I've decided to purchase an iphone. Before I purchase one from Telus I wanted to find out if there would be any downsides to using and iphone on Telus' network.

Would their be any benefit to having an iphone on Rogers or Bell compared to Telus?
    08-22-10 07:18 PM
    Don't have an iPhone, but the only differences I could see would be who offers a better plan and has the best coverage in your area.
    08-22-10 09:33 PM
    iphone is a downside already..
    08-22-10 10:30 PM
    @Jonesm:

Best to test it out first. Make sure there is a no questions attached return policy.
    Really, I think Telus's network is better than AT&T's. (Unscientific, based on me seeing fewer complaints about them on-line).
    Personally, my coverage has been equal to what I had with my CDMA Curve 8330, while I have read of otheriPhone owners on Telus who had to return the devices due to dropped calls, poor data coverage etc.

As for plans, all 3 of them recently came out with a 5GB extra/plan. (Not sure if it was Bell or Rogers, but one of them included some form of tethering on their new 5GB plan). Great if you plan on downloading and streaming stuff all day.
    My usage is mostly browsing, I try not to download anything unless I'm on wifi, and a 500MB plan is enough.

Don't have an iPhone, but the only differences I could see would be who offers a better plan and has the best coverage in your area.
    What he said ^^^
    x
    x
    x
    Ignore this guy:
    08-23-10 05:32 AM
    quoted for truth
    08-23-10 04:11 PM
    quoted for truth
    Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.
    08-23-10 04:34 PM
    I was with AT&T when I lived in TX, their 3G coverage was spotty at best. When I roamed onto Rogers here in NE Alberta with that phone I didn't have much more luck.

Since I switched, I haven't had one issue with Telus' coverage; either CDMA or HSPA.
    08-23-10 05:05 PM
    iPhones are power hungry. the only possible downside i can see if you choose to turn off 3G to save battery power, you will get no service. VS rogers, you can use EDGE (they call it 2G but its technically 3G) which is an older technology that does not suck as much juice... mind you i don;t think this would make a huge difference. But Telus seems to have a better network so i say go for it
    08-23-10 05:18 PM
    Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.
    REPEATING
    10 chars
    08-24-10 09:45 AM
    08-24-10 10:14 AM
    The iPhone on Bell is exactly the same as Telus (only difference is plans and levels of customer service). Rogers may have a slightly higher range for signal as they have EDGE in certain areas without 3G, but then again, Telus/Bell have signal in areas where Roger's doesn't, so all in all, it makes no difference where the phone comes from. It's more up to you and the plan that you want and the company you'd rather deal with.
    08-24-10 01:30 PM
    Basically repeating everything already said, but:
    - Bell and Telus are the same network
    - from my experience, Telus has the best service and best priced plans (especially for students) but I know that's up for debate
    - the new Belus network is supposedly faster than Rogers', and is expanding fast so will be bigger if it isn't already, but I have no scientific data to support that. Check the coverage maps on their websites to make sure they're good in your area, though.
    - Rogers has the advantage of having the old network you could turn your phone down to if you don't care for speed and want to save battery power
    08-31-10 10:11 AM
    Basically repeating everything already said, but:
    - Bell and Telus are the same network
    - from my experience, Telus has the best service and best priced plans (especially for students) but I know that's up for debate
    - the new Belus network is supposedly faster than Rogers', and is expanding fast so will be bigger if it isn't already, but I have no scientific data to support that. Check the coverage maps on their websites to make sure they're good in your area, though.
    - Rogers has the advantage of having the old network you could turn your phone down to if you don't care for speed and want to save battery power
    The Belus network IS bigger than Rogers, covers a higher percentage of Canadians.
    I think 92% of Canadas population is covered?
    08-31-10 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD