I still think that the Bold will be the first 3G model on AT&T, but does it make sense for a 3G Curve to be released on AT&T sometime soon too? My family plan is for AT&T, so I am not interested in going to another carrier for their 3G Curve.
    06-25-08 11:09 AM
    It won't happen.
    06-25-08 11:12 AM
    Nope it will not be happening at all.
    06-25-08 11:20 AM
    Well that sucks. I guess it makes sense though since the bold will be hitting soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 11:43 AM
    Even the curves replacement, the javelin is sans 3G. And as the news of At&t being unhappy with the Bolds "battery life and heat" issues causing delays, it sounds like RIM doesn't quite have a handle on HSDPA yet.
    06-25-08 11:49 AM
    Even the curves replacement, the javelin is sans 3G. And as the news of At&t being unhappy with the Bolds "battery life and heat" issues causing delays, it sounds like RIM doesn't quite have a handle on HSDPA yet.
    Sounds like they care more about releasing the best product they can.
    06-25-08 12:40 PM
    Will never happen. They would have to redesign Curve hardware to be 3G functional, first of all.

Second, they would be creating competition for their own device... the Bold
    06-25-08 12:50 PM
    We have a new family plan on AT&T. I got my wife the Blackberry Curve (she likes it) and my father-in-law a non-PDA device. However, I am holding out for an AT&T 3G device that meets my liking before I port my line from Sprint to AT&T. I was hopeful that a Blackberry 3G device (any model) would arrive soon to AT&T. Maybe I will try the iPhone.
    06-25-08 12:59 PM
    Sounds like they care more about releasing the best product they can.
    There is a fine line in releasing the best product you can, and releasing a product that is competitive in the marketplace at that time.

I'm not saying that its a bad idea to hold off on the Bold till it is right, I think it is a good idea. I just think as mobile data becomes more popular, especially with OS4.5 and HTML email, speed is going to be a factor sooner than later for RIM, and I don't want to see them get left behind because they are concentrating on touchscreens, flip-phones, and itunes syncing. All important, but not so much if they move at a snails pace compared to what else is out there.

I can get a samsung A737, nokia 6555, or LG CU515 for under $250 without a contract on At&t's website or under $20 w/2years. All have 3G data.

3G is the present, and RIM is late to the Party.
    06-25-08 01:56 PM
    There is a fine line in releasing the best product you can, and releasing a product that is competitive in the marketplace at that time.

I'm not saying that its a bad idea to hold off on the Bold till it is right, I think it is a good idea. I just think as mobile data becomes more popular, especially with OS4.5 and HTML email, speed is going to be a factor sooner than later for RIM, and I don't want to see them get left behind because they are concentrating on touchscreens, flip-phones, and itunes syncing. All important, but not so much if they move at a snails pace compared to what else is out there.

I can get a samsung A737, nokia 6555, or LG CU515 for under $250 without a contract on At&t's website or under $20 w/2years. All have 3G data.

+1, I've seen other eletronic devices, not just phone get thrown out there just to get in the door, then they hit you with firmware and/or software updates later as they are perfected. But the point is to get the product out while it is still relevant. Wait too long and by the time you get it out, the hype will be over and someone else will have beat you to the punch. Apple is already talking about a slider and if they get it out or even get enough talk about it before the thunder, they'll have the drop on RIM.....again.
    07-02-08 12:18 PM

How many are PDAs? I say this because there is a lot more that goes into these phones than just a 3g antenna. Not too many have 3g with the Curve's form factor and capabilities... Also 3g is available, just not GSM 3g (UMTS) as it's has to do with battery issue and other factors. UMTS runs off both data and voice... RIM has to ensure that this can be done smoothly especially when running at the same time.
    07-02-08 02:06 PM
    3g is 3g is 3g buddy. Rim and apple are both late to the party. However it is understandable. Ill be honest though I had a 3g sprint treo and the bb browser on the curve is just as fast if not faster because the palm os browser is bad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD