UI) > HTC Nexus (without UI)
    12-12-09 10:13 PM
    There are Android phones with a user interface (UI) built on top of the "pure" android OS. (Hero) There are Android phones that have been kept "pure" (Droid) (BTW: The pure phone can be labeled "Google experience" phones, if you want to know the difference when browsing)

I can understand the difference between an Android phone with a UI and one without. But I don't yet understand the difference between a "pure" Android phone and a Google Android phone. Isn't straight Android OS as pure as it gets?

Switching subjects to the ideals of the original post.

Am I jumping ship from Blackberry to Android? Yes I am.

Am I getting the HTC Nexus One because it is Pure, uncut, Columbian Android? No. But I might make a better decision when someone explains to me why Moto Droid (no UI) > HTC Hero (with UI) > HTC Nexus (without UI)
    Personally I would go for the HTC Nexus. No offense to the Droid owners out there but that thing is anything but sexy in my eyes and if I can get a phone that's almost twice as fast and way better specs why wouldn't I? As for Sense I wouldn't mind having it on the phone but I could do without, Hero is nice but it's lag is kind of annoying. I am guessing Google is probably going to change something else about their phone, they'll probably build a different UI that's simple to use.
    12-12-09 11:02 PM
    I am likely going to un-converge.
    I will use blackberry as my communication device (phone, messaging, email) and use something else as a PDA/Fun Device. I was looking st an iPod touch or maybe even a touch screen netbok or android tablet or something. The Google Nexus One could be perfect....Can't wait for CES to get all the announcements so I canmake a decision.
    12-13-09 08:11 AM
    According to this weekends rumors the Google Nexus One will run Android 2.1 which be will exclusive to Google's Nexus One. Other rumored specs: 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 512MB ROM, 256MB RAM, 3.7-inch AMOLED facade, capacitive touchscreen, and the addition of a five megapixel AF cam capable of 720p video capture

Other rumors suggest this might be the HTC Bravo, as the pictures that made their way to the net look more like the Bravo than the Passion/Dragon.

HTC Bravo: Is it Google’s Nexus One?
    12-13-09 10:57 AM
    Do you know if it is possible to take the SIM card out of the Sprint Tour (since it comes with one) and sticking it in a phone that operates on the GSM network?
    No it doesn't work that way. I'm not really sure where to start explaining why, other people could do it better then me. But, the short answer is, that is not how it works.

12-13-09 02:40 PM
    The SIM card is for international travel in countries that you need GSM, and it's not included in most plans. You can't use it in the US because Sprint doesn't have a roaming agreement with ATT/TMobile.

12-13-09 03:55 PM
    That phone is going to be FIRE!!!! I love Blackberry but if this came to Sprint I might have to take a look at it, I hope Sprint is in the bidding war for this phone because if AT&T or Verizon gets there hands on this its game over
    12-14-09 06:35 PM
    Non subsidized = surprised if Sprint will ever see it, since it's obviously starting as gsm.

Not really game over though, both AT&T and Verizon are stomping sprint anyways, so I don't really think this will change much.
    12-14-09 06:38 PM
    But at some point you have to step your game up and get a FLAGSHIP phone!!! Goodness Sprint gets on my nerves on the business aspect sometimes, lol, I always have to defend them when someone says what phone company are you with? LMAO
    12-14-09 07:15 PM
    I don't defend them. I say Sprint sucks in a lot of areas, but I use them because they have cheaper plans than most. Tmobile might win overall in prices, but their coverage here is non-existent.

Sprint doesn't get it though. They keep monkeying with stuff like CS and plan prices... AT&T has a ton of network issues and Verizon costs way, way more... But they're stomping you. Phones matter!
    12-14-09 07:24 PM
    Sprint and Verizon or CDMA networks, no SIM card. AT&T and T-Mobile GSM, use SIM cards. As said above Sprint and Verizon phones with SIM cards are for use outside North America for 3G. While you can take a Sprint or Verizon World Capable phone, unlock it, and use it on a GSM carrier within the US, you can not take a GSM phone and use it on a CDMA carrier.
    12-14-09 07:58 PM
    I hate when people accuses Sprint of something the have no control over. The Nexus One is GSM only, so why would Sprint have this phone? I do agree that Sprint's phone selections are lacking, but Verizon was known for being the worse in that department, and look how they stepped it up in a matter of months. Sprint could easily do this next year.

Sprint will receive the HTC Bravo, if you weren't sure of that, and are in talks of carrying the HD2.
    12-15-09 08:56 AM
    I hate when people accuses Sprint of something the have no control over. The Nexus One is GSM only, so why would Sprint have this phone? I do agree that Sprint's phone selections are lacking, but Verizon was known for being the worse in that department, and look how they stepped it up in a matter of months. Sprint could easily do this next year.

Sprint will receive the HTC Bravo, if you weren't sure of that, and are in talks of carrying the HD2.
    Sorry, you have *some* control over what phones you get as a carrier... Certain GSM only phones are one thing, but that excuse doesn't fly for everything. Your image (as a carrier) is dependent on what phones you get, whether you like it or not.

AT&T is living proof that your phone selection matters more than your network. If Sprint doesn't want to believe that, good luck.
    12-15-09 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD