I've got a Pearl 8120 through T-Mobile, and I'm eager to try the 4.5 OS release. But since T-Mobile hasn't officially released it for the Pearl yet, I'm nervous about trying the generic RIM release - I worry that it might break some T-Mobile feature I've got such as UMA, or if something goes wrong during the install then T-Mobile won't help me and I'll have bricked my Pearl.

Has anyone heard any news on the 4.5 (or 4.6) OS release from T-Mobile for the Pearl? Is it likely to be coming up soon, or is T-Mobile working on some known problems before they release, or is it possible they might not release the OS update for their Pearl phones at all?
    10-30-08 12:53 PM
    You can do it... People are already doing it

It DOES, however, void your warranty. So you have to be willing to take that risk I was going to do the 4.5 OS as well but chickened out. Hehe...
    10-30-08 01:19 PM
    I've put 4.5 on my 8100. Works great!

There's a sticky link in the 8120 section that will help you do it. I don't have ten posts so I can't add the link.
    10-30-08 04:06 PM
    Just wait. It should be any time. I guess thats easy for me to say though. I've had 4.5 for 6 months.
    10-30-08 04:09 PM
    I put 4.5.0.81 on my peral. I works great much better than 4.2 no problems at all just follow the sticky instructions and you will be fine
    Good luck

Clive

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-08 04:37 PM
    I tried but couldn't get it to load. It's downloaded to my computer but won't transfer via DM.

10-31-08 10:40 PM
    man i can't wait for the release either, i want to stream radio on my 8120!!
    11-03-08 09:52 PM
    You can do it... People are already doing it

It DOES, however, void your warranty. So you have to be willing to take that risk I was going to do the 4.5 OS as well but chickened out. Hehe...
    If you know how to load a new OS, it's not a problem. You just put the original OS before you send it back for warranty. I was scared the first time too but it's really pretty easy.
    11-03-08 10:04 PM
    If you know how to load a new OS, it's not a problem. You just put the original OS before you send it back for warranty. I was scared the first time too but it's really pretty easy.
    That is if your phone works in a capacity that allows you to roll back to the original OS. My luck would be I would need warranty where the LCD stopped working or something...
    11-04-08 12:51 PM
    Since your upgrade does your pearl shut off a lot or should I say do random restarts? My 8120 just stopped doing that and I don't want to revert back.

11-05-08 07:14 AM
    Has there been any more news on the release of 4.5 or 4.6 on T-Mobile Pearl?
    11-12-08 08:48 AM
    I'd like to know myself. I currently have 4.3.0.115 and even though it runs good, it doesn't allow for any type of streaming. So I'm looking forward to the next official tmobile OS release.

11-18-08 07:52 PM
    i've had my TMO pearl 8120 for only about 7 days and i've been wanting to upgrade also. it should be soon, i hope. TMO released 4.5 for other phones so it shouldn't be far away.
    11-28-08 03:38 AM
    I have version 4.5.0.46 on my 8100 and it's fine for the most part. I tried upgrading to 4.5.0.81 but can't get it to work at all.
    11-29-08 09:31 PM
    Check on their web page and see what it says for ur phone.

11-29-08 09:50 PM
    I talked with a Tmob rep ;ate last night she said you can doownload 4.5 from blackberry.com but it does not have the my fav and all that stuff that Tmob adds to the OS, they are currently working on getting it up for the 8120 she said to keep checking the site t-mobile.com/bbupgrade there will be no annnoucment it will just show up like the upgrade for the curve did. So you have two options right now go the blackberry.com or wait out tmob. I am going to wait for tmob so that it don't accidently clear out everything.
    12-02-08 08:01 AM
    That's not what a rep told me tonight. I was told by a BB tech support supervisor that 4.5 will not be released for the 8120 as there is no need for any update for the phone. 4.5's update for the curve was a big thing for shooting video, html email, etc but that 8120 already has this. Don't expect it anytime soon!

As far as updating BB's go, I definitely do not agree that they are easy to do. I've had nothing but horror nightmares when doing it. From now on I will take it to a store and have them do it for me, it's not very user friendly at all and there are too many 'different ways' to do the updates. If there was only ONE guide to use to update it would be so much simplier. These phones are a nightmare!
    12-04-08 11:14 PM
    i don't think the pearl 8120 on t-mobile with 4.3 OS can show html email (unless upgraded to 4.5). it also cannot view streaming video or audio.
    12-05-08 01:40 PM
    I got tired of waiting, and finally bit the bullet three weeks ago and installed 4.5 on my 8120.

I was nervous as all heck during the installation, but after about an hour, it finished successfully without any problems whatsoever! And I haven't had any trouble with 4.5. Hooray for HTML email! (though I had to figure out to send my service books to enable that)
    12-17-08 09:10 AM
    any news when we can officially upgrade to 4.5
    12-17-08 02:59 PM
    I've put 4.5 on my 8100. Works great!

There's a sticky link in the 8120 section that will help you do it. I don't have ten posts so I can't add the link.
    Which one did you install?
    12-20-08 11:32 AM
    I upgraded to 4.5. on my 8120. I used the rogers web site upgrade and followed his instructions. What a breeze. T-Mobile has not released their version yet. I think I know why. Their little myFavs icons will not load. I got 3 of the 5 to load then only 1 loaded and the others had a little hour glasses. I tried to refresh them from the handset until I got a message saying "you reached your refresh limit for 1 day" I called customer support and they tried several times until they concluded that they do not support the 4.5 OS so they can't help me. I overheard one of the customer reps say there is a problem if one of the names of a fave starts with "H" like "Home". The people at my local T-Mobile store knew less about my phone than me, which is very scary.

This is all irrelevant because I hate the myFavs icons on my screen anyway. My myFavs are on speed dial. Other than the icon issues everything works great.

Email is enhanced.
    Media player is better.

ps. I have two T-Zones icons. I couldn't delete either so I just hid one.

JM
    12-20-08 08:17 PM
    Try the AT&T 4.5.0.110. It's on the website and should work.
    12-21-08 11:52 PM
    Any other word on 4.5 for the 8120?? I guess I'll just upgrade unofficially this week. I want the HTML emial.
    12-29-08 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD