Ok so i have been doing my research, trying to find the best way and most affordable way to unlock my verizon tour 9630.
    I just got off the phone with a verizon wireless service rep who told me he never heard of unlock codes for international travel. I cant tell if hes new or just blowing smoke.
    I really am traveling to New Zealand next month and plan on suspending my service with verizon and then using a vodafone SIM while i am there....therefore need to be unlocked.
    I am wondering though...when my phone is turned on or rebooted and it starts up again...it asks me if I want to choose a network (CDMA or GSM) or if i just let it choose whichever...I cant remember the exact wording but its along those lines. I usually just let it choose whichever due to the fact that im not network savvy and dont want to screw something up.
    Can anyone tell me what that means? Or just overall help me with this.
    01-06-10 05:42 PM
    Never heard that, but all Verizon Tours I have seen come locked.

Follow the directions below:

1. Go to settings menu and then Options
    2. Select Advanced options and then SIM card
    3. Type MEPD using your Blackberry keyboard (NOTE: You will not see any text appear on the screen while typing MEPD)

Do all this with a sim card inside. If it states everything is disabled or inactive then it is truly unlocked.
    01-06-10 07:39 PM
    Never heard that, but all Verizon Tours I have seen come locked.

Follow the directions below:

1. Go to settings menu and then Options
    2. Select Advanced options and then SIM card
    3. Type MEPD using your Blackberry keyboard (NOTE: You will not see any text appear on the screen while typing MEPD)

Do all this with a sim card inside. If it states everything is disabled or inactive then it is truly unlocked.
    There is no SIM card in it as of yet. I wish to do that when I am over in New Zealand to get service that way. But I did do the instructions you said and everything says "disabled" except for Network which says "active".
    What does this mean?
    01-06-10 07:50 PM
    Actually do have a sim card in there all Verizon world phones have a Verizon/Vodafone sim card inside or you would not get that screen. "Active" means your device is locked. You will need to obtain a unlock code.
    01-06-10 07:56 PM
    Will changing it to either the CDMA or GSM system help my overall problem and what i am trying to achieve?
    01-06-10 09:33 PM
    As stated above you need to get it unlocked. Whether you choose gsm now or not won't solve anything since it is not unlocked.
    01-06-10 09:55 PM
    There is no SIM card in it as of yet. I wish to do that when I am over in New Zealand to get service that way. But I did do the instructions you said and everything says "disabled" except for Network which says "active".
    What does this mean?
    Your phone is locked and you will need to unlock it in order to be able to use it with any GSM SIM card.
    01-07-10 10:25 AM
    Let us know if you need any help getting a code. It will have to be unlocked for sure
    01-07-10 06:11 PM
    Okay so I just got my phone unlocked by verizon. YAY. this was the second call i had to make...but i talked to a customer service rep who actually knew what he was doing and they sent me to global services and the girl instructed me how to do it, gave me the code and explained everything. she was super nice about it too.
    So now that that is all figured out (whew) I was also asking about suspending my service while I was out of the country for those few months. Apparently its $15 to suspend for 2 months. Yep...15 bucks to NOT use my phone. ugh...verizon....lame. Anyways...im wondering...this doesnt effect what im trying to do by using an international sim card right? did anyone else suspend service while out of the country and using a local sim card?
    01-08-10 02:07 PM
    No you will be fine because you will be using the gsm side not the cdma one.
    01-08-10 05:46 PM
    Okay so I just got my phone unlocked by verizon. YAY. this was the second call i had to make...but i talked to a customer service rep who actually knew what he was doing and they sent me to global services and the girl instructed me how to do it, gave me the code and explained everything. she was super nice about it too.
    So now that that is all figured out (whew) I was also asking about suspending my service while I was out of the country for those few months. Apparently its $15 to suspend for 2 months. Yep...15 bucks to NOT use my phone. ugh...verizon....lame. Anyways...im wondering...this doesnt effect what im trying to do by using an international sim card right? did anyone else suspend service while out of the country and using a local sim card?
    You can still use a SIM card on the GSM portion of the phone even if the service is suspended
    01-08-10 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD