I switched to AT&T to get the blackberry bold on January 20. I ordered the phone from Amazon because they had it for pretty cheap, and I could still take advantage of a $50 mail in rebate. However, AT&T is really... poor when comparing it to my old service from Verizon. Dropped calls, really slow 3G speeds at times, and sometimes my phone not even ringing when my friends call me.

The worst part is, I barely get service at my house. I get 1 bar, maybe 2 if I'm lucky, but it seems that even when I have 1 or 2 bars it's not enough to hold on to a telephone conversation, much less get any data usage out of it. It's a very frustrating experience and I was looking in to switching back to Verizon asap, but since I bought the phone off Amazon I had to agree that I would stay with AT&T for at least 6 months or they would charge me an extra $225 dollars on top of the $175 dollar ETF from AT&T.

Basically I was wondering if anyone from AT&T thinks I have a chance of getting my ETF waved if I give them my sob story I posted here.
    05-30-09 01:01 PM
    It's possible it may be waived because of reception issues, but honestly I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. After all, you DID have 30 days to try the service out and cancel it without any fees. I would imagine you'd have known RIGHT AWAY that it wasn't going to work well for you. I had T-Mobile for less than 3 days before I took the phone back and canceled service, because I knew reception (or lack thereof) was going to be a big issue. You can try it...but that's probably not going to end well. Your best bet would be if you know someone who lives in an area where coverage is decent, and is willing to take over your account, you can transfer it. Good luck.
    05-30-09 02:24 PM
    I was always going to pay some sort of fee no matter when I canceled re: the $225 amazon fee. Right now I'm waiting out the 6 months from amazon so I only have to pay the ETF, cause there's no way I could afford both.
    05-31-09 04:48 AM
    I was always going to pay some sort of fee no matter when I canceled re: the $225 amazon fee. Right now I'm waiting out the 6 months from amazon so I only have to pay the ETF, cause there's no way I could afford both.
    Cheaper isn't always better. That's why Amazon and all the other sites can offer the phones for a lot less than AT&T because they lock you in on higher plans and hit you with huge fees if you cancel. i agree with efn77mx that you should have canceled right away to avoid any issues. Sorry. Selling your Bold on eBay or Craigslist will help offset the cost of all the ETF's and fees. good luck
    05-31-09 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD