Okay, here's my issue. I won't get into the specifics about the phone glitch I've encountered, but in a nutshell the phone is useless to me in the holster because I can't hear it. No matter the settings. RIM now knows about this, I received an email from them stating it's a known issue, and will be resolved in the next software update.

Well at the speed at which Verizon releases software updates, that's going to be maybe 6 or 7 months from now. That's a VERY long time to be waiting. I called customer service and explained to them that I am in fact, feeling VERY put off having to pay a hundred bucks a month, for a device that's not working the way I NEED it to. I'd asked about the possibility of exchanging it for a different device, one that's running newer software. All they said was that because I am past my 30 days, there was nothing they could do.

This really ruined my day, and I am now heavily considering paying the ETF and jumping ship. Is there anything else I should try to do first? A different level of CS I should ask to talk to? Switching carriers is definitely going to be a last resort. Verizon's coverage is definitely superior around here, and I'd hate to give that up over this.
    12-03-09 09:43 AM
    If VZW does not make the phones, why is it their responsibility to fix a RIM problem? Stop using the holster. Or get a Certified Replacement phone.
    12-03-09 09:51 AM
    If VZW does not make the phones, why is it their responsibility to fix a RIM problem? Stop using the holster. Or get a Certified Replacement phone.
    I agree with this but unfortunately its how it goes, we support em so its our problem.
    12-03-09 10:00 AM
    I agree with this but unfortunately its how it goes, we support em so its our problem.
    True, but a known issue with a holster preventing sounds is not a device issue, but a software issue, as they told them it will be fixed with the next software release. So, VZW only approves software not develop them, so a new choice is for them to wait for the SW update.
    12-03-09 11:01 AM
    I mean come on, if you're using an accessory that inhibits the use of your phone, STOP USING IT. Is that not a logical solution?
    12-03-09 11:02 AM
    I mean come on, if you're using an accessory that inhibits the use of your phone, STOP USING IT. Is that not a logical solution?
    No it's not a logical solution. I'm not one to just throw my phone in my pocket along with my keys and let it get all beat to ****. The holster I'm using came with this phone, made specifically for this phone by RIM, and the device was designed behave a certain way while inside a Blackberry supplied holster. So why would I WANT to stop using it? I like to protect my phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 11:38 AM
    No it's not a logical solution. I'm not one to just throw my phone in my pocket along with my keys and let it get all beat to ****. The holster I'm using came with this phone, made specifically for this phone by RIM, and the device was designed behave a certain way while inside a Blackberry supplied holster. So why would I WANT to stop using it? I like to protect my phone

I understand wanting to protect your phone, as I feel the same way. I am sure though, some where out there, possibly, they might make different cases or covers for your phone. Because the case that comes with the phone has a mag-strip in it that shuts off certain functions of the phone, so if you adjust the settings and it doesn't work use a case or cover that does not have a mag-strip.....yes, it's that easy.
    12-03-09 11:58 AM
    it will not matter what kind of holster he uses, the ringer on a blackberry is not loud enough,, i have tried many different holsters and still cannot hear it
    12-03-09 12:06 PM
    it will not matter what kind of holster he uses, the ringer on a blackberry is not loud enough,, i have tried many different holsters and still cannot hear it
    Really? Have you tried different ringtones? I can hear my phone even if its up stairs.
    12-03-09 12:10 PM
    I wonder why you didn't realize this problem before the 30 days were up. Seriously, cases and holsters are cheaper than phones. Buy a new case or holster.

12-03-09 12:56 PM
    I wonder why you didn't realize this problem before the 30 days were up. Seriously, cases and holsters are cheaper than phones. Buy a new case or holster.

my issue didn't start until the last update was pushed out 2 weeks ago. So that could very well be why I didn't realize this before my 30 days were up

12-03-09 01:47 PM
    Could always try putting the phone in backwards so that the magnet strip doesn't hit. If you can get it to fit that way at least. I'm not sure exactly what the Tour holsters are like.
    12-03-09 01:57 PM
    On "a" Blckberry? I always keep my Storm 1 on loud profile and its ten times as loud when it rings even in the BlackBerry pouch.

12-03-09 03:02 PM
    If the new software is the problem, then downgrade...

12-03-09 04:21 PM
    So what exactly is the issue? Does the phone not ring while its holstered? When its in stand by mode?

12-03-09 08:29 PM
    Agreed - but it was a software update & those are excluded from the WFG.

Could always try putting the phone in backwards so that the magnet strip doesn't hit. If you can get it to fit that way at least. I'm not sure exactly what the Tour holsters are like.
    Sorry, but if it is an OEM case - or even many aftermarkets - the magnet switch works all four ways.

If the new software is the problem, then downgrade...
    Best solution right there. Maybe.

What I don't understand is this - if there is some "known issue" with the holstered settings (there isn't), why not just turn off the holstered mode? If you can't figure out how to do that, maybe get a holster sans magnet?

If you click on your profiles (you can hit the 'F' key from your home screen as a shortcut), you are provided with a list of different settings for your phone: Loud, Vibrate, Quiet, Normal, Phone, Off. Pay special attention to anything that sets up the device behavior while holstered.
    12-03-09 08:46 PM
    So what exactly is the issue? Does the phone not ring while its holstered? When its in stand by mode?

The exact issue is: I cannot set a custom ringtone or SMS tone for ANYONE. If I do, then the phone will stop making any noise from anyone when it's in the holster. Right now the only thing I've changed is the default ringer and default message tone. So for right now, if someone calls or sends a text, the phone (when holstered) will vibrate twice like it's supposed to, then it makes the sound.

But if I customize the sounds for any ONE of my contacts, the phone only vibrates. It won't actually make a sound. And it doesn't matter if the person calling or sending me a text does NOT have any custom tones assigned to him/her. Once I delete any custom contact alert entries, then all is well again.

One of my co-workers just got himself a blackberry...a Storm actually which is already running OS 5. He asks me "hey...can you show me how you do that thing to where if certain people call me..it won't actually ring?" I said "sure...I'll be more than happy to show you.....too bad I can't do the same damn thing anymore..." So yes, it's irritating in the sense that I also have certain people I don't want to hear from while I'm at work...so I modified their profiles. For now I just have to live with this until another update is released.

I've decided I'm not going to go running into the arms of another carrier. Truthfully I fault RIM a lot more than I would Verizon. I'd even thought of trying a different brand of smartphone...like Android, but I honestly like Blackberry way too much. I'm too chicken**** to try anything else. What I AM gonna do...is to save my pennies and dimes so that I can outright buy a Storm 2, and keep this Tour as a backup. End of rant...
    12-03-09 09:25 PM

What I don't understand is this - if there is some "known issue" with the holstered settings (there isn't), why not just turn off the holstered mode? If you can't figure out how to do that, maybe get a holster sans magnet?

If you click on your profiles (you can hit the 'F' key from your home screen as a shortcut), you are provided with a list of different settings for your phone: Loud, Vibrate, Quiet, Normal, Phone, Off. Pay special attention to anything that sets up the device behavior while holstered.
    trust me, I played around with all that when I had Blackberry on the phone. If you remember how it was like modifying sound profiles on devices running 4.6 or earlier, when compared to how it is with 4.7 and newer....I REALLY miss the old way. It was much simpler, and it just worked. This is what I'm referring to:
    12-03-09 09:31 PM
    Just get one of these:

That will solve all your problems!
    12-03-09 09:58 PM
    ... and create a few more lol
    12-03-09 10:02 PM
    Just get one of these:

That has to be the ugliest POS I have ever seen in some time. Get me 7 of them.
    12-03-09 10:04 PM
    The exact issue is: I cannot set a custom ringtone or SMS tone for ANYONE. If I do, then the phone will stop making any noise from anyone when it's in the holster. Right now the only thing I've changed is the default ringer and default message tone. So for right now, if someone calls or sends a text, the phone (when holstered) will vibrate twice like it's supposed to, then it makes the sound.

But if I customize the sounds for any ONE of my contacts, the phone only vibrates. It won't actually make a sound. And it doesn't matter if the person calling or sending me a text does NOT have any custom tones assigned to him/her. Once I delete any custom contact alert entries, then all is well again.

One of my co-workers just got himself a blackberry...a Storm actually which is already running OS 5. He asks me "hey...can you show me how you do that thing to where if certain people call me..it won't actually ring?" I said "sure...I'll be more than happy to show you.....too bad I can't do the same damn thing anymore..." So yes, it's irritating in the sense that I also have certain people I don't want to hear from while I'm at work...so I modified their profiles. For now I just have to live with this until another update is released.

I've decided I'm not going to go running into the arms of another carrier. Truthfully I fault RIM a lot more than I would Verizon. I'd even thought of trying a different brand of smartphone...like Android, but I honestly like Blackberry way too much. I'm too chicken**** to try anything else. What I AM gonna do...is to save my pennies and dimes so that I can outright buy a Storm 2, and keep this Tour as a backup. End of rant...
    That's weird, I did the update and I am able to have Contact alerts just fine. All I had to do was save my pennies for a different case. Go fig....
    12-03-09 10:06 PM
    Just get one of these:

Holy f***. That thing is horrendous... however it would solve the problem. Hahahahahahaha
    12-03-09 10:24 PM
    I think the little alligator is kinda cool.
    12-04-09 07:01 AM

To be honest... I haven't heard of this problem...

I've had a Tour for some time now, though I have been updating it with leaked OS versions (not supported by Verizon), and have had no issues with any alerts with any contacts, even when holstered. I didn't even know that this was a known issue, and haven't heard anything about it. That's not to say that there isn't a known issue, but I just haven't run into it yet.

Have you tried re-loading the OS?
    12-04-09 07:24 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD