With the second major outage in the past few weeks, are any of you taking a second look at staying with RIM and Blackberry?
    12-23-09 07:32 AM
    Not at all. Outages are expected every once in a while, granted there have been a few in the past month, it doesn't happen often to warrant a departure from RIM related devices. Dont forget that popular services like GMail had their share of outages this year as well.
    12-23-09 07:37 AM
    Naw, I'm not going anywhere... Even though the outage was a stiff one in the anoos, the BB is still what's best for me, and when it's working (which is mostly all the time), I can't be any more satisfied with the experience.

I'll stick with BB.
    12-23-09 07:46 AM
    See the bright side, we're not using Sidekick.
    12-23-09 07:55 AM
    I might. A straight data plan is cheaper. But...I was thinking of the Omnia before the outages so I can't blame it on that.
    12-23-09 08:01 AM
    Not at all. Outages are expected every once in a while, granted there have been a few in the past month, it doesn't happen often to warrant a departure from RIM related devices.
    Agreed, I'm just curious if BlackBerry Messenger was really the cause of the outage or not. Working in a datacenter I can tell you we cover our behinds all the time, what really happened and what we tell you are two completely different things...
    12-23-09 08:07 AM
    I need reliability for my devices and unless RIM can fix their outdated system, I'll be chaanging brands. The new WM operating system looks promising and I do not see myself going the Droid route. I won't make a rash decision but I no longer have confidence in RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 08:07 AM
    No I am loyal to rim and atleast I know what to except. Other smart phone companies act like this never happens to them and that is a lie. It comes with the territory with owning a smartphone.

12-23-09 08:10 AM
    Guaranteed there has been a few big outages lately, but RIM is allowed so much downtime every year for service...
    12-23-09 08:12 AM
    Yeah, it's frustrating - especially since I use one for work and it's on 24/7. But, to answer your original question....nah. No second thoughts at all.
    12-23-09 08:17 AM
    no second thoughts for me either...staying put with my BB. Yeah, the outage was painful because I couldn't twitter, chat with BeeJive, emails, or get on the native browser but if needed I could still SMS and make a phone call so all was not completely lost. But I know that people that use their phones primarily for work had it a lil harder.
    12-23-09 08:21 AM
    I've thought about it since this morning but I've had my BB for about six months. I love it but I've been thinking about the Xperia X10 if it hits TMO. No reason to change right now. Outages happen whether you're with TMO or VZW. Luckily I was sleeping when this happened. LOL

12-23-09 08:24 AM
    No, I will never stray. I don't believe there is the possibility for perfection in a human world, so when things occassionally go awry I can go with the flow (even while cursing my lack of connection ) I am purely happy with my Blackberry, more so than any other phone. In fact my blackberry has become so much more than a phone to me
    12-23-09 08:26 AM
    given my level of BB addiction,**** noooo..
    12-23-09 08:35 AM
    I might. A straight data plan is cheaper. But...I was thinking of the Omnia before the outages so I can't blame it on that.
    I just came from the Droid (insert a different smartphone if you wish), and there is no cost difference between the two AFAIK. Its 29.99 no matter how you slice it.
    12-23-09 08:35 AM
    Other smart phone companies act like this never happens to them and that is a lie. It comes with the territory with owning a smartphone.
    Really? What other modern smartphone besides BB and the Sidekick (lolz) go through a central server for *all* phones (not just enterprise)? The only thing closest for the upcoming competitor to BB (iPhone) is Apple's push service which doesn't affect e-mail push.
    12-23-09 09:00 AM
    Considering that I was drooling all over the Droid about the time this outage happened, and before I even knew there was an outage, I'd say I am tempted. Especially, when I was checking out how cool the web browsing experience was on the Droid. A BIS outage by itself, is not enough to make me want to change platforms, but it is definately can be a dealbreaker if you're on the fence about switching. Once I read in the blog comments that using a 3rd party browser, like Bolt, can get you the internet, then I realized that there are alternatives to get past the inconvenience.

Outages are likely to continue to happen as more cell phone users jump from the simple phone to the smart phone, thus taxing networks with major traffic they didn't have before, but one should consider the overall experience of the platform before deciding to jump ship. I like how I can use themes, wallpapers, change the colors of my LED light, use shortcut apps to get to commonly used features on a click of button and use many of cool features that make a Blackberry a different experience than other platforms. I think the concept of leaving Blackberry will always be a temptation as other platforms improve in their comparison to Blackberry.
    12-23-09 09:05 AM
    We should all get flip-phones.
    12-23-09 01:04 PM
    we should all get flip-phones.
    rotflmao !
    12-23-09 01:07 PM
    I am typing while sleeping, so bare with me here. Thanks! I will be staying with RIM and my 9630 till I lose my arms.

Instead of getting flip-phones, let's all get satellite phones!

:snore: :drool: :groan: :zzzzz:

12-23-09 01:17 PM
    We should all get flip-phones.
    *shudder* No thank you.
    12-23-09 01:20 PM
    While any outage for any length of time is unacceptable, I wont be leaving anytime soon. I guess I'm just hoping that RIM will figure it out and correct their shortcomings. With so many business users depending on their mobile devices, an outage, like the one yesterday, is costly. Time is money after all. For a BIS user like myself, it's not such a huge deal, just an inconvenience.
    12-23-09 01:26 PM
    No I am loyal to rim and atleast I know what to except. Other smart phone companies act like this never happens to them and that is a lie. It comes with the territory with owning a smartphone.

? .. Other smartphone companies for the most part don't use servers - but the carrier network direct.
    12-23-09 01:34 PM
    I was interested to see what the rumored Google Phone is all about. I used to be very loyal to BB. It wasn't necessarily the outages that was frustrating, it was how it was handled. I'll likely switch to android.
    12-23-09 01:39 PM
    *shudder* No thank you.
    Why not? Be a part of something.
    12-23-09 01:47 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD