I am traveling to Europe in a few weeks, and I was looking into unlocking my Tour so I could purchase a pre-paid sim card so I could use my phone while over there. Turns out while asking questions on another thread, I found out that the US Cellular Tours come unlocked from the factory. This is great. It is nice to know that us US Cellular Tour owners don't have to drop any more cash to use the GSM function, like you have to do with some of the other carriers. Thanks again US Cellular. Another happy customer here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 12:24 PM
    I used to have USCC, and on a whole, I really liked them as a company. I had signal issues at my house which was maddening, and I was also stuck using their archaic 1X network, I didn't have any EVDO, which I find to be absolutely rediculous in this day and age, especially living in a major midwestern metropolitan area, which is USCC's niche.

That is pretty cool though that it's unlocked out of the box!
    12-11-09 02:31 PM
    I used to have USCC, and on a whole, I really liked them as a company. I had signal issues at my house which was maddening, and I was also stuck using their archaic 1X network, I didn't have any EVDO, which I find to be absolutely rediculous in this day and age, especially living in a major midwestern metropolitan area, which is USCC's niche.

That is pretty cool though that it's unlocked out of the box!

Yea seems like you would have 1XEV (3G) in a major area, I live in a small town in NC and I have great 3G coverage, but all in all US Cellular is a excellent rual carrier. I honestly hope they don't change too much because it seems the bigger some carriers get, they could care less about customer service.
    12-11-09 02:41 PM
    I understand, and if there's one thing that I really liked about USCC was their fantastic customer service. I really didn't have many complaints with USCC, like I said if I had 3G and if I didn't have signal issues at my house I'd still be with them.

I was so strange to me that they didn't have 3G where I'm at, especially when USCC's headquarters is in Chicago, you would think that St. Louis would be a no brainer! Unfortunately no, not the case. Oh well, what can you do!
    12-11-09 02:44 PM
    Yes I agree about the customer service - really top notch. I have called several times and always hung up pleased with what transpired. With regards to EVDO in stl I totally agree...but I'm pulling it now finally, and hopefully it will become solid signal soon.

12-12-09 01:07 PM
    I live in Oregon and have never ever ever had anything more than 1X. So whatev. Who knows what will happen in awhile. And I hate their customer service.
    12-13-09 12:44 PM
    I live in Oregon and have never ever ever had anything more than 1X. So whatev. Who knows what will happen in awhile. And I hate their customer service.
    I've heard 3G should be here by end of 1Q 2010 so we will see, nice to see someone local around here.
    12-13-09 01:05 PM
    It's usually a carrier decision, but a carrier will provide the unlock code for your device if you fall within their guidelines.
    12-13-09 09:03 PM
    Why don't they just give it unlocked to begin with? It's not like att would worry about you leaving them if they gave you the unlock. And Sprint/Verizon/US Cell don't have GSM towers, so I don't understand it. It's not like they would lose money if it's unlocked.
    12-14-09 04:21 PM
    Ok I am totally clueless why would you need your phone unlocked? What does that allow you to do with it?
    02-08-10 12:43 AM
    Im Pretty sure most if not all Tour are coming unlocked now, Mine on Sprint is Unlocked right out the box
    02-08-10 02:25 AM
    I don't think USCC has any real partnerships with out-of-country GSM carriers, so it makes sense to have the Tour unlocked to begin with. That way, you can get a prepaid SIM for the country you go to and not have any issues once there.
    02-08-10 07:43 AM
    Most Sprint Tours do but you can always check yourself before making a purchase.

1. Go to settings menu and then Options
    2. Select Advanced options and then SIM card
    3. Type MEPD using your Blackberry keyboard (NOTE: You will not see any text appear on the screen while typing MEPD)

If after the last step the network says disabled or inactive then it is already unlocked.
    02-08-10 10:49 AM
    I'm planning on studying abroad in australia next spring. If I get a tour will I be able to use a prepaid SIM card too. If so how much do they cost and what does it include? Mins? Sms? Data?

02-08-10 03:06 PM
    You would need to search for Australian carriers and then visit their websites for more info.
    02-08-10 03:31 PM
    Uscc has amazing customer service.

I called in during a blackberry outage for an eta, and it was on my birthday. The rep wished me a happy birthday right off the bat, and then I got a $50 bill credit for the issue and because it was my bday. Even though I have some 3g issues at my house, I don't think I will ever switch

02-23-10 12:07 AM
    Man! I'm gonna have to test your theory and go up to the corporate store to pay my bill next month on my birthday! I usually pay through 611.
    02-23-10 01:45 PM
    Man! I'm gonna have to test your theory and go up to the corporate store to pay my bill next month on my birthday! I usually pay through 611.
    I did call 611 on my bday. There just happened to be a blackberry outage on the same day lol

02-23-10 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD